RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunUO Source

kolie2000

Wanderer
RunUO Source

I see that the current .exe I run is Build 36918, but the source I have is for Build
25645. That seems like quite a big difference. I want to work on some core code, but I dont want an outdated modified core to replace my existing vanilla core. Is their an updated source? What changes have happened since build 25645 and 36918?

gandalf

Sorceror
That one is the only source code ever made public by RunUO. So unfortunately, the only way you can modify the core is to use that one.

The only other possibility is to wait until RunUO 2.0 is released, which should be soon, but I have no idea whether they will release any source code for that either.

Serp

Sorceror
The build number only depends on when you compiled the program. It has no real meaning except for people to verify wether it's a modified version of the core or not.

daat99

Staff member
kolie2000, keep in mind while you are totaly allowed to change the core in any way that you want, modified core isn't supported here on RunUO forums.
So if you will require help with modifying it or if you'll experience wiered problems with scripts that you'll create you won't be able to get a lot of help here.
The core is open source to allow everybody to modify it but it isn't recommended.
I suggest (just a suggestion, nothing more) that you won't use modified core if you don't think that you have the apropriate c# knowledge to do what you want on your own (or atleast without help from RunUO forum).

Courageous

Wanderer
I suggest (just a suggestion, nothing more) that you won't use modified core if you don't think that you have the apropriate c# knowledge to do what you want on your own

This advice is very well put. I'd say that there probably are a few of us who would help out someone with a modified core, but our patience for doing so would be pretty thin if the persons we were advising weren't really able to get around C# and the .NET SDK. IOW, don't do this unless you're really able to hold your own.

C//

kolie2000

Wanderer
I am very confident im my skills as a C# programmer, and am likewise very comfortable with the RunUO core. I have done similiar projects in C#, including a complete emulator for WoW entirely by myself. I have been implementing various scripts and core modifications in my own test environment, and have decided only very recently on opening a serious shard. I wont need any script support really, I use all of my own custom scripts on a very specialized niche shard, which I support myself. Thank you for voicing your concerns though, I will keep it in consideration should I ever need help.

What are the differences in the released source, and the binary available for download?

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
kolie2000 said:
I am very confident im my skills as a C# programmer, and am likewise very comfortable with the RunUO core. I have done similiar projects in C#, including a complete emulator for WoW entirely by myself. I have been implementing various scripts and core modifications in my own test environment, and have decided only very recently on opening a serious shard. I wont need any script support really, I use all of my own custom scripts on a very specialized niche shard, which I support myself. Thank you for voicing your concerns though, I will keep it in consideration should I ever need help.

What are the differences in the released source, and the binary available for download?

None

The only difference is the Build number, which is based on the fact whom ever built it and posted it, had done a Build within Visual Studio after he had posted the source.

daat99

Staff member
kolie2000 said:

As long as you feel confident in your abilities it's all good ;)

Here's a little tip tho:
If you ever decide that you need support in 1 of your custom scripts in the future you should try to run it using unmodified core before you post it.
This way we'll know the problem isn't in the core and we'll be a lot more willing to help you.

Ravatar

Knight
kolie2000 said:

Did you end up releasing Nox? I ended up making a few logging/diagnostic tools for WoW and I remember you from IRC awhile back.

brodock

Sorceror
Sorry to be a little of topic... but where is the "Source Code" download link that was on Downloads ?

(This is not a request as i have it on my computer... but people may don't have it and may be looking for).

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
brodock said:
Sorry to be a little of topic... but where is the "Source Code" download link that was on Downloads ?

(This is not a request as i have it on my computer... but people may don't have it and may be looking for).

Check my signature...

jorisan

Wanderer
What is the difference between RunUO and RunUO Source

OK, Yes, your dealing with a true blonde. I enjoy playing the game and want to keep it up to date on all the current softwear, but I have no idea what the difference is. And, or how to use the latter of the two. Can some really nice person, give me some simple answers, with out being rude.:eek:

slithers

Sorceror
in laymens terms difference is

jorisan said:
OK, Yes, your dealing with a true blonde. I enjoy playing the game and want to keep it up to date on all the current softwear, but I have no idea what the difference is. And, or how to use the latter of the two. Can some really nice person, give me some simple answers, with out being rude.:eek:

The regular RunUO download is the latest release that should be used unless you are an advanced scripter and have a real need to change "the source". The source is the scripts that are compiled into the little blue runuo.exe within the regular download. It contains all the base scripts and networking code. For regular day to day use the source is not needed and you really shouldnt bother with it.