RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunWOW - for Worlds of Warcraft

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
RunWOW - for Worlds of Warcraft

As you may or may not have heard, the RunUO Team (some of its members) had embarked on applying a WOW game layer to our server software. Due to the problems that many "emulators" have seen from Blizzard software, we have decided to drop the project in its entirety.

Many of you have probably been following the various projects out there in regards to Worlds of Warcraft, I myself am no exception. I find it intriguing to reverse engineer games that I like and see how they work. If not just for the learning experience for the fun of playing a game how I want to play it with my friends, forget the whole idea of not paying the money to subscribe.

I find it sad that Blizzard Entertainment has taken it upon themselves to shutdown projects such as BNetd, GotWOW and the others out there that have taken the time to build their own software without stealing anything from them. It is a sad state when things like this become challenged in a legal sense. I must say that something I have always liked about Ulima Online is that they have never challenged the legality of Emulators and Software packages such as RunUO. EA Games knows that their game is by far the best game out there, sure they are changing it to semi-adapt to the times and keep a story line going but look at us... we will keep going well into a decade of Ultima Online... and like many of you I still get those goose bumps from watching the intro from time to time.

I admire EA Games for allowing teams such as the RunUO Team to experiment, and learn how things like this work, these kinds of endeavors spawn creativity; stifling creativity by doing things such as what Blizzard has done and is doing makes the online gaming world less and less appealing.

As some of you may or may not know, the RunUO Team sent in an application nearly a year ago to get RunUO "UO Approved" despite the fact that the "UO Approved" program is closed. We never received a response. I really don’t know how to take that... they didn't say yes, but the surely didn’t say no... :)

We will see what happens in the future, but I for one will not be paying Blizzard Entertainment a dime for anything they develop in the future, and I encourage you to not buy their games either. I am not one for software piracy, but seeing people play pirated versions of Blizzard's games does not bother me in the least.

Please, support OSI, buy their next version of UO, give it a shot and see how it goes, god knows I hate AoS but I buy and still have to this day every release of their software, and will continue to do so as long as they release it. I have 7 active accounts with EA, that have all been active since August of 97, one of which is a beta account that pre-dates the opening days.