RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

-ping cmd

mantorras

Sorceror
The average ping I get from the -ping cmd is usually higher than the one I get if I try it on a cmd window.
What are the differences between each one? Everyone always says that the razor one iss the less accurate but for me it seems it's the other way around.
Also, probably a stupid question but is it normal for my ping to increase to almost it's double when I start running around in uo?

Zippy

Razor Creator
-ping sends a message through the UO server connection to the server and times the length it takes for the server to respond. Command line ping uses ICMP.

Basically Razor's ping includes the processing time of the UO server and the TCP stack, and command line is just the network itself. RunUO delays some packets while you are moving in order to keep what you see on screen in sync with where you actually are. This is reflected in the ping if you do it while running around or if you go into an area with a lot of players/monsters/network traffic.

So the -ping command is probably more accurate of what you're feeling in game, where as commandline ping just tells you if the network is having problems. In game ping can tell you if the server hardware is slow, or if the server software is lagging.