RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Open source XNA Ultima Online client

Anti-Gremlin

Wanderer
Just got into one of my UO urges, has been awhile since my last one, just stumbled across this and have to say i'm loving what I am seeing! Keep up the good work guys, i've bookmarked this thread to keep an eye on it.

Mideon

Page
I've checked out the source code for the client but I'm unable to build it successfully....

Looks like a bunch of UI files are not present? Does anyone know at what revision the client successfully builds at? Or anyone have any idea what I messed up? lol

Thanks.

Jeff

Lord
They are missing, just remove them. The trunk code was a work in progress before Pop got his job. He plans on getting back to it, he has just be really busy lately.

Lokai

Knight
For those wishing to try this, if you check out Revision 234, it will work. Just Build it in VS2008, then Debug it, start your Server, and log in. Commands work ok. Right-click and left-click feel backwards to me, maybe I'm losing it, but don't you right-click to move? Anyway, pretty neat stuff.

Mideon

Page
Jeff;819685 said:
They are missing, just remove them. The trunk code was a work in progress before Pop got his job. He plans on getting back to it, he has just be really busy lately.

I went through the code and removed all references to the UI namespace..... but when I attempt to build the project I am getting "unspecified errors" and they are trying to load files that don't exist such as Paperdoll.cs, Merchant.cs etc (I am assuming I've missed a lua script that tries to compile UI's or something?) Did I miss something else?

Also thanks for the tip Lokai, I'll give that a try.

and...jobs are the bane of fun :D But I would love to see all of the great work you guys have done so far.

Jeff

Lord
Like i said, the trunk was a work in progress, its just not going to work at its recent revision. As for the controls, Pop wasnt looking to make this identical to the UO client. He was making it in his own vision.

Mideon

Page
Lokai;819688 said:
For those wishing to try this, if you check out Revision 234, it will work. Just Build it in VS2008, then Debug it, start your Server, and log in. Commands work ok. Right-click and left-click feel backwards to me, maybe I'm losing it, but don't you right-click to move? Anyway, pretty neat stuff.

I have checked out the revision you mentioned....and it appeared to build just fine. When I try to run it though I'm getting an error... something in the MapRenderer.....

I'm wondering if this client only works with a certain version of the UO files?

Jeff

Lord
Mideon;819753 said:
I have checked out the revision you mentioned....and it appeared to build just fine. When I try to run it though I'm getting an error... something in the MapRenderer.....

I'm wondering if this client only works with a certain version of the UO files?

Doubtful, but you should post the error.

Mideon

Page
Good point.. haha (I committed the noob sin...terrible)

What I did.... was checkout revision 234 (like Lokai suggested), and then built the solution and ran ULtimaXNA.exe

This is the error I've received...

Code:
[1] FATAL - System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Ultima
XNA.TileEngine.World' threw an exception. ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Val
ue cannot be null.
Parameter name: input
   at System.IO.BinaryReader..ctor(Stream input, Encoding encoding)
   at System.IO.BinaryReader..ctor(Stream input)
   at UltimaXNA.Data.TileMatrixPatch.PatchLand(TileMatrix tileMatrix, String dat
aPath, String indexPath) in C:\Documents and Settings\David\Desktop\Ultima XNA\U
ltimaXNA\UltimaXNA\Data\TileMatrixPatch.cs:line 65
   at UltimaXNA.Data.TileMatrixPatch..ctor(TileMatrix matrix, Int32 index) in C:
\Documents and Settings\David\Desktop\Ultima XNA\UltimaXNA\UltimaXNA\Data\TileMa
trixPatch.cs:line 55
   at UltimaXNA.Data.TileMatrix..ctor(Int32 index, Int32 id) in C:\Documents and
 Settings\David\Desktop\Ultima XNA\UltimaXNA\UltimaXNA\Data\TileMatrix.cs:line 1
   at UltimaXNA.TileEngine.Map..ctor(Int32 index, Int32 gameSize, Int32 gameSize
Up, Int32 gameSizeDown) in C:\Documents and Settings\David\Desktop\Ultima XNA\Ul
timaXNA\UltimaXNA\TileEngine\Map.cs:line 84
   at UltimaXNA.TileEngine.World..cctor() in C:\Documents and Settings\David\Des
ktop\Ultima XNA\UltimaXNA\UltimaXNA\TileEngine\World.cs:line 42
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at UltimaXNA.TileEngine.World.get_Map()
   at UltimaXNA.TileEngine.WorldRenderer.Initialize(Game game) in C:\Documents a
nd Settings\David\Desktop\Ultima XNA\UltimaXNA\UltimaXNA\TileEngine\WorldRendere
r.cs:line 95
   at UltimaXNA.Engine.Initialize() in C:\Documents and Settings\David\Desktop\U
ltima XNA\UltimaXNA\UltimaXNA\Engine.cs:line 62
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
   at UltimaXNA.Engine.Main(String[] args) in C:\Documents and Settings\David\De
sktop\Ultima XNA\UltimaXNA\UltimaXNA\Engine.cs:line 135

I'm not sure if I've done something wrong, or if my UO files are just not in the right place. I have several cloned installs going on atm.....

Mideon

Page
Yup good call.

For anyone who is interested...or is having a similar issue.....

I had to edit the FileManager.cs class where it looks for the registry location of the Ultima Online installation. You can set the path to something more appropriate.

This was around line 34 in FileManager.cs

Poplicola

Sorceror
I updated the UltimaXNA svn this morning. It should build correctly from the latest revision of the trunk; the latest revision is 238.

Mideon, what was the registry path for your install of UO?
Code:
string basePath = @"SOFTWARE\Origin Worlds Online\Ultima Online\";

Jeff, thanks for keeping on top of this thread :)

Mideon

Page
My problem was that I had several installs of UO....and the ultimaxna code was assuming only a single entry in the registries for this.

I just hardcoded it to take the correct path atm....but basically there is a region of the code which takes the [0] entity of the registries and uses that. With my particularly messed up install profile.

Halciet

Sorceror
Late to the party, but that last one was probably my doing. I think the initial version of the client had a hardcoded base path, which failed to find different install structures for various UO versions. I added a segment that looked through the registry to find the correct UO install path, but I probably didn't take into account multiple installs.

Also, apologies for disappearing on you, Pop; Cisco reassigned me to developing an internal tool with some crazy-ass timeline, which pulled me off this project. Glad to hear you got a job though, and that people are keeping the client alive :)

Poplicola

Sorceror
Halciet;823790 said:
Late to the party, but that last one was probably my doing. I think the initial version of the client had a hardcoded base path, which failed to find different install structures for various UO versions. I added a segment that looked through the registry to find the correct UO install path, but I probably didn't take into account multiple installs.

Also, apologies for disappearing on you, Pop; Cisco reassigned me to developing an internal tool with some crazy-ass timeline, which pulled me off this project. Glad to hear you got a job though, and that people are keeping the client alive :)
Hey Halciet! Great to hear from you.

I've been working overtime, as it were, on UltimaXNA, with 25 new revisions since early December. The big new feature is that legacy ui gumps are now working - nearly all the server ones, and a couple of the client ones. I've even written a rudimentary html renderer that can format clickable hyperlinks. :) Work continues apace of other features - but for the moment, my main focus in gumps. I'd like to be able to handle character creation through UltimaXNA within the next week or so; this would be one more step towards UltimaXNA being useful as a replacement client.

HellRazor

Knight
I've been following this project with great interest! It's really come a long way in a short time. Looking forward to this being fully functional!