RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Server Hosting on Hostmonster

Zach Willette

Wanderer
We are trying to host a server on my web server through Hostmonster. The issue we are running into is that we aren't given the permissions to install Mono in Redhat (the version of linux it runs). I was wondering if anyone has figured any work-arounds or attempted this themselves.

Zach Willette

Wanderer
We've hosted other games on these servers before (minecraft for example which requires substantially more resources than RunUO). We know it is possible and the bandwidth/server specs are more than sufficient to host 50-100 players. The key thing is actually I'm looking for someone that knows what they are talking about.

sigh. resources and bandwidth dont have shit to do with it. If it is a WEB server, which you clearly said it was, then it cannot host other services.

Zach Willette

Wanderer
I also clearly stated that we can host other services on it and do at the moment. Again, wondering if anyone else has done this and knows a work-around.

EDIT: The biggest issue as stated above is that RunUO is written in C# which Linux cannot compile without the use of a compiler such as Mono and we aren't able to get mono installed on the server.

Nope. RunUO can NOT be run from a WEB server. Java based games are a different story, so comparing them is useless.

You need access to a full machine, either real or virtual (VPS) Not a folder on a shared server with one OS, only web ports open, and no privileges to change things.

Zach Willette

Wanderer
Tell me why RunUO couldn't be run from a web-server we have everything in place for it to EXCEPT mono and we have explored other player-run clients that would work but like RunUO better (SunUO for example which is the linux compatible knock-off of RunUO 1.0.0) These can run on there and with the correct permissions for us to install Mono and run it; we could host RunUO as well. The concept is solid and we KNOW it is possible even if nobody has attempted it before. Again, as I said I was trying to see if anyone has attempted it before. We are currently using a VMbox with Redhat trying to hammer out how to hammer out compatabilities with mono before we implement it on our server.

EDIT: Progress is slow on the Redhat VM-Box which is why I came here for support hoping someone else has already done this.

BTW: We do have SSH connections to a console, dedicated IP's and the ability to open and close ports to our choosing.

SunUO wouldnt work either. Its very simple. A WEB server is intended for WEB applications. Java what minecraft uses, is commonly used for WEB applications, so many WEB servers have it. Same with php and other server side things commonly associated with web applications. Minecraft uses these. RunUO does not. You cannot install mono (or any system wide software for that matter) on a shared web server, because it will affect all other users on it. It is NOT possible. You need either a VPS or a dedicated. You can also run from home/business.

Zach Willette

Wanderer
We can install software locally, we did it to run Minecraft, find a webserver with Java 1.6 and you are a lucky man, most web-servers don't support Java ON the server itself and for us to run it we had to install Java 1.6 locally on our server which we did do. The issue with mono is we aren't a super-user and this is what's preventing us from installing it on our server.

You aren't a super user, because youre on a SHARED web server. If you could install system wide software, you could fuck up other peoples stuff. Java is on and included already with very many cheap hosting plans, Servers that support Java can also be servlet capable, allowing individual users to install separate, independent, and segregated instances (in their FOLDERS, you do not have an entire server to yourself)

Zach Willette

Wanderer
We were successful in installing mono on our server and are now working out the compatibilities of RunUO shouldn't be long and we'll know if this is a plausible server solution.

It's sad how people just can't let go of a term even though they're given all the info to know better.

What you're calling a web server is actually more than that so the term is not correct. But on the other hand you clearly stated that you've got SSH access and that you can run your own applications. I truly feel vicarious embarrassment for shrundowr's behavior. Nice to see you managed to install mono :) Good luck.

Zach Willette

Wanderer
Thanks lol it should be interesting to see the stability of the server and the number of players we can connect to it. There are a few things that have to be done still but it's looking good still within the next couple days.

Jeff

Lord
I have to agree with shrundowr, chances are you will be kicked from your host because of the extraneous memory/cpu/disk usage RunUO will consume.

Jeff

Lord
To append to my previous statement, i now know you will be kicked, as you are violating the service agreement you have signed...
You can read it here http://www.hostmonster.com/cgi/info/terms.html

to sum things up though,
What "Unlimited" DOES NOT mean. Hostmonster.com employs complex mechanisms to protect its Subscribers and systems from abuse. Hostmonster.com's offering of "unlimited" services is not intended to allow the actions of a single or few Subscribers to unfairly or adversely impact the experience of other Subscribers.
Hostmonster.com's service is a shared hosting service, which means that multiple Subscriber web sites are hosted from the same server and share server resources. Hostmonster.com's service is designed to meet the typical needs of small business and home business website Subscribers in the United States. It is NOT intended to support the sustained demand of large enterprises, internationally based businesses, or non-typical applications better suited to a dedicated server.

The key phrase... or non-typical applications better suited to a dedicated server.
This is a very important note... RunUO is intended to be run on a dedicated server, it is not a web application, and thus, chances are you will violate the terms of service.

The other obstacle you will run in to is port issues, chances are they are only unblocking 80, 8080, 21, etc... normal FTP, HTTP ports, not 2593...

I get that dedicated hosting is expensive, and this is an attempt to alleviate some of the payment, but to me, the cost is valid. You will lose your host, there is no doubt in my mind about it.

It's sad how people just can't let go of a term even though they're given all the info to know better.

What you're calling a web server is actually more than that so the term is not correct. But on the other hand you clearly stated that you've got SSH access and that you can run your own applications. I truly feel vicarious embarrassment for shrundowr's behavior. Nice to see you managed to install mono :) Good luck.
Excellent, you criticize me for being
a naysayer, yet you did the exact same thing in
this thread : http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/runuo-2-1-xmlspawner.472301/#post-3681885 and got proven wrong

SSH and open ports does not mean its not still a webserver
hosts intended for web services do not like
it when you use them for other, resource heavy, purposes, even if you can with technical knowhow/workarounds.
Terms Of Service on most webhosts prevent exactly this kind of behavior.

Excellent, you criticize me for being
a naysayer, yet you did the exact same thing in
this thread : http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/runuo-2-1-xmlspawner.472301/#post-3681885 and got proven wrong

SSH and open ports does not mean its not still a webserver
hosts intended for web services do not like
it when you use them for other, resource heavy, purposes, even if you can with technical knowhow/workarounds.
Terms Of Service on most webhosts prevent exactly this kind of behavior.

Making my mistake does not nullify it. The arguments you use now are different from those above. You said "[...] it cannot host other services." and "It is NOT possible." which was clearly wrong. Jeff however invested some more gray cells in the matter and the arguments sound convincing.

Sorry to get off-topic like that. I'll try not to diverge to personal disputes like this.

Making my mistake does not nullify it.
No but making the mistake first doesn't give you a step up to your high horse when others do either. Besides, I'm right, if not for the reasons I originally thought. You weren't.

Besides, my behavior? I wasn't rude to him once. Blunt? Perhaps. Not cheerful and friendly? Definitely, but helping someone doesn't not require fellating them

The arguments you use now are different from those above. You said "[...] it cannot host other services." and "It is NOT possible." which was clearly wrong.
I made the same arguments, added some new ones perhaps, but from the beginning I said it was NOT possible to install RunUO on a webserver, and he has yet to do so. And it is CLEARLY a SHARED WEB Server. SSH and open ports don't have shit to do with anything, not sure where you got that idea from.

I was wrong about mono, it spits out about 50 million warnings and takes about 40 minutes, but it does compile on bluehost (owned by same company as hostmonster, very similar setup, also mentioned in the exact same guide) The environment variables fail though

Zach Willette

Wanderer
I think that we will be ok it's only for a small group of friends at the moment and thus I doubt will exceed any of the extraneous demands. As far as opening ports as I said I can have any port opened to my need so opening 2593 won't be an issue. I think that if I for instance made this a public server where I intended to allow 20+ people on it at any given time I may run into issues. But the amount of bandwidth that RunUO will be using for the small group of us will likely not even make a blip of what would be considered abuse.