RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunUO C++ or C+

tagno25

Wanderer
RunUO C++ or C+

I am wondering what it would take to make RunUO run under C++ or C+ without needing any external files/programs (like the .NET framework)

I would like to keep the coding of the non-core scripts the same.

mordero

Knight
Im pretty sure that wouldnt be possible unless you were able to write something to convert those scripts, but I am 99.9999% sure that its not possible

HellRazor

Knight
You'd have to re-write so much of it (to include writing some type of C# interpreter for C++) that you'd be better off starting from scratch.

If you want to play around with a C++ UO emulator, take a look at UOX3. (Yes, it's still around!) or Wolfpack.

tagno25;656781 said:
I am wondering what it would take to make RunUO run under C++ or C+ without needing any external files/programs (like the .NET framework)

I would like to keep the coding of the non-core scripts the same.
krrios.

But I think he's busy, so you're sol. (Also, he evidently prefers C#, and prob wouldn't do this for free)

ZixThree

Wanderer
Converting C# code to C++ is a daunting task.

First, there is the lack of memory management (ie garbage collector) in C++. At least, nothing native to C++. Perhaps with some specialized library there could be something to be done.

Second, most of the Converting C# code to C++ is a daunting task.

First, there is the lack of memory management (ie garbage collector) in C++. At least, nothing native to C++. Perhaps with some specialized library there could be something to be done.

Second, the .Net framework contains an enormous number of different features which would need to be emulated or re-coded (independently of the .Net framework flavour, ie Mono or Microsoft).

Third, it would be easier to have a concise and useful answer if we knew the context. Because, porting C# code to C++ is not really useful in and out of itself.

Fourth, a lot of construct are C# specific. Some equivalence exist in C++ but not everything. For an example, I haven't seen a reflection utility in C++ except for the part in System.Reflection in .Net. Also, building a virtual machine for the scripts is in some way what the Mono project is about.

RunUO doesn't have unconsidered dependencies. Even if the choice of using .Net was made way back, other options sure were considered and rejected at that time. Also, except for computer with win9x-me, most computer can run RunUO to some extent using Mono or .Net Framework. For computer on windows, newer version of windows are already packaged with .Net...

In conclusion, more details on the why we would want to convert RunUO to C++ might be a good thing. That way, we could perhaps propose alternatives to your problem beside converting which would be less time consuming or just plain better.

ZixThree

ZixThree

Wanderer
I still don't understand why you would want to convert it to Java or any other language there is. I mean, as a programmer, I would prefer wasting my time elsewhere.

I am really curious about the reasons you would like to convert it to another language.

With Mono project on the way, I don't see any reason, but I may be wrong and would really like to be enlighten if need be.

ZixThree

Courageous

Wanderer
Suuuurely, dahling, you're not implying that my favorite language isn't the best one???!?!?

Looks balefully at ban button.

Clicks "ban noobie".

WTF?! Who took away my mod powers??!?

C//