RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunUO 1.0 and .NET 2.0

Arahil

Sorceror
RunUO 1.0 and .NET 2.0

When the .NET framework 2.0 was released there were some postings in the forums saying that there were some performance issues and that it is not recommended to use the new framework. But since RunUO 2.0 only runs on the 2nd version of the framework these flaws have obviously been fixed...

I'm using a highly customized version of RunUO 1.0 on my server, and it is impossible to upgrade to RunUO 2.0. Nevertheless, I want to use some of the enhancements of the .NET framework 2.0, so I would really like to know what those performance issues were and if they are really tricky how to remove/avoid them...

noobie

Wanderer
there shouldnt be any performanse issue about RunUO 1.0 with .NEt 2.0
actually, it is most likely you'll get a better performance with .NEt 2.0

however, i would recommend using RunUO 2.0 since it has a lot better performance than 1.0 with the enchancements done.

it shouldnt take more than a couple days to convert custom scritps.

Arahil

Sorceror
noobie said:
there shouldnt be any performanse issue about RunUO 1.0 with .NEt 2.0
actually, it is most likely you'll get a better performance with .NEt 2.0
i have not tested the .net framework 2.0 yet, i just read that several times in the forums... even from some of the devs, if i remember that correctly

it shouldnt take more than a couple days to convert custom scritps.
custom crafting, custom fighting system, xp&level-system, custom harvesting, all itemscripts & mobile-scripts removed and replaced with a database containing all the necessary information, accounts and playermobiles saved in databased and so on and so on and so on... no way :)

with .NET framework 2.0 you may notice a slight increase in CPU usage, but a decrease in RAM usage, atleast for me. While using programs that use 1.x framework compared to the same program that upgraded to 2.0 framework there is a slight (2-5%) usage for me and a decrease of 1-2% RAM usage. This is on my system that consists of a 2.4 ghz p4 with 2.0 gigs of pc3200 RAM. ymmv.

Phantom

Knight
Total Failure said:
with .NET framework 2.0 you may notice a slight increase in CPU usage, but a decrease in RAM usage, atleast for me. While using programs that use 1.x framework compared to the same program that upgraded to 2.0 framework there is a slight (2-5%) usage for me and a decrease of 1-2% RAM usage. This is on my system that consists of a 2.4 ghz p4 with 2.0 gigs of pc3200 RAM. ymmv.

The reported usage if you have more then one thread possible is not "correct" and it might not even be "correct" with a single thread.

See a recent post by Ryan to understand why this is.

Phantom

Knight
Total Failure said:
Phantom thats why i said your mileage my vary. :)

I thought you were saying something else, so thats why I said it, nevermind if you know what I am talking about :)