RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Open source XNA Ultima Online client

conan-hybrid

Sorceror
Hi, I'm software developer and I want to extend the server side features (skills, combat, trade, building, map, quests, game modes, mini games, instances, interfaces, larger distributed servers etc..) of runo and need a xna c# client to support enhanced features. Yours is perfect. I connected to my shard, logged in, and started walking around and then the client crashes.

The exception is happening in

> SpriteBatch3D.Flush(bool doLighting = false) Line 272 C#

Line 260ish: iTexture = keyValuePairs.Current.Key;
Line 272: this.Game.GraphicsDevice.Textures[0] = iTexture;

"System.ObjectDisposedException: Cannot access a disposed object. Object name: 'Texture2D'."

iTexture is a null texture and somewhere something is adding null textures to the keyValuePairs container. I dont know if your overhauling rendering or something, but this is a scary bug to face at the start. I'm going to start debugging and see what code is generating null textures.

Overall everything looks pretty good, there were a bunch of missing tiles but it was still playable for some brief seconds.

Do you have a mirc channel or forums I can hang out at and chat with you guys while I tinker away?

Jeff

Lord
Its not null, its being disposed and then the renderer is trying to use it again. Also, there were some huge changes to the client files in recent patches, i dont think this project supports the new file formats... so chances are this is your problem if you are fully patched.

conan-hybrid

Sorceror
Thank you Jeff for the prompt reply. Yes your absolutely correct, I meant to say textures that have been disposed. I am fully patched, so this must be the problem. At the moment I can either revert patches until I find one that works with the client version or find out where or why the textures are being disposed. Where to begin...

Jeff

Lord
Well, you can look at the RunUO source to find out what changed. But, it could just be a bug as well... The tiles missing and not looking right is most likely due to file format changes, but the texture being disposed is probably just a bug.

Jeff

Lord
No ETA, Pop works on it when he can, and when he wants to... Infact it really hasnt been worked on since Jan 5th.

Tumeski

Sorceror
This client software would open up so much possibilities on Ultima Online styled worlds... The possibilities! Keep up the work, I work 8 hours a day as programmer too so I know if you have work project can't really focus on anything else so take your time guys :)

Im just a lousy PHP+Ajax+SQL Programmer so can't help you there with xna...

conan-hybrid

Sorceror
LAMP stuff isn't lousy! I wish I knew that stuff better, but then again, how many instruments can a musician learn while not losing mastery of the others?

Poplicola

Sorceror
It's not quite playable. You can't count on being able to do anything menu-based, and for that reason skills and spells are not available. That said you can move through the world, and combat works. It's about 90% done, in the sense of the Ninety-ninety rule:
The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time.
- Tom Cargill, Bell Labs

I stopped working on UltimaXNA before the change in data formats that occurred in Stygian Abyss, so you'll need to run it on a computer that has a version of UO from before Stygian Age.

Sythen

Sorceror
jaapie... don't feel bad man. Its inevitable that at some point or another EVERYONE who promises to bring the community (1) a new custom client, (2) an up-to-date file editor/patcher, and/or (3) some remarkable system that will change the face of Ultima Online as we know it will eventually get (a) bored because these projects are usually monotonous and time consuming, (b) burned out from all the self-righteous, impatient, negative people on the forums, (c) lazy because there are other more interesting things to do in life besides stare at a computer screen, or (d) OSI/EA/Mythic decides to throw a monkey wrench into the emulation community by somehow changing TileID's, File Formats, recoding newer clients and then the pattern usually has been for all of the cases mentioned above is to stop working and move on to something else.

Just An Afterthought: RunUO is completely volunteer work and therefore why should anyone put any real effort into finishing what they start; the whole premise of our community is, (OMG CONTROVERSY!), in the greyscale of legality anyway; at least in the United States. If RunUO were successfully running server software like they do for Ultima Online for games like Skyrim or their new MMO coming out Elder Scrolls Online (Bethesda Would Shut Us Down). Likewise Ultima Online is about to see its last few years with this new project coming out!

On a side note this isn't a meant to be insulting to Poplicola. I am merely explaining Sythen's Theory of RunUO Evolution....

(1) interest on an idea is sparked,
(2) motivation is built up through community support, (2a) no one responds to your idea so your interest dies and the idea is lost,
(3) initiative is taken and you work endless hours on your project trying to get as much done in as little time possible, (3a) you get overexcited and release teasers too early, the community shows interest, and your motivation grows,
(4) you work harder to try to please everyone who gave you advice or tried to offer some idea you liked, but theres that one task you just are unable to perform...
(5) so you ask for help on the forums, but you don't receive a reply and if you do its not for several weeks after the fact, (5b) in the mean time you get frustrated and want to take a vacation - you're burned out... :p
(6) people begin asking, "hey what's up with that new project you've been telling everyone about? I thought it was awesome!"... you'll either respond with the sad truth that you moved on and got burned out or you won't respond
(7) one person in the community starts complaining at what a fake you are and how you make promises you can't deliver and basically flame you and others will most definitely join the bandwagon.
(8) you fall into a deep depression because Ultima Online is your life, you come to these forums everyday, this is what you do and you care about the negative feedback you are getting
(9) so you either flame back or you go postal (most awesome game ever), you cry about it, or my friend you seek professional help for the addiction which affects us all.

On a happier note: I'm glad to see Ryan taking a more proactive role in the community to help try to shift attitudes around. :)

jaapie

Sorceror
jaapie... don't feel bad man. Its inevitable that at some point or another EVERYONE who promises to bring the community (1) a new custom client, (2) an up-to-date file editor/patcher, and/or (3) some remarkable system that will change the face of Ultima Online as we know it will eventually get (a) bored because these projects are usually monotonous and time consuming, (b) burned out from all the self-righteous, impatient, negative people on the forums, (c) lazy because there are other more interesting things to do in life besides stare at a computer screen, or (d) OSI/EA/Mythic decides to throw a monkey wrench into the emulation community by somehow changing TileID's, File Formats, recoding newer clients and then the pattern usually has been for all of the cases mentioned above is to stop working and move on to something else.

Just An Afterthought: RunUO is completely volunteer work and therefore why should anyone put any real effort into finishing what they start; the whole premise of our community is, (OMG CONTROVERSY!), in the greyscale of legality anyway; at least in the United States. If RunUO were successfully running server software like they do for Ultima Online for games like Skyrim or their new MMO coming out Elder Scrolls Online (Bethesda Would Shut Us Down). Likewise Ultima Online is about to see its last few years with this new project coming out!

On a side note this isn't a meant to be insulting to Poplicola. I am merely explaining Sythen's Theory of RunUO Evolution....

(1) interest on an idea is sparked,
(2) motivation is built up through community support, (2a) no one responds to your idea so your interest dies and the idea is lost,
(3) initiative is taken and you work endless hours on your project trying to get as much done in as little time possible, (3a) you get overexcited and release teasers too early, the community shows interest, and your motivation grows,
(4) you work harder to try to please everyone who gave you advice or tried to offer some idea you liked, but theres that one task you just are unable to perform...
(5) so you ask for help on the forums, but you don't receive a reply and if you do its not for several weeks after the fact, (5b) in the mean time you get frustrated and want to take a vacation - you're burned out... :p
(6) people begin asking, "hey what's up with that new project you've been telling everyone about? I thought it was awesome!"... you'll either respond with the sad truth that you moved on and got burned out or you won't respond
(7) one person in the community starts complaining at what a fake you are and how you make promises you can't deliver and basically flame you and others will most definitely join the bandwagon.
(8) you fall into a deep depression because Ultima Online is your life, you come to these forums everyday, this is what you do and you care about the negative feedback you are getting
(9) so you either flame back or you go postal (most awesome game ever), you cry about it, or my friend you seek professional help for the addiction which affects us all.

On a happier note: I'm glad to see Ryan taking a more proactive role in the community to help try to shift attitudes around. :)

I dont know what to think of the shroud of the avatar game. Looking at what i've seen from the released video. Imo it wont be nearly as groundbreaking as uo was. I mean, multiplayer games barely existed during those days, then all of a sudden this 5k player MMO comes out.

Also: Sir Garriot left origin long before age of shadows/SE/ML. And thats the era that i personally like :D(especially the peerless and champ spawn system).

But maybe im wrong, and maybe it is to early to judge, we will see.

Sorry for going a bit OT btw ;)