RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Probobly an Ignorant Question...Why Ubuntu?

hungry4knowhow

Sorceror
This is probobly extremely ignorant of me...but i'm going to ask anyway?

Why do the majority of threads here seem to deal with Ubuntu as the operating system? It seems to me that CentOS is the major player in the Linux Dedicated server market, and in my thinking most of the people here are compiling for linux because they have leased a dedicated server somewhere....

So just wondering...why are most users here using Ubuntu? Is it a compatibility thing with Cent? I'm completely in the dark.

Im shopping dedicated servers, and have an interest in throwing my shard up on the server.

Im hoping to be able to go with Linux due to my familiarity with cPanel/CentOS as well as others' (not just me on the server) but I would really really really like to throw my shard on this server, and if Linux is a no go because of CentOS/RunUO then im kind of up in arms as to howmuch im willing to throw at the server per month.

Soteric

Knight
I think Ubuntu is more popular as desktop OS. Later when people choose OS for server they prefer something familiar for them. I doubt there are any other reasons. All Linux distributives are fine, FreeBSD is fine too, Solaris is also fine. Feel free to go with CentOS :)