RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The low down on RunUO Scripts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
The low down on RunUO Scripts.

The scripts of RunUO are GPL. Not just the scripts we write, but the ones you write also.

These scripts are derivative works of the RunUO Distribution Core and Scripts thus are governed by the GPL. When you post a script here it is automatically licensed under the GPL. You are bound to the terms of the GPL.

If you do not like that, if you choose to not to support our licensing (GPL) then you are welcome to find another project that is not GPL based.

The entire point of the GPL is to ensure that the works are free to be distributed. That's why we chose it.

Learn it, live it and love it. Or get out of it.

The choice is yours.

crackrat

Wanderer
I'm loving it and the SVN. kudos.

i remember back to 1.0 when we went to the GPL and all that wanted the core. i thought at that time most understood that thier work was also under that licence, and that the GPL also pertains to other sites releasing scripts for RUNUO server use.

Rift

Wanderer
Woot!! The devs finally backed up what I said about the scripts long ago when the issue of GPL first popped up :D Gotta Love Object-Oriented programming ;)

joantinet

Wanderer
Finally...

I hope everyone on this community took you as an example.

Many people do 1 and don't share even 0.5.

You have done KKKKKKK and share it all.

People should really think about it, to share their scripts based in a hole system which has taken thousand times more effort to the Developers of RunUO, and which you share free of charge and freely to everyone.

I hope everything could go back to the place where it was, back in 2003 when I joined this community (and before when I wasnt an user but followed it).

Enough said. I hope this words don't end up in an empty bucket...

archiep

Wanderer
Ryan said:
The scripts of RunUO are GPL. Not just the scripts we write, but the ones you write also.

These scripts are derivative works of the RunUO Distribution Core and Scripts thus are governed by the GPL. When you post a script here it is automatically licensed under the GPL. You are bound to the terms of the GPL.

If you do not like that, if you choose to not to support our licensing (GPL) then you are welcome to find another project that is not GPL based.

The entire point of the GPL is to ensure that the works are free to be distributed. That's why we chose it.

Learn it, live it and love it. Or get out of it.

The choice is yours.

Great! Glad that argument is settled. With that said is it possible that some of us could stop putting those irritating headers in scripts. It just takes up space.
Oh btw Im lovin 2.0 lots of nice stuff in there if I can just figure it out.
Thanks.

NiteStar

Wanderer
I can't script YET, even if they stuck a Kantra up my nose I couldn't make a script but am/was glad that many updates were posted of old original scripts by people that could.

I noticed in almost every post/offer the original credit was given to the people that had originally created the script or the it was stated that they did not originally write it and that should have been good enough.

I was really sad to see a couple of people become angry and I can understand that but at least we now have a much better understanding of the GPL and I just hope it all settles down so we can be a stronger community.

RunUO is the very best and has many talented people, it is such a great place because so many help each other with issues, I want to always see it work this way.

;) ;)

Phantom

Knight
NiteStar said:
I can't script YET, even if they stuck a Kantra up my nose I couldn't make a script but am/was glad that many updates were posted of old original scripts by people that could.

I noticed in almost every post/offer the original credit was given to the people that had originally created the script or the it was stated that they did not originally write it and that should have been good enough.

I was really sad to see a couple of people become angry and I can understand that but at least we now have a much better understanding of the GPL and I just hope it all settles down so we can be a stronger community.

RunUO is the very best and has many talented people, it is such a great place because so many help each other with issues, I want to always see it work this way.

;) ;)

I am not exactly sure who your talking about when you say people got angry...

Phantom said:
I hope people will at least respect other people, thats my only hope.

always have, to the point of asking permission to post a rework of someone elses work even though technically didn't have to.

Cerberus

Wanderer
Nicely cleared up... i should think about submitting the only 2 scripts i ever wrote.. er i mean edited ;) as i cant script ( only edit )...

On a side note

Would it be possible to set up a new section for 2.0 scripts to save any confusion from members downloading 1.0 version then adding false bug reports in based on this.

darkstorm

Wanderer
Yep this is absolutly true.

Read the GPL FAQ about this issue:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCOOPLang

Question:
In an object-oriented language such as Java, if I use a class that is GPL'ed without modifying, and subclass it, in what way does the GPL affect the larger program?
Answer: Subclassing is creating a derivative work. Therefore, the terms of the GPL affect the whole program where you create a subclass of a GPL'ed class.

By subclassing or using ANY of RunUOs classes in your script, you automatically create a derivate work although you do not include the code itself.

cu,
Storm

pex

Wanderer
darkstorm said:
By subclassing or using ANY of RunUOs classes in your script, you automatically create a derivate work although you do not include the code itself.

Does that require a binary be made from the script as the script is otherwise 'just data' and not part of RunUO until it is compiled? (I find it really odd that the GPL FAQ never addresses whether a binary must be created in order to render a script a derivative work - If my trained monkey writes the same script without knowledge of RunUO, it couldn't possibly be a derivate work until it gets turned into one by compilation.)

(I'm reading the actual GPL right now to see if it's answered.)

pex said:
Does that require a binary be made from the script as the script is otherwise 'just data' and not part of RunUO until it is compiled? (I find it really odd that the FAQ never addresses whether a binary must be created in order to render a script a derivative work - If my trained monkey writes the same script without knowledge of RunUO, it couldn't possibly be a derivate work until it gets turned into one by compilation.)

(I'm reading the actual GPL right now to see if it's answered.)

Ryan said:
When you post a script here it is automatically licensed under the GPL. You are bound to the terms of the GPL.

Since its Ryan's site and he made that statement I think that answers the question you ask...

pex

Wanderer
We're talking about the GPL, and terms under which both he and we could be bound, and under which RunUO is bound.

Ryan did not write the GPL, and no, nothing he said in any post on this thread answered my question, which is why I put forth the question.

One cannot just pick and choose parts of the GPL to support.

You do not have to provide a binary.

On the other hand you do not need to publish your scripts as long as you keep them for yourself. But if you give them to the public, you have to deal with what the GPL says. :)

pex

Wanderer
On the other hand you do not need to publish your scripts as long as you keep them for yourself. But if you give them to the public, you have to deal with what the GPL says.

Not necessarily, and that is the question I'm asking: does a script need to be compiled once (regardless of distribution) for it to be considered derivative work -- that is, although subclassing is covered under the GPL and creates a derivative work, isn't it actually not truely a subclass until compiled as one? Is it not just text until it is made executable, retroactively causing it to be 'source code' and then a derivative work?

Rift

Wanderer
Umm pex to use the script you are compiling otherwise it wouldn't work Runuo compiles them on start the script as a standalone is nothing without the Core server to compile it

pex said:
Is it not just text until it is made executable

LOL sounds like the classic excuse of a filesharer...........isn't it but 1's and 0's till the pces are put together.......

Status
Not open for further replies.