RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to RunUO Where do i start

ninsha

Wanderer
Hello, I have been an Ultima fan for years. I would like to show my kids the game i played. I want to start a small lan server for our use.

I downloaded the files on the run UO site but i am not sure where to start or what to do. Is there a dummies guide to starting a server?

Soteric

Knight
Download. Specify path to client in Scripts\Misc\DataPath.cs. Specify IP address in Scripts\Misc\ServerList.cs. Enjoy :)

Safera

Page
  1. Download an Ultima Online Client (you will need to be logged in here to view them) and install it; take note of the location on your computer where it is installed as you will need that file path location (Supported clients are discussed here).
  2. Download the latest RunUO 2.2 Emulator (it's in .zip format, so you'll need to unpack it using Winzip or some other utility).
  3. Once extracted, open DataPath.cs (which is in the Scripts > Misc folder) and make sure that the path points to your correct UO client installation path:
    private static string CustomPath = @"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic";
  4. Navigate back to your main RunUO file folder and run (double click on): .RunUO.exe
  5. A Command Line Interface should popup saying that your RunUO shard is running. It will ask you to create an Admin account.
  6. In order to connect to your shard, download Razor and run it as per the instructions.

ninsha

Wanderer
Hello Thank you foe the info I was able to get a server going. Only problem i have is there is no mob spawn in Tram and everytime i go in a placed house i get stuck in the floor

Thank you again for the help

Safera

Page
If you are getting stuck in the floor it is probably because your client files aren't matching your server files. This is most likely caused by:
  1. forgetting to copy over your map.mul/statics.mul/staidx.mul to both your server "client" folder AND client "client" folder OR
  2. an incorrect datapath in your DataPath.cs.
  3. Another possibility is that your client version is not compatible with the RunUO version that you are running.

For more help with this error, look here:
http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/falling-through-floor.524079/

Regarding no monsters or content, try out Nerun's Distro for a fully spawned world. It's a "must-have".

ninsha

Wanderer
when you say forgetting to copy over your map.mul/statics.mul/staidx.mul to both your server "client" folder AND client "client" folder OR

where am i coping this files form

Safera

Page
First question is which client & runuo versions are you using?
Second question is are you hosting the runuo shard on your own computer?

Then to answer your question, assuming you are hosting your own shard:
You should have 2 copies of the client on your computer.

1 copy is used for the server, to be used by runuo to run the game (this is the client referenced in your datpath).

The second copy of the client is what you use to play the game. You shouldn't use the same client that runuo is using as your personal client. So you should have 2 copies of the UO Client on your computer.

Now, both of these Clients need to be exactly the same, just like your players' clients need to match your shard's client.

Soteric

Knight
I think that's not the issue in your case. You have to separate client and server mul files only in case you're going to use [freeze/[unfreeze commands.

Safera

Page
Good point, Soteric. I got side-tracked off topic by not re-reading through the past posts.

If you do not have 2 clients installed on your computer, then mismatched files cannot be your problem with falling through the floor in the first place.

But you could still have an incorrect datapath or incompatible client/runuo versions. So still answer those two questions, if you would.

Thx, Soteric for pointing that out.

ninsha

Wanderer
i am using the one off the UO website fully patched. Also i use Razor to load it. I am running the UO server on my computer. I set it up just for me and my kids. Also i am not the only one getting stuck. I asked my brother to log in from San Deagio useing the same client i am and he is having the same issue

Safera

Page
Are you using the .zip file of runuo 2.2 or did you download and compile the SVN?

I don't keep up with the newest versions of RunUO, but my understanding was that only the SVN is compatible with clients post 7.0.23.1. (see the link I posted above for a little more info regarding this). Otherwise, you'll have to use a different client, some of which you can find here if you login.

ninsha

Wanderer
i am using runuo 2.2 which i got from this site i have never heard of the SVN untill i started reading this site