RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UO Conversion/Re-Build

Tarn Blackhail

Sorceror
I was at work today, and for some reason got to thinking about UO... it's pretty versatile in what you can do with it, in scripting/modding.... and the idea popped in my head, that, really, you don't have to be restricted to UO's typical fantasy world... hell, with the right time and know-how, you could probably re-do UO to fit any era you wanted... which brings up my suggestion. A Star-Wars based re-build on UO's engine. eh, i don't really have anything else to add to my suggestion at this time, but i just figured i should share my idea with the community I've grown fond of over the year or two i've been poking around the forums. i welcome any and all input.

Phr3d13

Sorceror
it sounds like a huge undertaking, but it sounds feasable. a LOT of code editing, a LOT of artwork editing, and you'd probably want to put in your own sounds too. so basically you'd have to package your own client for people. but yeah, definitely sounds possible. keep me updated if you decide to do something like that.

Tarn Blackhail

Sorceror
I actually might... yeah, it's alot of work. but alot of it is already there, in a manner of speaking. if it was done, i feel like it would be simply amazing.. off the top of my head, i can think of a few things you'd need to do...
-tile editing, custom mapping.
-weapons/armor re-do/overhaul
-removal/editing of certain systems like magic, for example. spells like telekenesis could be used (with maybe a few tweaks) to simulate things like force pull...
- careful editing of system messages, and things of that sort, that might be relevant...

it is a huge project, but i think its do-able. the only thing i forsee being a problem, is scripting, as i am incapable of it lol.

Nockar

Sorceror
It’s definitely doable.

The amount of work involved would be enormous. Like really really really a lot of work.
To give you an idea, as a very ruff estimate, 2-3 years of multiple hours a day/week.

Kennyd

Sorceror
Heh.. I wouldn't work for someone for free, especially not with a vague game design like "a Star-Wars based UO shard". I realise that must sound very mean... but there's alot of truth to it. I really would suggest you start with something small if you've never coded anything before in your life.

Jeff

Lord
You sound like one of those assholes that always puts people down... If you aren't going to add anything beneficial to this thread, stop posting in it.

Kennyd

Sorceror
Just speaking from personal experience... and I already said I realized it sounds mean xD

Tarn Blackhail

Sorceror
no offense taken. i'm playing around w/ ideas as far as what direction id go with something like this... thanks for the feedback.

Tarn Blackhail

Sorceror
OK, i have done my research (or so i think), and i'm getting ready to go ahead with this fiasco i cooked up. wish me luck!
i plan on using:
uoFiddler: artwork
Dragon(9 or 11, uncertain which functions best): custom mapping. (keeping in mind i have to write down which tiles replaced which, so i don't screw up and think im placing tile a, and end up with tile wtf. in case you don't know what that means: i re-do say, dirt, with metal plating, i need to know that, so i make record of it.)
mul editor: Not quite sure what i need this for, but darn if it don't look nifty! lol.
good ol' notepad: scripting- thats about all it's good for in this instance... i might not know how to script, but i can understand them to an extent, enough to make my way around... besides, a project like this is bound to teach me a thing or 2.

Well, that's all i have for now! i don't quite know if it will be a starwars redux of uo, perhap's i'll just go for a space-like/sci-fi theme, and make something completely original, that to me sounds like a good idea, and has much less risk of some sort of copy write infringement.

If i have anything; information/updates, screenshots, or hell, questions, i'll keep them all tucked away in this thread, so if i've grabbed your interest with this, check here. (bookmarks/favorites work wonders for tracking threads...)
my inbox stays pretty checked, so feel free to pm me about it, if you feel so inclined.

Much love, runuo!
-Tarn

Dragon mod9+ is the best version. 10 and 11 have some added features, but they are buggy and will often result in undesired output.

Tarn Blackhail

Sorceror
thanks for info, i got work so i g2g soon, but i've got a few ideas.
I want to reskin mounts, to be spacecraft/vehicular-types of some sort, (meaning i also have to work flying into the mix, for air-based vehicles), and have it set the player to invisible, or no body, (meaning it looks like player is in the vehicle.)
rework ranged weapons, armors, (& gump art), for blasters.
-try- to rework new races & rework char. creation & it's gumps.

that's all i got time for for right now.

Tarn Blackhail

Sorceror
Hey, i'd like to request a mod move this post if it's in an inappropriate spot. just please shoot me a pm w/ a link, so i can locate it to keep track of all my updates/stuff.

Tarn Blackhail

Sorceror
yeah, that's why i've decided to just go with a space-like theme, and just be completely original with everything. sci-fi/futuristic, the other option i had was a modern day, but that does not leave much room for 'fiction'.