RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Server Hosting on Hostmonster

Jeffss not talking about bandwidth so much, in fact the bandwidth requirements are so low for runuo that its probably way more than you would need. (2-3 kbps per person, and thats a liberal estimate) Memory usage on a shared webserver is spread thin already. So is CPU. Many webhosts that allow ssh access, kill any user process that exceeds a memory threshold for 5 minutes or so. This will happen alot with a live shard, fully populated and decorated.

all of this is assumign you can get runuo to work on the webhost in the first place

this is from bluehost (mine) and bluehost and hostmonster are run by the same parent company. It is pretty standard fare among webhosts that I have used in the past:

https://www.bluehost.com/cgi/help/478

The program or script you run on your site may require a process to run longer than 5 minutes.
  • On a shared IP address, the process will terminate at the 5 minute mark (300 seconds).
  • With a dedicated IP address, processes are allowed to run for more than 5 minutes as long as they aren't consuming too much of the server's memory, which would result in account being throttled. See CEO's Blog.
  • Account throttling can occur both on a shared and a dedicated IP address.
  • Certain voice chat programs require a dedicated IP address before they can be setup and used.
  • If you have a program that sends out emails every so many seconds, such as from a mailing list program like DaDa Mail, then you would need to get a dedicated IP address, if it's going to take more than 5 minutes to send out the emails.
A dedicated IP address will help when processes from scripts or programs, which don't consume too much CPU, need to run in the background for longer than 5 minutes.
RunUO is definitely "Too much"

Zach Willette

Wanderer
We do have a dedicated IP as far as server resources we will of course test prior to running this server what kind of usage we'll have for the player-base we plan on playing with (likely no more than 10). Again we havn't succeeded yet but are making progress. Should still be interesting.
The CEO's Blog is rather interesting and I think this will actually help us ;) http://www.mattheaton.com/?p=208
Granted of course I'm not through bluehost (I am on their servers though)

Zach Willette

Wanderer
Lol that's kinda funny. When I spoke with a rep on the phone about the dedicated processor cores it sounded like he represented both companies too. Kinda a strange setup if you ask me.

Jeff

Lord
Lol that's kinda funny. When I spoke with a rep on the phone about the dedicated processor cores it sounded like he represented both companies too. Kinda a strange setup if you ask me.
Not really strange at all, a lot of web companies do this. Imagine you have a site that ranks high on google, and you make 5-6 more sites the same way... Now, someone searches for "Web Hosting" on google and boom 4-6 of your sites show up in the top 10 on google, this greatly increases your odds in gaining that person as a customer. Smart if you ask me.

Zach Willette

Wanderer
Not really strange at all, a lot of web companies do this. Imagine you have a site that ranks high on google, and you make 5-6 more sites the same way... Now, someone searches for "Web Hosting" on google and boom 4-6 of your sites show up in the top 10 on google, this greatly increases your odds in gaining that person as a customer. Smart if you ask me.
Yeah I suppose that makes complete sense lol smart business move.

leaddore

Wanderer
For those wondering, I have succeeded in getting the RunUO server working on hostmonster, one glitch I am dealing with right now and it will be completely up and running. Yes thats right, I rock ;)

Zach Willette

Wanderer
Same here we have everything hammered out now should be a matter of porting it from our virtual server to the real deal woop woop.

EDIT: Just found out that leaddore is mah boy so I guess we are still the first ones.

kerovan

Wanderer
Ironically, we were already running a minecraft server on hostmonster and the runuo server seems to be taking up less resources than the minecraft server. Probably not going to try running both at the same time but I don't think it will be that big of a problem.

Dreadfull

Sorceror
From what I can gather.. Hostmonster is just like "justhost.com" how did you get a Runuo server to host and run on the server? If I could figure that out I would be saving a lot because my webhost plan is only 100$ a year.

Jeff

Lord
I see this turning into a huge problem. Dreadfull, do you realize the implications of doing this? Have you read this entire thread (specifically me and shrundowr's points)?

leaddore

Wanderer
I recommended against doing it, to be perfectly honest, while it is doable, it takes up too much process on saves and ends up locking the entire process causing the save to get corrupted just about every time. While it is doable, it is no where near the best option, I have already taken it down from hostmonster and moved it to my personal linux box.

Dreadfull

Sorceror
I was mostly in agreement on the thought process that it wouldn't work but even for a slight chance of it working I was interested though. To everyones input and response it is very informative. I will most likely still with my home hosting and if I need more then double my speed. Thanks again to everyone for this informational resource :)