RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reloading files without restarting server

Reloading files without restarting server

Posible o imposible?

heh, is it even possible to do this? It doesnt seem like it would be but a friend of mine said he's almost positive it can be done. If it is possible, is it only possible for specific files?

Phantom

Knight
Somebody already posted how to do it also, don't ask me where, I don't agree with core changes.

The only way to do it is to recompile the scripts.

Please understand this process both has many draw backs, and its not supported.

I agree with Phantom. I prefer to use what the RunUO developers code into the core, and I don't mind restarting to add my scripts in.

thats not what i meant..

I dont think i worded that correctly. I meant, is there a way to reload files, while the server is still running. For example: Grizzly bears currently give 32 hides, while my server is up and running, people are playing on it, i open GrizzlyBear.cs and edit the # of hides to give only 16. Is there a way to reload the GrizzlyBear.cs file without shutting down server and starting back up?

Bradley

Sorceror
This can't be done because you are not actually writing "scripts". You are actually editing source code, and compiling assemblies out of them, and dynamicly loading them into the app domain. Once an AppDomain has loaded an assembly it can NOT release it. This is all very low in the design of .NET and there is not way to change it, because it is a limitation of .NET.

Phantom

Knight
Its possible but you would have to alter the core to do this.

But like I already said, it would require a unsupported core change, so if your going you are on your own.

Phantom said:
Its possible but you would have to alter the core to do this.

But like I already said, it would require a unsupported core change, so if your going you are on your own.

Yeah alright thank you. I won't even consider editing the core, as I am not experienced enough to start touching it. :p

But thinking about it, if the players really don't feel like waiting literally 10 seconds while the server saves, shuts down, reloads files, and rebuilds the world, all in the name of enhancing their gameplay, then thats bad.

Plus i realize now, this was a stupid question to even ask so sorry for wasting you guys' time. :(

Raynew43

Sorceror
JavaBeanMachine said:
Plus i realize now, this was a stupid question to even ask so sorry for wasting you guys' time. :(
No question is really a stupid question. How else do you expect to learn if you don't ask questions?

cerme

Wanderer
ask a question and you will feel stupid for a while.... don't ask it... and you will be stupid for the whole your life............