RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[RunUO 2.0 RC1] The Bard's Tale (ADVANCED R/C System)

Lokai

Knight
The Bard's Tale (ADVANCED R/C System)

Lokai's "Bards Tale" System

Here is another Race-Class systems I have had for a while, and have been playing around with. Again, I wanted to release this while the 2.0 servers are mostly still in Beta. I just loved the old Bards Tale series, and wanted to see if I could create a system that mirrored some of that concept.

UPDATES:

7/18/2006 - Added templates for Magician, Wizard and Sorcerer Abilities (Spells)

IMPORTANT: This is primarily for ADVANCED scripters. There are similarities between this system and my other Race-Class system, but many of the inner-workings are vastly different.

What is this?

The Bards Tale System is just that, a System.
Specifically, it is a System designed around the old Bards Tale computer games. Like my other System, this one has Races, Classes, new Abilities (like Skills or Spells, depending on the Class), new Stats, Levels, and Experience Points.

The Classes are designed around the Bards Tale adventures, each with defferent Abilities of their own. The Warrior has combat skills, the Bard has songs, the Spell-casters have spells, etc.

The 7 races are also designed around the original Bards Tale, each having restrictions on the Items they can use. The Items are important.

This is also in what is known as EXTREME BETA stage. It compiles, but by itself will do absolutely nothing.

With a few stock-script modifications, you can test out the new player type 'BardsTaleMobile' and see what the system is like.

What is this NOT?

This is not a complete Race-Class system.
The abilities are not fully written. (All of the templates for the Abilities are ready to add code to them.)
Nothing special will 'happen' when players walk around and do things.

So how do I test this out?

OK, you will need to make a few modifications to some stock scripts to make this work.
I decided not to rewrite the PlayerMobile for this. Instead I created a derived class, 'BardsTaleMobile', so thankfully you do not have to modify that.
Instead, you need to tell the game that you want to play with a BardsTaleMobile player instead of a PlayerMobile player.
You do that in CharacterCreation.cs.

Simplest way is to change the 'CreateMobile( Account a )' routine by changing this line:

PHP:
return (a[i] = new PlayerMobile());

to this:

PHP:
return (a[i] = new BardsTaleMobile());

You will also need a 'using' statement at the top of CharacterCreation.cs:

PHP:
using Server.BardsTale;

You should be able to create a character and see what they have using [props on them. Use a BardsTaleStone to trigger character development.

AGAIN, THIS IS IN EXTREME BETA STAGE. I am posting this primarily to allow advanced developers some ideas to play with. I figured there was no sense having these scripts if nobody ever saw them.

Attachments

• BardsTale.zip
    100.4 KB · Views: 225

Lokai

Knight
:eek:

Oh, dear.

I think I just dated myself terribly with this, seeing as the games were only available on Atari XL, Commodore 64, and IBM 286's.

Arek

Sorceror
...Don't forget the Nintendo Entertainment System. :) (even though, if I'm not mistaken, that one got toned down enough to get some heat from fans of the series). Note: I liked what I saw of the NES version of the game, but I have never played any other game in the series, so I really don't know what it's like.

Back on topic...this is something I may look into as a base for something I'd like to do. With that in mind, if I make some (possibly major) modifications to the system, would you object to me releasing the system with my mods (giving you credit, of course)?

--Arek

Lokai

Knight
Arek said:
...Don't forget the Nintendo Entertainment System. :) (even though, if I'm not mistaken, that one got toned down enough to get some heat from fans of the series). Note: I liked what I saw of the NES version of the game, but I have never played any other game in the series, so I really don't know what it's like.

Back on topic...this is something I may look into as a base for something I'd like to do. With that in mind, if I make some (possibly major) modifications to the system, would you object to me releasing the system with my mods (giving you credit, of course)?

--Arek

No problem at all. That is the reason I released these. I would be happy to have someone make use of them. Note, I did not put any headers in the files with my name all over the place or anything...go for it.

Lokai

Knight
First Post Updated.

New attachment now has templates for the following Abilities (Spells):

PHP:
// Magician Spells
VorpalPlating
QuickFix
ScrySite
HolyWater
MageGauntlets
AreaEnchant