RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

newb saying hi

Vaul

Traveler
Hi all! I'm Vaul, used to play UO & got burnt out with it a few years back. Played on the Lake Superior shard for 9 years. I've been jonesing to start playing again, but decided to try running my own server. I'm hoping to have about 20 people play with & just wondering what the server specs should be?

Also I was looking & didn't find anything, but was hoping someone thought like myself. Is there any evolving roads code? I'd like to be able if foot traffic is high that a beaten path is made. Then it might possibly move to a dirt road or more. This was always one of the things I wish would of been implemented for the player run communities.

Thanks,
Vaul

Safera

Page
For about 20 people to play, you should be able to use any computer from the last 5 years without issue and your home bandwidth restrictions should suit you just fine (as long as you still aren't on dial-up for some reason).

Regarding the "evolving roads" script. There is no similar public script available, mostly because that would require dynamic map editing and it causes issues like "how do you send the features to the user without having to send everyone a new map daily?" etc.

Anyway, I just wrote a Quick Start guide here:
New to RunUO Where do i start

Might help you get started. Good luck!

Vaul

Traveler
Thank you! Well I was just hoping there might be something out there. Wish there was more evolving gameplay.

Vaul

Traveler
Dredging an old post back up, but think I've figure out the "evolving" road.

I'd implement the Knives Town Hall script with the landscaping tool as well but in a deed form. So there can be dedicated guild towns. Just some additional script code to make it evolve on a ticker at world save.

Would this work?

m309

Squire
You should definitely check out Praxiiz's release of the Ultima Live Editor. It allows changes to Land and Static tiles on the fly while the server is running. I can almost guarantee some sort of an "evolving road" could be possible using his framework. You could also probably reverse it with a "degrading road" for roads that remain untraveled for long periods.