RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

saving/sending msg via the console

Exer

Sorceror
saving/sending msg via the console

Would it be possible in the first place to make it so we can write in the console? Because it would be quite handy for us, admins running RunUO on a dedicated server if we could either send message to everyone online or either save directly from the server case without logging in-game everytime. We can't really be in front of our computer with UO installed to do these things, and it doesn't mean we have the staff to perform these actions at the right time.

Just wondering if it'd be possible in the first place or if it will mix up things way too much.. but if its possible.. *wink wink* lol

Kamron

Knight
Thats the purpose of the RemoteAdmin. However I do not know the status of how well its working etc. Maybe somebody else has a more practical solution, or a working version of a remote admin to use.

xir

Wanderer
It is quite possible to whip up a console application that acts as a mini-uo-text-client and issue commands from there. You will need an Admin account though if you wish to perform the more useful functions. This way you can login from anywhere you have your text-client - you don't need your uo files and you don't need to muck with the server code. It's a win win situation! :cool:

Khaz

Knight
Philantrop made a console package with this exact stuff (and more, incl add/ban account). I still have the scripts, but it'd be better if I/you got permission first. I'm not real accustomed to giving out no-longer-submitted work.

FLuXx()

Sorceror
Khaz said:
Philantrop made a console package with this exact stuff (and more, incl add/ban account). I still have the scripts, but it'd be better if I/you got permission first. I'm not real accustomed to giving out no-longer-submitted work.

Was this work released under some kind of special license saying that it was not a public release?

Khaz

Knight
I don't remember. Actually, if you search submissions for it...
it's this one here.

I'm pretty confident it needs some re-editing for RunUO 1.0.0, but the one I had was working fine with some fixes.

Khaz

Knight
That's because not everyone submits everything they do, Sp1der.

Philantrop's work there provides a foundation where anyone interested can continue the code, fix the bugs, and prevent exploitations.

Exer

Sorceror
Hmm is the remote control fully working or is more support going to be added with upcoming RunUO versions? Because I think I have read that somewhere in the past.

However, how would you connect via the remote admin panel? Via telnet?

Phantom

Knight
Exer said:
Hmm is the remote control fully working or is more support going to be added with upcoming RunUO versions? Because I think I have read that somewhere in the past.

However, how would you connect via the remote admin panel? Via telnet?

you could connect via a telnet connection, that would require a class that watched for a connection of that type.

the application connected on its own, but you would be a fool to use it, because its not supported.

Exer

Sorceror
Hmm so I was right about that unsupported thing. Aight, I'll try to figure out a way to do that someday when I will really need it. =)

Phantom

Knight
Exer said:
Hmm so I was right about that unsupported thing. Aight, I'll try to figure out a way to do that someday when I will really need it. =)

Why don't you use something thats actually useful like Remote Administrator, something that won't give your server more security holes....

( telnet is horrible... )

Exer

Sorceror
Well I though you were talking about the RemoteAdmin script when you said its not fully supported yet or that is it vulnerable, thus why I have asked how to connect via the remote administrator pannel.

Phantom

Knight
Exer said:
Well I though you were talking about the RemoteAdmin script when you said its not fully supported yet or that is it vulnerable, thus why I have asked how to connect via the remote administrator pannel.

Like I said, the program itself connects...

Exer

Sorceror
Are you talking about the built-in remote administrator program that comes with win 2k/xp/2k3? Because that would not solve my problem considering I cannot write anything on the console and still have to log in-game to save or send messages to everyone online.

As for the built-in program, we're already using that for other uses =P

Phantom

Knight
Exer said:
Are you talking about the built-in remote administrator program that comes with win 2k/xp/2k3? Because that would not solve my problem considering I cannot write anything on the console and still have to log in-game to save or send messages to everyone online.

As for the built-in program, we're already using that for other uses =P

I am talking about the same program you are...