RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Porting from sphere

L

loupgarou

Porting from sphere

well, its just a small request, not necessarily for the devs alone.

Wonder if anyone will find it in their mind to work on a sphere worldfile to runuo worldfile convertor.

at least just for character's + accounts.

Since we're on a deadline, I'm going to restart my shard back on sphere 55i, but considering the sphere 1.0 is going to come out in some unspecific date, I might want to use RUNUO's engine as soon as its stable.

so just keep it in mind pls. heh.

thanks.

ArconX

Wanderer
Re: Porting from sphere

loupgarou said:
Since we're on a deadline, I'm going to restart my shard back on sphere 55i, but considering the sphere 1.0 is going to come out in some unspecific date

*lol* how many month's (or is it more than i year?) i heared the talk about Sphere v1.0 & still nothing is out :)

L

loupgarou

I predict march 15 2010 that's why I'm considering runuo when its more established while I take the time to finalise systems and such

C

Chaos

BTW, RunUO is already "stable" Its just missing some features...

Illusion

Wanderer
RunUO really amazed me :)
a program that porting from sphere will do us all good :p

anyway, keep the good work up ^^

A

AlejandroX

I'd like a porting program from UOX to RunUO myself but I don't know how feasible it is.

K

Krazy_zack

Basically what Loup wants is the ability to move over the existing database of accounts (Characters and items) from sphere to RunUO.

I would like to see somthing like thia as well because if I'm going to switch to RunUO from my sphere server then I'm going to have to import all of the existing playerbase. (re-inputing over 100 player accounts by hand would sux)

Oh and there is still the movement bug with RunUO so i wouldn't call it "stable" yet... (but I betcha Ryan fixes that by the next release.... LOL)

As far as "Sphere 1.0" ever comming out with Menace being the only person left on the Dev team I can't see it happening any time soon...

F

fatgit

I'd consider moving over too, if only I understood how to script for RunUO :/

Importing world, charachter/account files from sphere/uox and possibly POL, would be a great incentive for people though :)

K

kuchervano

Sphere - easy language, good for non programing guys
POL/UOX - a bit tougher, uses more complex structure
RunUO - damn for me its had, for now

Dont think anyone will make converter just yet, maybe after v5 or something like that...

F

fatgit

aye, it isnt something I would expect to see in beta 3 (beta 4 maybe ;p )

Based on:

Once I analyze the character and item documentation, I can tell you what I might possibly be able to do in the way of porting character files.

Zippy

Razor Creator
I'm gonna warn everyone again about hoping for a World Converter.

I don't think a world converter for RunUO is feasable at all.... RunUO's world save format is very different from that of Sphere, or UOX... Largely in part because RunUO is so object oriented. Each Item has a specific name (example: "Server.Scripts.Items.Armor.PlateChest"), assuming you could get past converting item types (in UOX they are numbers, like 1 is a container) and IDs (In runUO a box maybe different from a pack even though they are both containers) into RunUO namespaces, Each one of the derived classes has it's own set of data in the file. This set of data is entirely scriptable, so it can be difficult to predict. For example, The Plate chest example would exist in the world file as:

"Server.Item.BaseArmor.PlateChest"
Data relating to all Items here (X,Y,Z hue, Id, etc)
Data relating to Armor here (hp, ar, magic, etc)
Data relating to plate chest here

and for a Fancy shirt:
"Server.Item.BaseClothing.BaseShirt.FancyShirt"
Data relating to all Items here (X,Y,Z hue, Id, etc)
Data relating to clothing here
Data relating to shirts here
data relating to Fancy shirts here

Quite unlike other emulators, I have not delt with sphere much, but relating to UOX....

All items in UOX are saved the same way, with the same properties, so every Item in UOX, no matter how different, has basically the same world save layout as any other.

Accounts on the other hand, will be very easy to port.... Since, how complicated can you really make accounts anyway.

For Sphere you ;) just ;) need to write a parser for the data files and then ;) just ;) need to create the appropritate objects in appropriate positions.

Best put that in a double click handler for your "GM Wand of Importing".

Or, to put it differently, it doesn't look like deep magic, it's a - again just - a lot of work - mainly the creation of the table of which object will be which.
I'd wait with this until there are equivalent items in RunUO for most items in Sphere.

ervin

Wanderer
Maybe as someones side project they could work on a way of having the scripting as user friendly as UOX but there is a hard coded converter which takes the commands in the scripts and hard codes them in c#, or something like that, so you dont have to speand hours scripting and anyone can easily customize shard... im sure that would make RunUO even better than it is (for the guys who cant script anyway....)
if you get what i mean, or even i its possible :/

Let's figure out what we need to do:

I still haven't transported .NET Framwork and RunUO beta from school to home, but I have an idea of what I might want to accomplish:
Account File Manager --
--
Now, it would be nice to be able to port from all of the major emus(which I would like to build functionality for if at all possible.)
It may also be convenient to splice. For example, say TAR wants to go one shard on RUNuo instead of two, pol and sphere, as they have it(assuming their accounting system isn't linked at all.) It would be neat to be able to take all accounts from both, and use only one instance of the every account name.
Automatic alphabetization will be a must if splicing is introduced.
Search/View/Edit/Delete account(RUNuo.accountfile)
Abilty to add atrributes to every account, or convert with extra attributes.
--
I'm thinking intermediate databasing...create a project, load and use as needed, but changes will not be in realtime to the actual files(other than the project), instead they will have to be outputed at the end.

Any suggestions on features? Comments?