RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prostitution - Legal or Illegal?

Prostitution should be...

• Legal

Votes: 62 82.7%
  • Illegal

Votes: 13 17.3%

• Total voters

bzk90

Lord
That is by far the most genius thing I have ever heard. There is no better way to make people see an alternate viewpoint than by forcing them argue in the pro position

Rosetta

Wanderer
PappaSmurf;728206 said:
Somehow that and being a Grammar Nazi do not seem to be really umm compatible together in my mind.

Those big red F's turn one into a grammar nazi when they get older. It is fate.

didymus

Wanderer
I think sexual prositution should be legalized (or, institutionalized).
At least, then, it could be regulated, and guidelines set in place (as with any other profession) to protect employees and customers. It could even be defined as one of the caring professions.

Morality has little, or nothing, to do with it: As a person's sexuality is their own business (as long as it is consentual). After all, no one seems to argue (too much) over the morality of producing, and making profit from, alcohol, tobacco, or any other substance - known to cause harm.

As to the definition of Prostitution, the original word had the sense of placing one's self before another, for hire.

We all "prostitute" ourselves.

bzk90

Lord
didymus;728397 said:
I think sexual prositution should be legalized (or, institutionalized).
At least, then, it could be regulated, and guidelines set in place (as with any other profession) to protect employees and customers. It could even be defined as one of the caring professions.

Morality has little, or nothing, to do with it: As a person's sexuality is their own business (as long as it is consentual). After all, no one seems to argue (too much) over the morality of producing, and making profit from, alcohol, tobacco, or any other substance - known to cause harm.

As to the definition of Prostitution, the original word had the sense of placing one's self before another, for hire.

We all "prostitute" ourselves.

ever hear of sin tax?

PappaSmurf

Knight
TheOutkastDev;728653 said:
I can't believe so many people think prostitution ought to be legal.

Take it as a sign of the changing views on sexuality in the US, call it desensitization due to the media, or call it people seeing the practicality in taking what can be a bad situation and giving it some positive light.

Rosetta

Wanderer
TheOutkastDev;728653 said:
I can't believe so many people think prostitution ought to be legal.

It's going to happen anyway, it's been happening for as long as anyone can remember, and it happens in every country on the planet legal or not. After aids came out public ideas of sexuality changed completely. Might as well legalize it and start making it safer for everyone.

Nar Matteru

Wanderer
Yay lets have the government regulate yet another industry. Make sure theres a confidentiality clause to protect the husbands cheating on their wives too!

I can see both sides of this, but after much deliberation, and Joeku begging me to post here, thats my final answer. No. It would either be over regulated to hell (yay, government tax dollars at work helping people with loose morals get their sex on), or under regulated to where the bad things associated with it will still exist, STDs, pimps etc. Actually they'd always be pretty commonplace regardless of how well regulated it is. Some problems just don't go away. Oh and you'll get that new problem of corruption too.

As it is now, I've actually decided that its better illegal, and better for them to be untested. Knowing you might catch an std is a good deterrent for fucking a hooker. It's also a good reason for a young women in poverty who'd normally be prone to this occupation to try and find harder, but much better lines of work to get out of that poverty.

The whole legalizing something just because its commonplace, is really stupid. Well in this instance.. bah. Weed I can see.. I guess.

Rosetta

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK;728757 said:
I'm not sure that's entirely the reason why...
(In fact, I'm pretty sure it isn't)

It's the reason I would make it legal. I don't speak for everyone =]. Others probably have more of a primal reason for the vote, or just that they are sad and lonely and think that somehow making this legal would end that. It wouldn't.

Nar Matteru;728757 said:
Yay lets have the government regulate yet another industry. Make sure theres a confidentiality clause to protect the husbands cheating on their wives too!

I can see both sides of this, but after much deliberation, and Joeku begging me to post here, thats my final answer. No. It would either be over regulated to hell (yay, government tax dollars at work helping people with loose morals get their sex on), or under regulated to where the bad things associated with it will still exist, STDs, pimps etc. Actually they'd always be pretty commonplace regardless of how well regulated it is. Some problems just don't go away. Oh and you'll get that new problem of corruption too.

As it is now, I've actually decided that its better illegal, and better for them to be untested. Knowing you might catch an std is a good deterrent for fucking a hooker. It's also a good reason for a young women in poverty who'd normally be prone to this occupation to try and find harder, but much better lines of work to get out of that poverty.

The whole legalizing something just because its commonplace, is really stupid. Well in this instance.. bah. Weed I can see.. I guess.

I get your point and you make a good argument for keeping it illegal. But...

A few points:
1- It should be for both sexes
2- It is already regulated in some states - tax dollars.
3- It is legal with regulations in MOST countries around the world. USA is a minority with this. But most people in the USA can always head over to Canada if it means that much to them.

Lol weed, that's a whole other paper.