RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Runuo Ultimate Little Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomad707

Knight
Runuo Ultimate Little Guide

Critical update.. see bottom of post.

i made this little guide.. its just to make easier for noobs, or to print it for use offline.. i was bored and had a soda so i thought why not. PM me if you want to add to it, and ill edit my post and slice in your addition, along with your credit.

This guide was written for the runuo community by Poopthrower. Runuo has put forth such an extreme effort i thought i would try and give back to the runuo community.
Email [email protected]
AIM deadpirat3 Use these two forms of contact to add to this guide only, NOT for support. Post here for support needed, or questions.

This guide was created for all of you to review, and look upon, maybee print when no internet access is available, for a reference. This guide was created to the extent of my knowledge, and no further. It will help you get your shard started, get a playerbase, and run an overall successful shard.

This guide is split up into categories, and subcatecories. Categories are named after what they are describing, and subcatecories are named after what they are describing-in greater detail. Muahahaha, its simple, i promise.

The basics.
Did you download runuo yet?! Go do it! and make sure to download Runuo 2.0 The latest release. Why? Because this new release completely dusts 1.0, and alot of new cooler scripts are out for 2.0, And 2.0 is alot more effecient. After downloading Runuo, and BEFORE installing, Verify that you have Microsoft .net framework 2.0 Otherwise the install and runuo will NOT work. Now that you have the framework, Go ahead and install Runuo. Once installed, Go to your "Runuo" folder, and start runuo 2.0. A black box or "console" will appear, leave it open, this is the server. Soon it will ask to create an administrative account, do so, And make your username and password something that is not obvious.

-Connectivity
THIS is where all the new comers stumble, and lose hope, but trust me, its simple. First off, are you Behind a router? Ok..if you are, you are going to have to forward ports 2500-2600 (or just 2593) On your router. Many router websites have instructions to do so, but, if you have a linksys, then it is quite simple. Just go to your linksys box (type 192.168.1.1 in IE browser) type in admin/admin or administrator/administrator Go to advanced/forwarding, OR (for newer wireless users) Go to applications/gaming, then forwarding. Inserting the port numbers is very self explanitory. After this is done, Go to http://www.runuo.com/forums/new-join-forum/www.whatismyip.com WRITE IT DOWN. Now, Take that ip address, and open up your Runuo folder, and find your way to the serverlist.cs file (runuo/scripts/misc/serverlist.cs) Scroll down and you will see
public const string Address = null we are going to want to change this to public const string Address = "Your ip here"; Save the file, close, and restart the server, It should now be accessible by the internet! (use uogateway.com or connectuo.com to advertise your server, so players will connect)

Imagination.
Imagination is your limit when it comes Ultima online, and runuo. Runuo is by far the most flexible Emulator. Use your imagination to create your server, Make a unique theme. You have TONS of space to call your own, make custom buildings, monsters, doungens, towns, hell, even maps! But, well get into Custom map creation, a little later on. Now, keep in Mind, if you want a sucessful shard, you have to create it for what the Players want, not what you want. i'm NOT saying that you cant do it any other way, im just saying, keep the players in mind. Once your shard is up for a while, you will get a few players on (depending if your on uogateway or to be released connectuo) Players will come and go, and sooner or later you will get the frequent players, These are the ones that give golden advice. (usually) Again, ask them for advice on your work, on your thoughts, things you have imagined, and scripted.
Another good idea is to build a web based community for your shard, Like a forum, or portal. This will enable you to post news bullitens, reminders, rules, events, ETC. It will also be a nice place for staff applications, Or to build up your network of players. But, stay creative, make your website look unique, Use your Imagination. If your website looks slopped together in 5 minutes, That leaves a horrible impression for players.. maybee even drive potential players away.

Creation And Decoration.
Creating the shard.. hmm. how do i want to decorate it, how do i want to theme it?! THIS is a very difficult part about a shard.. is choosing a good theme, and decoration style, Well at least it was difficult for me =P. Decoration is very important in a shard, especially where the players start. Decoration can be Very inviting and warming, causing players to stay, and explore your vast decorations, maybee even comment them. Keeping a team of 3-4 decorators is recommended. I always have my team of 4.. thatway theres almost always at least one of them online at all times.

Commands
You arent going to have any good shard without knowing commands! the commands you will use most, i garuntee is [admin [add [props and the infamous [ban There are a ton of commands, I have included The important commands you will need below, You will learn more as time goes on.

[admin --Opens the main administration system of the shard
[Add -- Adds an item, example [add itemname or simply [add to choose from a menu.
[Who -- Command to see who is online
[S -- Staff talk. Example [s hey guys
[Ban -- Bans the targeted Player For an amount of time chosen by you.
[Save -- Manually initiate world save
[Bank -- Open the targets bank box.
[Dupe -- Dupe an item
[Delete -- Remove an item
[Remove -- Remove an item
[Dismount -- Dismounts Target
[Flip -- Flip an items image.
[Kick -- kicks the player off the server
[Shavebeard -- Speaks for itself
[Shavehair -- Speaks for itself
[Squelch -- Stop annoying players from talking
[Wipe -- Wipe items in a box specified by cursor

Thats all for now.. there is alot more but im sure you will find them out.. Make sure to keep these handy.. but im sure you will remember them soon because staff members use Alot of commands!

Customization
Now its time to Bring your shard to life, and make it unique! If we make it an "osi clone" its just the same as every other shard on uogateway, so try to be a little different. Try adding custom monsters, weapons, armor, Quests. Try to run alot of events, Players LOVE events, they provide interactive fun, and maybee a prize for the winner at the end. If you cannot script, you can download the script creator.. although i do not suggest it, i suggest to LEARN to script first. http://www.runuo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56350 Lots of custom items is a good thing, it makes the game fresh, and seem new to players and you. Another cool idea, is look through the runuo.com forums, and see if you can find a good o/l/w (ore, leather, wood) Script. These add alot of fun, new ingots, woods, and leathers. Daat99's system adds a TON of new content to the game, so you should review that script too. Now, How to edit some of the most comonly edited files.

-Editing Skill gain speeds:
Editing skill gain is quite simple, Just head over to runuofolder\scripts\misc\Skillcheck.cs
Now, As you can see there is some anti-macro code. If you disable these, They will make skillgain Much easier. However note, this will not increase actual skill gain speed, but will turn off the code that prevents you from getting only 3 gains in one tile. Turn off whichever anti macro codes you wish, I turn them all off. Now, want to edit the actual skill gain speed? Okay, easy enough. Now. Go to Line 127. Line 127 should be this "gc /= 2;" 2 is the skillgain number. 10 would be REALLY slow gain, while .25 would be fast gain. I suggest starting off at .50 and working your way around, use different skills, and see which speed is right for you. NOTICE. you must also edit the "gc /= 2;" Below line 127, there are two, edit them both to the same thing. There you go! you edited skill gain speed =P.

-Editing Starting Items:
This brings in some customization, and a sense of 'newness' or change, to the new player. Go ahead and open
runuofolder\scripts\misc\charactercreation.cs This file is THE file to edit for creating characters (obviously). Now, back to the point, open this file, scroll down half a page... see anything familiar..yup its the crappy normal starting items, a book? man come on! how rediculous. Lets start your player with an ethereal mount! see the line "PackItem( new Candle() );" ?? This line shows you, its very, very easy too add more items to the players backpack on upon their creatuon. now. For a new ethereal, we would do something like PackItem( new EtherealLlama() ); I'm sure you can see where to put it.. try it out.. YOU have to learn some stuff too you know =P I will give you an empty template for giving a player an item at startup, Along with color coded brackets to tell you what goes where PackItem( new item() ); Now, See the brackets highlighted in red? Those are for stating how many of the item you wish to give the player, If its a nonstackable item, you bypass that, and leave the brackets empty (do not put a 0, leave it empty). Now, say if you have some bandages, you would do something like this new bandage( 10 ) ); And that would create 10 bandages in the players backpack (obviously that wasnt the whole line of code, just an example. And just a warning, NEVER forget your parentheses ( ) Brackets [ ] or semicolons ; If you do, it'll suck, trust me, lol.

UPDATE SEPT 5 2008
Alot of you have been asking "how do i script?" Well to be honost.. no one can tell you how to script.. you have to learn for yourself and go from there. I learned to script the same way all the noobs here do. everyone told me to go edit a script.. small parts.. and get it to work. My advice is the same.. Go edit a non vital script (like a weapon) a few times, without copy pasting. The mind can learn much easier when you do it yourself. scripting is like learning another language, or relearning math. Its quite simple and becomes systematic when you get it down. So before you ask how to script... just try. Download a simple weapon script from here on the forums, edit it up a bit.. look at effects of other weapons and try to do multiple effects or change the color or hit chances... whatever... thats all it starts with. The only thing holding you back, is you.

UPDATE OCT 8 2008
Activating Test Center
Activating test center features is quite simple and can be used to "test" skills, items, ETC. A test center is great for those wish to play without the grueling task of creating a character.
First i will direct you to \runuo\Scripts\Misc\Test Center\TestCenter.cs This is the file where you can do some pretty cool editing.
Open up the file and take a look..
A couple lines down you will see this line:
private const bool m_Enabled = false; This line is obviously indicating that test center is disabled. to enable simply input true where false is.. Like this.
private const bool m_Enabled = true;
Simple, i know. Now that test center is activated we can take a look at some other files that gives the character all the crazy items.

CharacterCreation.cs
\runuo\Scripts\Misc\CharacterCreation.cs
This file contains the items given to a character on startup. This script also calls upon testcenter.cs to see if test center is enabled, if it is, all the items you see almost immediately will be given to a character.
To edit items given to a character is quite simple, and i invite you to try.

UPDATE OCT 22 2008

I will be posting a complete guide that covers almost every file in the runuo directory. I have been working very hard on it.. and im going to try to get the dev. team to review it and include it with the Distro. files. I am working hard.. so it will be thorough.. you guys will probably see it in this thread by december.. (note, there is ALOT to cover...)

Thanks guys..
-R

Update NOV 27th 2010
DEFEATED cancer and tumors! alive and well!
-R

Attachments

• Ultimate Little Runuo Guide.doc
    9.8 KB · Views: 2,758

Killamus

Knight
I'd like to add a couple more commands if I may.

These are more advanced then a normal user may need, but if your typing is fast enough and you know exactly what you want to do, you can save yourself some time (And carpel tunnel...)

Syntax (How a command is to be formed):
<Int>: A number or an enum (Enum = list; like the list of AI's)
<Prop>: Any property an item may have (IE hue)
<Command>: The command
<AreaCommand>: An area command, explained later.
<Exp>: Expression: =, ==, >, >=, <, <=, etc
Where: Used to eliminate certan props. I'll explain this later.
Set: Sets a property.
BaseType: Type of item. For example, a Floppy Hat would be considered to be a BaseHat, FloppyHat, or BaseClothing, or Item.

Commands. All the following commands follow this syntax:
[<AreaCommand> <Command> <Prop> <Int or Enum> Where <BaseType> <Prop> <Exp> <Int> && <Prop> <Exp> <Int>

In example:
[area set hue 1175 where item hue == 1175 && x > 2000 && x < 2500 && itemid == 1175

This will hue all items 1175 (Charcoal) between the X value of 2000 and 2500. (X/Y/Z values are mostly used with the [global command, but if you don't feel like exactly clicking... Up to you.) It also only hues items that are of the set itemid, 1175 (Marble Floors (Irony, no?)).

You can also do the Set, M, Global, Online, and inc commands.

M allows you to use a command without having to retype it. Such as, [m set itemid 1175 will allow you to click any item as many times as you want, without the targeting cursor going away. Most common use is [m tele.

Set.. Sets a property. For example:

[set hue 1175 itemid 1175
would set the hue of the clicked item to 1175 as well as its itemid.

[global set hue 1175 where static map == Trammel && name == "Floor Boards"
would set every static's hue 1175 if it had the name of "Floor Boards".

A NICE use of this would be [global set map <Yourmap> location <Yourlocation> where playermobile name == <Player'sName>
If you don't know their acc. name or IP.

Same usage with Online as with Global.

Next, the Inc command. Has the same syntax as [set, but MUCH nicer. For instance, [inc y 1 x 5 z 1 would move the target UP one, south one, and right five squares. Many uses, limited only by your enginuity.

As a side note, both Inc and Set can be used with any of the other commands listed here (Area, Global, etc). If I missed anything, please post it:D

Admin Drizzt

Wanderer
Not sure if this will help. But under connectivity, another way to get your ip is thru your start menu. Press the start button,click on run, type in cmd, then in the window that pops up type ipconfig
it will give you your ip address. And if you arent connected to the internet you can always run your shard with the ip of 127.0.0.1 for LAN connectivity. If you run on dial up, which i strongly dont recommend, and have a chaging ip. Get an acct. on www.no-ip.com it will help you out a lot.
Hope i helped a little...

Sorceror
I would like to add some advanced in-game commands too

[global get account where mobile name contains "<name or portion of name here>"

[global addtopack <item name> where playermobile

[global get location where item name contains "<name or portion of name here>"

you can use exact words in stead of <xxx> (not include quotes "" if they exist)

Whitebear

Wanderer
C# scripting tutorial links

I'm still no expert myself, but I have been learning to script for a while now and found a free tutorial on scripting in C#.; It presumes only minimal knowledge of programming, and explains everything pretty clearly. I thought perhaps this might be of use to you and others just getting into scripting. Here's the url: C# Tutorial - Index Page, I hope that helps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.