RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Server on college Internet?

ultima_killa

Sorceror
Server on college Internet?

I have recently taken my server to college. The Internet is crazy and the server is running on an alienware. Before I try anything crazy I wanted to see if I'm going to have to acess there router or should it work without editing that??

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
Could run a port scanner on it and see if they have any open unused ports. Then just set your server to use that port number.

Murzin

Knight
if your IP is an internal IP, then nobody outside your network can access your server.

if it is an external IP, that does not guarentee people outside the network can access your computer, but it sure helps.

your average college campus has agreements that you wont participate in peer to peer networks or host servers.

check the paperwork you signed.

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
...Do you teach yourself everything Murzin?

Anything that can access the internet MUST have an external IP. So no matter what college he is at, he can get the external IP needed. His problem will be the port issue, but it can also be possible to use a port they already have open (if they even have one open.) Or even ssh tunnel the port he wants through port 80.

Now of course you also run the risk of going against a contract or something. But it's a college, doubt the punishment would be harsh at all for running a game server on their connect. Besides, most of the time. Colleges have pretty lame DBA's and they would probably not even be able to tell the guy is running a server. Worst they would do is ask him to stop running it or they would revoke his access.

Always worth a try. =P

Murzin

Knight
James, you are not correct.

if you are inside a network ( and thusly have an internal ip ) then there are numerous ways to access the larger internet.

proxy servers, NAT, PAT, NAT+PAT

those methods use your internal address to provide their connection to the internet at large

but they all hide your internal IP

its not the open port he has to find, its the port FORWARDING that is the problem. he would have to get them to forward a port to his computer on their hardware.

AB:

i know about NAT, i currently hold a CCNA and NAT, PAT, and NAT+PAT is on that test. im well aware of them and even know how to set them up on a cisco router.

and yes that is 3 different setups.

1 IP but using ports to differentiate and share the connection is PAT ( port address translation )
multiple IPs using a 1:1 ratio is NAT
multiple IPs multi-plexing on multiple ports is NAT+PAT

but none of that matters, its getting the school to setup the port forwarding that is going to be the problem for people external to his network to connect to his server. otherwise only people internal to the network can connect.

if he has an internal IP

you guys need to re-read what i said until you understand it.

ultima_killa

Sorceror
Ok port scanner. Recommended program? Also do I just change the port in serverlist.cs to what is open? Or is there more to it? Thanks for all the help guys!

zaldeskull

Sorceror
ultima_killa;851633 said:
Ok port scanner. Recommended program? Also do I just change the port in serverlist.cs to what is open? Or is there more to it? Thanks for all the help guys!

nmap is a free one.

zaldeskull

Sorceror
Murzin;851629 said:
James, you are not correct.

if you are inside a network ( and thusly have an internal ip ) then there are numerous ways to access the larger internet.

proxy servers, NAT, PAT, NAT+PAT

those methods use your internal address to provide their connection to the internet at large

but they all hide your internal IP

its not the open port he has to find, its the port FORWARDING that is the problem. he would have to get them to forward a port to his computer on their hardware.

AB:

i know about NAT, i currently hold a CCNA and NAT, PAT, and NAT+PAT is on that test. im well aware of them and even know how to set them up on a cisco router.

and yes that is 3 different setups.

1 IP but using ports to differentiate and share the connection is PAT ( port address translation )
multiple IPs using a 1:1 ratio is NAT
multiple IPs multi-plexing on multiple ports is NAT+PAT

but none of that matters, its getting the school to setup the port forwarding that is going to be the problem for people external to his network to connect to his server. otherwise only people internal to the network can connect.

if he has an internal IP

you guys need to re-read what i said until you understand it.

ultima_killa,
Check into the VPN ports. Most ISP leave them at passthru. Even though I doubt you could forward over
you could easily setup a quick windows pptp vpn and "NAT" it to your server if you had a small user base.

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
A computer connected to a large college network, you're still going to be able to get an internal IP no matter what. An an external IP. It's connected to the internet, the main purpose of college networks.

You can use nmap to scan the ports, or even try tunneling it over through ssh, just not sure how well that would work out for a game server. I use ssh a lot for other things, like when I vnc to my computer from my phone from the network at my work. Or an even easier method, would be to ask some of the nerdy kids there at your college if any of them run a server for anything. Or if they know of any open ports not being used.

ultima_killa

Sorceror
Soteric I relize you need router access to configure ports. But I also understand if there is an open port I can change it from 2593 to whatever is currently open on the router correct?

Murzin

Knight
i have no idea why they are telling you to scan for ports.

it wont do anything to help you at all

your problem is you would need access to the router multi-plexing the IP/ports to provide you external access.

you do not determine the port, they do when they setup port forwarding to your computer.

which i would not give a high possibility of being able to do unless ur a hot chick sleeping with one of the IT guys

and maybe not even then.

zaldeskull

Sorceror
ultima_killa;851659 said:
Also I have no clue what the command is to scan for ports :confused:

easiest way to do it is contact your internet tech support. Ask them if you can have port 2593 unfiltered to your routers address. or price unrestricted or unfiltered internet access.

Murzin

Knight
he doesnt have a router, he is on a college campus inside their internal network

he would need to get the college IT/Network people to setup a port forwarding on one of their border routers to his computer and let him know the port/ip he should have people connect on

ultima_killa

Sorceror
Oh I get what your saying Murzin! Your mac address has to be registered on their router to the 2593 port. But I thought some routers had global open ports? At least they need to have TCP ports open to even be able to access the internet. Anyway I could use one of those? Or does it boil down to having to ask an IT?

lordqane

Wanderer
I used to work IT for a university here in TX, and i can say that the above is correct. 99% of all universities will not allow private servers to be run on their networkm even worse.. to add to the above topic of port scanning, activities such as this can be expellable offenses on some campuses, not t0o mention that even if the port is open, it is more than likely only open to allow certain types of traffic, and definitely not UDP or TCP connections on a p2p. Add also that as soon as you set up your server and try and access your server from your laptop in your dorm room, you will most likely have to do so with a router in your room in order to accomplish this, and most campuses also restrict routers in student dorms due to the mess they can cause... especially if dhcp is enabled on the router and connected to the school network. Read your Student Computing Handbook, or contact your IT or ResNet staff, but in my experience, it is usually much less of a headache and much easier in the l0ong run to just fork out the cash for a server colocation and host your server in someone elses farm cluster. Most colocations are fairly cheap, i have 15 19" racks being colocated for MUCH less than it would cost me to build/maintain the server room and not to mention a dedicated dual oc-48 connection for them with very generous bandwidth allocation. A single server can be hosted for 15-30 a month depending on required bandwidth, cooling, power requirements, security, backup, maintenance, etc. Do a search in your area for "Server Colocation", many of the sites will allow 24/7 access for maintenance and upgrading your server. You supply and maintain the box, and they take care of the rest of the logistics.