RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The City Map.

Enroq

Sorceror
Long ago, when I was of hopes and dreams, friends and I would theorize and fantasize about what an experience would be like inside a map-sized town.

Meaning all game-play would take place inside this town, and that the dungeons, and mobile encounters would all take place inside the town, as well. Ive always liked this idea, but there's a few problems to solved.

I was wondering if anyone else was interested in undergoing such an endeavor?

We would start off with say, a 500x500 square area.

Dian

Sorceror
Interesting... a metropolis style UO. Thats a lot of building and decorating!

It could be like, Gangs of New York erra :)

Enroq

Sorceror
It could be. I'm still weighing the options. Honestly, I'm not sure how I'd handle animal taming or resource gathering. I'm open to suggestion.

Dian

Sorceror
Well, underground mines would work well for ore's and jewels. Green house's might work for agriculture stuff, as well as growing trees to harvest wood's, in a 'community' fashion, even if the main system is automatic growth. (like trees in one greenhouse are just there, growing.. rather than player dependent planting etc)

Im sure the most could be handled like that, and maybe an area that receives goods from the 'outside' that you cant find any real workable city system to produce?

Amazonia

Sorceror
Greenhouse - very good idea for the "wilderness", because all maps need its little wilderness. :p

There could also be the city's lake (maybe in the center- this would make the map seem larger), with an island in the middle that could either contain the entrance to a dungeon, ie: water dungeon, or a place for artefact, anything else really.

As for animal taming, adding cats & dogs & rats would be fairly easy because it's a city, but you could also add a land of farms & ranches to the west or east. Maybe some part of it could even be without guardzones making it a little more scary! And if the shard is non-pvp there could be brigand invasions or such. On farms that's already quite a bunch of animals, and bulls are good for GMing taming.

Dungeon ideas: City's graveyards crypt (good to put all the undead mobiles), The mine could contain an entrance that leads to a dungeon part of the mine, a water mine if you put a lake,
or if you want a dungeons with completely "different" themes from the city, you could add "magical portals", meaning no "cave entrance", this could be a good idea too and would make it seem more "modern".

So with a lake, a mine and a greenhouse you get lumberjacking, mining, and fishing.

As for leather, if there is a farm/ranches landmass then there would be enough animals for this.

Good luck with your project!

And out of curiousty, what'd be the approximate era? (t2a; uor; aos+?)

Dian

Sorceror
There is also the idea of a lost lands as well, that would serve as source for whatever resource as well.

Enroq

Sorceror
All great ideas, thanks guys. Though to be honest, I'm still on the fence. As for the era, I'd say between LBR and AOS. For instance, magic resist preforms like LBR magic resist, while armor still produces elemental resistances.

Amazonia

Sorceror
Yea, just be careful not to give players double resistance though. :p

If I were you, I would add a comparaison between armor resisting vs. magic resist skill resisting (if resisted = 50% of the damage in LBR I believe) and whichever resists the most is used.

Miracle99

Squire
Another Idea could be put teleporters right inside of a door, then it would teleport you to another identical building but it could be expanded into a dungeon. Similar to old school games.

pooka01

Sorceror
You could always create some places with spaced houses where there can be large fields, and modest wooden shacks, where could live a newly created swamp invasion etc... You can also add big mountains (grass and mountain for cliff tiles), rivers, a little shore leading to nowhere... But an idea would be condamned zones, such as swamp infestation, zombie plagues, poor place with alot of rats, mining shaft opening on reptilian population, or even mutant rats... the idea is not that bad in overal, just need to be careful not to be too repetitive... :p