RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick question

Obs

Wanderer
Quick question

What language is the RunUO core written in?

Can RunUO run stablely through Linux?

I Cheat

Wanderer
It's C#. I don't know much about Mono (a C# implementation for Linux) so I'm not sure if it can run on Linux or how stable it would be.

Nochte

Wanderer
It's written in C# on top of .net 1.1. RunUO 2.0 RC1 runs on top of .net 2.0. It takes a lot of work, but the server can run on Linux using mono.

Obs

Wanderer
Also let me ask you something else

There are programs which in theory can convert C# code to C++.

if such a thing was applied to the entire RunUO source code and all the scripts... would it run?

Obs

Wanderer
But that also costs money, we are all on a budget. You think people will be willing to invest a couple bucks for the creation of a new RunUO distribution written entirely in C++?

mordero

Knight
Why would they convert something that works perfectly the way it is into c++? (Which wouild required tons of work because you dont have the framework behind it, meaning you have to code all of that as well)

Obs

Wanderer
mordero;671291 said:
Why would they convert something that works perfectly the way it is into c++? (Which wouild required tons of work because you dont have the framework behind it, meaning you have to code all of that as well)

To compile it on linux without having to use an emulated version of the framework.

But actually in retrospect I think the conversion would be a bad idea anyway. Not because of the work, but because of the fact that RunUO probably still makes use of a lot of windows DLLs and stuff.

screw it

mordero

Knight
No, it just uses the .NET framework. RunUO 1.0 will work on linux using Mono and once mono catches up with the generics, RunUO 2.0 should be able to run on linux as well (of course, you will still need to make some changes, but it will be possible).

Obs

Wanderer
What about all these myths of RunUO2.0 with Mono running slowly?

Does RunUO1.0 with mono give better results? What exactly has changed between 1.0 and 2.0 anyway? New Features or just bug fixes?