RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

omfgooses i like this

milt

Knight
omfgooses i like this

Yo wouldn't it be cool if you could have a command that brings up a gump, with an interface. In the interface, you can paste a script into it and then click send, and then it would create the file as a .cs in a special folder on the hosts computer, that way, if the host is a scripting newbie then their scriptor can access that to help out. Also, was thinking it would be even cooler to actually be able to open a script and edit it, but I dont wanna push it. I would actually like to start this, but would need some help. If you are interested, AIM me at TrueBornStunna or just reply back to this message. Thanks!

Dark Rage

Wanderer
I'm not sure what the point would be. Other than to be ingame when you send the script....

I mean....you have remote access tools that do the same thing....and you access the files directly.

milt

Knight
Remote access tools built into RunUO? WinXP remote access would be a pain in the butt to do all the time, you gotta get permission and times and all type off stuff and it laggs.

Tark

Wanderer
heh i just use Remote desktop...but then nobody actually uses the server computer other than us admins remote accessing it.

milt

Knight
Well okay, but that is a lil too much, anyone know of a simple program that connects to friends comp and u can juss edit files or add them from ur hd... i dont like the whole mouse thing where i can actually move it and have complete remote access... it laggs a lot

A_Li_N

Knight
FTP with full rights will give you most of what you want. Will let you download the file to edit on your side and then upload it back. You won't be able to restart the server with it though (that I know of) But I think there are remote admins for RunUO to do that

Dark Rage

Wanderer
Either that or download the files yourself, have the host send you any modified scripts. You can run the server to test your changes and then either email your modified (or custom) scripts back to your host.....or as Ali N just said....ftp them.

milt

Knight
Ok so does anyone know a good free FTP service that I could use for this? I've made an accnt at byethost.com but I am not quite sure how to set things up?

milt

Knight
Okay thanks everyone. It seems like no one is really interested in my idea? I think it would be sooo much easier to just make this script. I guess since no one is interested in helping, could anyone please tell me if it is even possible?

Bugbear_1

Sorceror
So A Li N do alot of people use the FTP sites you listed. Before I download one and use it to find some open files for UO how safe are they as far as virus's and such and is there alot of scripts on the FTP downloads pages for the RunUO??? Just a question :)

TMSTKSBK

Lord
I swear by Guild FTPd...it's a GUI interface that lets you edit users, paths, and rights without having to know FTP commands. Which is good...b/c I don't know the commands. :confused:

http://www.guildftpd.com/

Simple to use...set it up on the host computer, and use IE or Filezilla (doesn't like FF for some reason) to go to ftp://*hostip*

And to adress milt's question:

Anything is possible...but not all things are really worth doing. Yes, you probably could create a .cs from a text box on a gump, but unless you don't have any access to the server box, it'd be a lot easier to install an FTP server on it and upload your file to the directory with no middleman.
Besides that, there might be formatting errors and other things that you didn't catch, or that happen inadvertently, that would be a real headache to work out. This just isn't the best idea ever, and that's why a bunch of people are trying to talk you out of it.

Don't feel bad or anything...I have lots of ideas that are not worthy of working on. Keep it up and you'll think of something awesome eventually! (and then...we will help!)

Quantos

Lord
Pandora's Box already has such a feature in the Box Server option. It may not be exactly what you are thinking of, but it will probably be as close as it gets.

I use RealVNC Religiously when I'm at work and need to get to my server at home.

Install the Server as a service and it comes on when the PC starts up allowing you to log in as whoever in case the pc goes down for God knows what reason. set up your port forwarding (port 5900) if you use a router. Set a password for the login. install viewer on whatever pc you'll be using to access the server from connect to the IP or host name if you got one. Easy Peasy 1 2 3sy.

it also has lots of options on how you will connect like removing desktop pics and the like for less bandwidth usage. it's kinda like PCAnywhere toned down a lot cuz you're just looking at and using the PC not able to transfer files to and from PCs with it as of Version 4. But it serves the purpose I need it for :)

NovaStorm

Wanderer
yes i wil stand my realvnc... i've been using it for years to do many things... used to be called winvnc...

great piece of software

i'm not aware of any security issues, but one can never tell...

and as far as ftp servers.... i use serv-u... also a very good piece of software, has usage tacks, logs, bandwith usage settings..... evry thing u could need i think