RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The decision to discontinue ConnectUO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
I wanted to take a moment to shed some light on the decision to discontinue ConnectUO for the sake of the community at large.

Due to being out of the town over the weekend I wrote a hasty post to try to convey to everyone that we were discontinuing ConnectUO in a manner which was direct and held no personal feelings on the matter but it's obvious I need to share with you, the users the long running issues which lead to our decision as a team to discontinue this product (in it's current iteration) and service we provide.

I'll spare you the history of ConnectUO, the complains all of us had about it's overly complex requirements and my personal feelings (for the most part) and just give you the answers you want.

ConnectUO was an unmaintainable piece of software, one which none of us were overly thrilled about and due to Jeff's departure it was just best to put ConnectUO (in it's current iteration) to bed finally. While ConnectUO formed most of the basic functions it was never really what we would call "complete" which made the decision to shut it down just that much easier.

The proverbial next step for the RunUO Team is relatively simple, we're going to expand, bring in some more people and take a long hard look at the idea of revamping ConnectUO or just baking the features of ConnectUO into Razor. We really are not sure at this point.

Krrios, Mark and I have discussed ConnectUO over the last few weeks and ideas for it but in reality we have nothing near the product stage at this point. I know there are many alternatives out there and for the time being you're welcome to use them. If we do come up with something you'll be the first to know.

If you have any questions, you're welcome to ask me personally and I will answer your questions.

serenityuo

Sorceror
I had one of the first servers on UOGateway, and I had a shard on ConnectUO for years also. I haev to say I am sad to see it go, but I think it will be for the better. :) Ryan I know you and I had our hard times lol.. like when i would bitch and advertize n stuff, but I was much younger then :) No hard feelings I hope. After like 6-8 years of running a UO shard, I have to say I Love having UOGateway, and ConnectUO type programs for my players to use. We shard owners Need programs like this.

To just throw an idea out there bro, Razor should show a list of UO shards similer to the way games like Unreal Tournament, or other shooter games have it, where players can register, and put their shard in a list. If the shard deactivates, then it will drop off the list. That way people can access All the servers available.

Long live ConnectUO! =]

-Toast

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Toast -

Not sure I even remember those "run-in's" but none the less have no fear. After a team meeting tonight the RunUO Team has decided to revamp the entire service of ConnectUO. I appreciate your feedback and understand the important role our tools like ConnectUO and Razor provide to the free shard community and in continuing our commitment to the community we will again provide such great functionality.

Thank you very much for your feedback and have a good evening.

-Ryan

serenityuo

Sorceror
Your very welcome man! Glad to see someone is keeping the free UO community interesting ;) I look forward to seeing what you guys have in store. Good luck, and I'm sure if you need help some of these kids on here have a LOT of time to dedicate ;) hehe peace.

Hiring Man

Sorceror
Well Ryan, i owe you an apology. I never really looked at the news except when i am bored. Now i know this i am sorry. Hope you can accept a treaty? :)

Hope the new CUO or improved CUO comes out great and all works out. Sorry again.

PS: already a question for all of us but out of curiosity, when might this newer or better CUO version come out? And will it be a new program or an update to this cuo?

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
We're finalizing some details tonight... I'll do another news post tomorrow with all of the details. I'm not angry with you, no need to be sorry :)

Ryan

Hiring Man

Sorceror
Alright, all to the best and will wait for the news. And know i am off to bed, my eyes are barely keeping up with me :/

Alyssa Dark

Sorceror
Good Morning,

Went to log in and can not, I can see why now, lol.

I haven't used razor in some time, does it still require that the patched files be put into the uo folder, replacing the originals, for them to work? That is the main reason I haven't used it for some time since we had multiple shard patches going on. That is one of the ideas that ConnectUO and LUOGo did that I liked, put patching into seperate folders in another location to keep them organized. I hope that idea is considered for the possible new version or incorporated into razor.

Thanks for keeping us updated and good luck on continuing from here with that project, I know it's not an overnight thing.
Have a good one.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Good Morning,

Went to log in and can not, I can see why now, lol.

I haven't used razor in some time, does it still require that the patched files be put into the uo folder, replacing the originals, for them to work? That is the main reason I haven't used it for some time since we had multiple shard patches going on. That is one of the ideas that ConnectUO and ListUOGo did that I liked, put patching into seperate folders in another location to keep them organized. I hope that idea is considered for the possible new version or incorporated into razor.

Thanks for keeping us updated and good luck on continuing from here with that project, I know it's not an overnight thing.
Have a good one.

We will handle patching ;)

milva

Sorceror
Well I hope this will actually happen and another program will be created which can
handle patches for servers. Alot loved connectuo because of the fact it is so easy for them
to download patches when they don't have a clue as how to accomplish this. While
other's do just use razor and exact the patches within their game folder.
In the past it took a good year for connectuo to finally work again,
hope this time span will be much shorter! Thank's for listening to the community!;)

RomeoV007

Sorceror
While your improving upon razor what about making the profile save locally into the razor folder instead of the appdata\roaming\razor folder? lol :) i hate storing data locally to my machine or any machine due to annoyance.

Status
Not open for further replies.