RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunUO doesn't process mobiles when a player isn't around?

Gnome

Wanderer
RunUO doesn't process mobiles when a player isn't around?

At least it seems that way since two mobs in opposition groups aren't attacking each other unless i'm w/i a couple screens of them.

WeEzL

Wanderer
It's called "player range sensitivity" and I know a couple of different spawner packages have this feature enabled by default. It can be disabled however. It is to prevent excessive CPU cycles being used by mobiles when there is nobody in those areas... especially if you have heavily spawned areas. I don't know if the distro spawner has this feature or if it is enabled by default (it's been awhile since I played with the distro spawner).

Gnome

Wanderer
WeEzL said:
It's called "player range sensitivity" and I know a couple of different spawner packages have this feature enabled by default. It can be disabled however. It is to prevent excessive CPU cycles being used by mobiles when there is nobody in those areas... especially if you have heavily spawned areas. I don't know if the distro spawner has this feature or if it is enabled by default (it's been awhile since I played with the distro spawner).

I'm not talking about spawners...I'm talking about mobiles.

*nothing* I'm talking about is connected to spawners. I'm talking about saying [add wisp, [add lich in a 4x4 area in the middle of the ocean and then leaving. They both are alive after like an hour with no one around. You stand there...one's dead in under a couple min.

Thistle

Wanderer
Double check your OppositionGroup.cs then the mobiles in question to make sure the opposition part is in them.

Gnome

Wanderer
Thistle said:
Double check your OppositionGroup.cs then the mobiles in question to make sure the opposition part is in them.

They work fine as long as a player is around (i.e. attacking wisp and/or lich attacks the other) however they seem to do nothing if no one is around. I don't see how OppositionGroup.cs would behave differently because a player is not around.

WeEzL

Wanderer
Gnome said:
I'm not talking about spawners...I'm talking about mobiles.

*nothing* I'm talking about is connected to spawners. I'm talking about saying [add wisp, [add lich in a 4x4 area in the middle of the ocean and then leaving. They both are alive after like an hour with no one around. You stand there...one's dead in under a couple min.
Sorry bud, my mistake. Though what you were talking about sounded exactly like the player range sensitivity setting on certain spawners. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Gnome

Wanderer
WeEzL said:
Sorry bud, my mistake. Though what you were talking about sounded exactly like the player range sensitivity setting on certain spawners. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Eh, nothing to apologize for I'm just explaining that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about just in case you had any other ideas.

ArteGordon

Wanderer
it is due to the PlayerRangeSensitive setting for basecreatures.
By default it is set to true which means that creature AI shuts off as soon as players go out of range.
If you set it to false, then AI runs continuously whether or not players are around. This will create a huge cpu load and I dont recommend it.

I would use the following mod that will allow creatures to continue to have active AI even when people are not nearby for limited periods of time but without the cpu overhead of continuous AI.
http://runuo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73639

WeEzL

Wanderer
Heh, so I had it half right after all... :D

EDIT: By the way Arte... the link you posted just took me to a screen that said I don't have permission to view threads in that forum... I added "www." in front of the runuo.com to fix it. If anyone reading this has the same trouble, here's the fixed link:
http://www.runuo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73639

Gnome

Wanderer
WeEzL said:
Heh, so I had it half right after all... :D

EDIT: By the way Arte... the link you posted just took me to a screen that said I don't have permission to view threads in that forum... I added "www." in front of the runuo.com to fix it. If anyone reading this has the same trouble, here's the fixed link:
http://www.runuo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73639

I think that's cookie/forum related...I can't view the www link but I can view the one w/o www. =)

@Arte
Thanks for the help. =) I'm playing with NPCs that eat each other, reproduce, die of old age, etc. So I'd like the AI to run as much as I can afford.

Gnome

Wanderer
ArteGordon said:
Also, if you wanted the AI of specific creatures to run continuously you could either override the PlayerRangeSensitive setting in their individual scripts or if you have xmlspawner2 installed you could try this mod that allows you to turn it on and off in individual spawns
http://xmlspawner.15.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=387

Yep...I just added a class to handle all my mob mods so I added the PRS=false to that. Thanks.

Jeff

Lord
Gnome said:
I will. But you may want to consider I've got a reason for wanting to do something even if it seems inefficient to a random person.
I'm sure you do, just be careful :)

Gnome

Wanderer
Jeff said:
I'm sure you do, just be careful :)

Nothing to be careful about...it uses a helluva alot more CPU usage. But I'm mainly doing my server as a thought experiment with predator/prey relationships, npc reproduction, 'civilized' npcs mining resources and consuming them to produce goods / arm their defenders (guards), etc. So CPU usage isn't really an issue for me. =0

From what I have read, the game was originally designed to have the whole environment run full time. This gave the possibility of a rabbit becoming super tough and easily killing people for example, due to killing things it found "in the wild" and the built in ability to gain strength/skills

This thread is from 2006 and I am now in the "future" in 2014 where I am sure CPUs are (no, I *know* they are) far more powerful than those around when the game was designed.

Thank you for this information. I look forward to seeing what happens when a modern computer unshackles the game as originally (no pin intended) err.. intended.

If nothing else I am sure that people will appreciate not having their recall points blocked by an NPC or monster which currently will never move until someone else comes into their range.