RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunUO console log analyzer

uburz

Sorceror
RunUO console log analyzer

This is a stand-alone application I developed the first week of May 2005. However, due to Visual Studio 2005 beta licence restrictions, I never published it (though I had it tested for a long time) until now.

I had in mind a tool that would help the staff of all those shards which need to periodically check the users login-logout events, perhaps by security reasons or because of policies against multiple accounting. And so came this software.

What does it do?
This is a tool that analyzes RunUO console logs (default RunUO format), gathers statistics, provides very simple and complete output, allows filtering, generates gantt diagrams, and so on.

Why should I need this program to read console logs?
Console logs save many informations, most of which are related to accounts events. RunUO Log Analyzer checks those events (connections, authentications, disconnections, characters management, etcetera...). Into a real console log file, you'll find something like this:
Code:
[May 07 04:29:51.6 PM]: Client: 192.168.0.24: Connected. [606 Online]
[May 07 04:29:51.7 PM]: Login: 192.168.0.24: Account 'username1' at character list
[May 07 04:29:52.8 PM]: Client: 192.168.0.132: Connected. [607 Online]
[May 07 04:29:53.1 PM]: Login: 192.168.0.132: Valid credentials for 'username2'
[May 07 04:29:57.9 PM]: Client: 192.168.0.132: Disconnected. [606 Online] [username2]
[May 07 04:29:58.0 PM]: Client: 192.168.1.73: Connected. [607 Online]
[May 07 04:29:58.0 PM]: Client: 192.168.0.132: Connected. [608 Online]
There's a lot more than this though, but it turns out to be quite frustrating to analyze a log if you are searching, for example, for a multiaccount. The FIND command of DOS is useful, but unpractical. And, last but not least, you have to know exactly what all those strings mean, or you won't understand the log. RunUO Log Analyzer helps you read the logs, even if you don't understand a single word of its raw format.

What do I need?
First, you'll need a way to save console logs, which RunUO doesn't save by default. You may enable them by either running RunUO as a service (parameter -service) or adding a simple script to RunUO to do this work (strongly suggested). I included that script into the application itself, so you'll find it inside the zip file (it's named OutputRedirector.cs).
Second, you'll need .NET Framework 2.0 in order to run this application.

How does it work?
You only need to load one (or more) log files by pressing a button, and the program will do the rest. The user interface has been developed to be simple and user friendly, so the included guide only contains explanations about program options and a little else.

Any known bugs or flaws?
Well, there may be some particular culture/language configurations preventing to load a log file created in a system with different culture/language settings, even if you properly set the culture/language into the options. There's not much to do in this case, and I'll suggest to run RunUO Log Analyzer in the same machine RunUO is running, or in another machine with the same culture/language settings. You may also solve this by saving the dates in a smarter format than default (see FileLogger class) and changing RunUO Log Analyzer's advanced options consequently.
There's something else you should be aware of. Loading a large amount of logs, or huge logs (many megabytes) may require some seconds (or more) to complete.

Any screenshots before I download it?
Yes, here you are:

You can also look at the multimedia demonstration (English - Italian).

Which languages does the program support?
Currently, only English and Italian are supported. If you are interested into making a translation in your own language, please download the Resource files in my site (see link below: "Standard download page"), and PM me for informations on how to edit the language files.

Which events, in particular, does the program recognize?
Connected, disconnected, account at character list, valid credentials, invalid password, invalid username, new character, deleting character, inactivity disconnect, account in use, encryption detected, banned account, access denied, invalid client, gump cap reached, invalid gump response. All the others are flagged as unknown.

How can I resize the main window?
Look at the online help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download links
Home page of RunUO Log Analyzer
Multimedia demonstration (English)
Multimedia demonstration (Italian)
Quick download and install page
Standard download page

If you want to download a zip file containing the program, please choose the last one, not the "quick download" link.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note. I'm no more actively working on RunUO and related projects due to university and time reasons, and I much likely won't implement any new features into the current application, other than fixing critical bugs.

Alis

Wanderer
This is great vb codded as far as i understand good thinking good work + rep for the good work lets see how it works..

Cappino

Squire
I'm interested in this program but the download is no longer available.
Does anyone by chance have it?
Thanks

m309

Squire
The 4th link down in the OP's "Download Links" seems to allow for a downloaded setup file.