RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question on how maps are handled

Rhydderch

Wanderer
question on how maps are handled

I have a question....

how does RunUO handle the use of the multiple maps in the game? What would it take to modify the code to support more maps? Where would I begin to look in the code for where the maps are handeled?

that is not handled by runuo, but by the client

you can add more copies of the maps, but can not add more maps

so can add 3 more trammels with different seasons
but can not make them look different

mapdef.cs explains how to add in new facets (copies of existing maps)

you can also exchange a map for a new look, and all copies will look the same
but they also have to be the correct size, and with tram/fel also the water are size also have to be correct
those are also controlled client side

Rhydderch

Wanderer
so >IF< a custom client was being used that had support for say 10 maps, the RunUO server woud have no problem with it? I am not talking about having multiple copies of the same map, but having completely different ones....

Rhydderch

Wanderer
Please explain if you can the questions folowing the code snip below....

Code:
/* Here we configure all maps. Some notes:
	 * 1) The first 32 maps are reserved for core use.
	 * 2) Map 0x7F is reserved for core use.
	 * 3) Map 0xFF is reserved for core use.
	 * 4) Changing or removing any predefined maps may cause server instability.
	 */

RegisterMap( 0, 0, 0, 7168, 4096, 4, "Felucca",		MapRules.FeluccaRules );
	RegisterMap( 1, 1, 1, 7168, 4096, 0, "Trammel",		MapRules.TrammelRules );
	RegisterMap( 2, 2, 2, 2304, 1600, 1, "Ilshenar",	                    MapRules.TrammelRules );
	RegisterMap( 3, 3, 3, 2560, 2048, 1, "Malas",		MapRules.TrammelRules );
	RegisterMap( 4, 4, 4, 1448, 1448, 1, "Tokuno",		MapRules.TrammelRules );

RegisterMap( 0x7F, 0x7F, 0x7F, Map.SectorSize, Map.SectorSize, 1, "Internal", MapRules.Internal );

/* Example of registering a custom map:
	 * RegisterMap( 32, 0, 0, 6144, 4096, 3, "Iceland", MapRules.FeluccaRules );
	 * Defined:
	 * RegisterMap( <index>, <mapID>, <fileIndex>, <width>, <height>, <season>, <name>, <rules> );
	 *  - <index> : An unreserved unique index for this map
	 *  - <mapID> : An identification number used in client communications. For any visible maps, this value must be from 0-3
	 *  - <fileIndex> : A file identification number. For any visible maps, this value must be 0, 2, 3, or 4
	 *  - <width>, <height> : Size of the map (in tiles)
	 *  - <name> : Reference name for the map, used in props gump, get/set commands, region loading, etc
	 *  - <rules> : Rules and restrictions associated with the map. See documentation for details
	*/

1. The first 32 maps are reserved for core use, what maps does this refer to and how are they used?
  2. If a custom client was able to use additional maps, would the server be able to work correctly, does the server not limit the number of maps with the <mapID> and the <fileindex> usage being limited to just those values?
  3. What would the purpose be of a map that was not visible (referring to the above values)?

Thank you for the assistance on this....

i would assume that runuo could use the additional maps, i do not see why not

but it is getting the client to see them and the correct sizes
AND then patching that cleint to your players
both of which are technoly illegal to do

Rhydderch

Wanderer
right, but if you are using a completely different client then this does not apply.... for example Iris2... i have been communicating with the devs there and the client can actually handle upto 255 maps sized 4025x4025... I am exploring this as a means of using the RunUO server as a educational game.