RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New version of World Maker(Map Editor)

Dekaru

Sorceror
New version of World Maker(Map Editor)

I've been using Punt's world maker for some time now, and in the process ended up altering it and implementing new features as I needed them.

Recently I realized my version has a considerable amount of improvements and bug fixes over the original so I decided to go ahead and release it back to the community...

I added a help menu that details most non-explicit key-combos and features(some added by me and some that were already present but hidden enough that I did not find them until I was browsing the source code)

One modification that deserves further note is the new palette.xml that is way more complex and powerful than the original's, supporting more advanced brushes such as:
- multi-tiles(tree plus leaves or a mushroom ring),
- random tiles(random tile from a list of tiles such as forest vegetation or flowers),
- tile lists(use scroll wheel to cycle through several tiles),
- transitions(basically a specialized tile list, making it easier to add new transitions and paint them).

I have fully converted the terrain palette to the new format but the statics palette conversion is unfinished, the "Natural" section has been converted but after that it's just a huge list of statics, the worst offender are all the walls and floors that could benefit greatly from being converted to transition brushes.

If you want to compile it from source you will need to get QT
I used version 4.5.2(or 2009.03.1 as it is often called).

Hopefully someone will find this map editor useful, let me know your opinions and any problems you might find.

Edit: version 1.1 changes how the editor opens the UO data files, hopefully this will fix a crash some people were experiencing when setting file paths.

Attachments

• World Maker Dekaru's Edition 1.1.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 654
  • World Maker Dekaru's Edition 1.1 Source.zip
    331.6 KB · Views: 161

Dekaru

Sorceror
Galdar;808324 said:
I get invalid archive error from WinZIP on this ...

That's odd, I used 7-zip to create the archive, you might want to try that... but I have no issues using the default windows zip file handler to open it.

just like all other zip files up here on runuo - need to extract the single file in there and rename it to have a .zp extention then rextract from it

what i have a problem with is the program
constant crashes with it (trying to reference memory errors mostly)

but can not get a map to load, can not draw in it or anything

might want to include a a little better set of direction than those of just the "help" has
like what other files it needs in the directory
does it need bitmaps beforehand or just the mul files, etc etc

Dekaru

Sorceror
Lord_Greywolf;808491 said:
what i have a problem with is the program
constant crashes with it (trying to reference memory errors mostly)

but can not get a map to load, can not draw in it or anything

might want to include a a little better set of direction than those of just the "help" has
like what other files it needs in the directory
does it need bitmaps beforehand or just the mul files, etc etc

hmm, that's odd, that part wasn't changed at all(from Punt's version), just go to options->Mul locations and then restart the program after setting them to make sure they take effect.

Dekaru

Sorceror
Lord_Greywolf;808557 said:
they are set to use the same directory
i have copied over all of the mul's and map files into it, and still nothing

Make sure you're including the file names as well as the folder for each file like in the attached image.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 161
they do have the names, except the map directory, every time i try putting in something in there, i get that crash of can't reference memory
so it is blank, which i guess is the default, instead of like the others that default to the directory that the exe is in

Dekaru

Sorceror
Lord_Greywolf;808563 said:
they do have the names, except the map directory, every time i try putting in something in there, i get that crash of can't reference memory
so it is blank, which i guess is the default, instead of like the others that default to the directory that the exe is in

I don't know what to say, as I haven't touched that part of the code nor ran into that issue, do you have any problems with the original version?

what version of .nets do you have, what OS are you running
those versions might be why i am having problems and you don't
maybe even that i am AMD and not Intel based can even make differences some times

Dekaru

Sorceror
I'm revising the code used to open the data files, I'll have an updated version of the program up tonight, that will fix the issue or at least make it easier to determine what's going on.

Dekaru

Sorceror
Ok, version 1.1 is up, check the first post for it.

@Lord_Greywolf: Let me know if that fixes your problem.

Sexy-Vampire

Sorceror
looks nice to me doute i will ever do maps i played abit with coustome patches and failed horably even with one that auto made the body dat . but i think this is set up good and could help thos who like doing thease things alot

well i was missing the 2 tex map files - never herd of them before, never used them in any map making at all - what are they used for?

but if i try to load a map, comes up blank and still can not draw

try to change the map directory - as soon as i click on browse, it gives me the crash of memory error
same if i try to type one in also