RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So far i'm impressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gunther

So far i'm impressed

Granted, there's about 7 years of past work to go off of (no real effort to requirements gathering) but this rewrite looks pretty clean, has a pretty well organized namespace, and is looking good.

Best feature... run-time recompile of scripts. A true DB back-end looks to be something easy to accomplish *after* the 1.0 release. (for those of us that like our little tables)

Good job to this point. Where is the "things left to do" list? I *might* be able to assist.

Yes, it's the same gunther as from the old uox. (before that javascript engine turned me off)

-Gunther

A

Allmight

Ok.

First of all, this is not a rewrite, this is coded from scratch up. UOX is no more. RunUO has nothing in common with UOX what so ever.

Yeah, this project has alot of potential, and since the scripting language is a full fledged programming language the options are almost endeless.

There is no left to do list. If you want to contribute you have to download the latest beta, reade the occational "what's in next beta" and se what is missing, then script/code it.

A

Allmight

err

Im not bashing UOX. I just said UOX is no more. With UOX i mean the real UOX, not any of the offsprings. Im not counting EvilDead's UOX because it is very dormant and will probably be gone as well soon.

C

Chaos

Re: So far i'm impressed

Gunther said:
Granted, there's about 7 years of past work to go off of (no real effort to requirements gathering) but this rewrite looks pretty clean, has a pretty well organized namespace, and is looking good.

7 years of what? UO hasnt even been around for 7 years. Also, this is no rewrite, its a completely new project that Krrios started on his spare time (just like his client).

Gunther said:
Best feature... run-time recompile of scripts. A true DB back-end looks to be something easy to accomplish *after* the 1.0 release. (for those of us that like our little tables)

Recompiling of the scripts requires a shutdown, also, I have not heard any plans to make a database backend for anything, I know Ryan was discussing doing accounts though.

Im not sure where you got your information about RunUO, but I suggest you backtrack through these forums until you have a better grasp on what these guys are trying to do with RunUO.

Etalicus

Sorceror
:evil:
hmm 7 years well maybe 6 but i understand time flys when your having fun i still cant beleave im playing a game i started about 6 years ago :)
:twisted:

G

Gunther

D'oh, yeah, december of 1997. O.k., almost 5 years. *sigh* losing that math ability.

Recompiling scripts requires a server shutdown? odd, I just did that the other night and didn't get kicked off my server. or does [recompile not recompile scripts? (maybe i'm just confused on some terminology)

amazing, I try out a compliment and get flamed and smacked around. *shrug*

A

Allmight

Same here.

I was'nt smacking you around. I was just correcting you as well since it looked like you had the impression RunUO was based on UOX.

I

Ivel

Re: So far i'm impressed

Gunther said:

I think what gunther meant here was that things like packets, items, etc have already been defined from other emu projects, thus giving RunUO the ability to focus 100% of the efforts into the server itself instead of packet sniffing, item info gathering, etc... We all know RunUO was written from the ground up. After all, what other EMU's have been developed using c# or any .net lang?

personally, I think RunUO is a great app and has a very positive future. I love that someone finally decided to prove that c# is a language that can be used for an environment like this.

However, UO is a 5 year old game with a player base that is shrinking by the day. But hey, that's no emu's fault. If anything, the continued support by the different EMU's out there are probably helping UO live longer.

Anyways, good to see things moving along nicely here.

A

AlejandroX

The player base is not shrinking. Perhaps the veteran player base is.

chad

Wanderer
If the player base were shrinking I doubt they would be starting up new servers. Didn't I just read somewhere that they opened a new shard/server in the passed couple weeks?

How are you on scripts Gunther? I'm not involved in dev at all but just from running the server I can see that they need monster and vendor scripts. Also I was hoping somebody would work on the mining and smithing. I'd like to see the smithhammer working. I'd also like to be able to smith gem armor and weapons. Last I checked you can't smelt gems yet. Somebody could work on bowcraft. There's a bunch of sticky (I mean you get stuck) in the castles. I'm sure there's plenty to do if you want to dive in. :D

xutees

Wanderer
i dont think the UO player base is shrinking at all
there will be new shards coming out for a long time i think.....well as long as EMUs keep giving OSI ideas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.