RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[UO] EAGames is closing the dowload centers

alambik

Sorceror
[UO] EAGames is closing the dowload centers

Dear all,

It seems EAGames is currently closing the UO dowload from their website (Not the new UOKR, of course).
The mirrors will probably also close their UO download.

So we also can expect to not be able to download the patchs from EAGames in a middle terms.

Probably to improve the chance for the new UOKR client, that will not be compatible with emulators.

So...

...My advice is to keep a copy of your UO with the latest patch if you want your player to continue playing on your shard.

BTW, UOKR is very nice ( no, I don't get tip from EAGame for this sentence :) ).

Thank you RunUO team and members for the work you achieved during those years, it will remain a very good example of how a MMORPG can be coded.
Thank you to the Ultima Online creators for the creation of this great game.

Ohms_Law

Wanderer
I figured something like this would happen sooner or later. Anyone have some hard drive space on a server somewhere that their willing to donate to the rest of us?
;)

Marvin19491

Sorceror
Mabee This has been discussed already but I noticed EA shutting down and the game as we once know it is no more . KR is not UO as it were . But with the downfall of this why should we let this game go by the wayside . now remember I have been away a long time and have not had a chance to read up on all the forums so i may be restating what has already been said. That said this is what I think. Should put some more work into the Play UO client to make it the standing last image of OU all the way up to the 8th age . That way the server owner can set the version up till then and change the name drop the client on a generic host site that appeals to gamers . Have a nice flashy front page that shows the gamplay just like any other free game . and have a link at the bottom to DL the server list provider or just build it into the client . Some people wont play a game if they have to set it up or adjust it to play. Then UO will exist another 10 years as it is now and we don't loose our hangout because of no way to play the game we so artfully balance to our own liking .

Courageous

Wanderer
Understand that this won't work; insofar as one cannot get a copy of the old UO from an authorized download point, anyone offering a download of the old UO can be shut down by EA (and sued... unauthorized distribution of even UO's old client is very definitely a copyright violation).

C//

ardat

Wanderer
well since they still have 9th age and old versions of UO for sale, i dont think that patching going to be problem very soon. All who buyed those needs to get patched somehow.

Johabius

Knight
As of this post UO: ML client is still available at download.com Hurry and get yours before it's gone.

Johabius

Knight
Anti-Basic;695484 said:
Its probably been available as a torrent since they announced KR...
Probably, but since downloading the client from an unofficial source is illegal, perhaps you shouldn't mention that in public;)

Johabius;695486 said:
Probably, but since downloading the client from an unofficial source is illegal, perhaps you shouldn't mention that in public;)
I INFRINGE COPYRIGHTS

like that?

Anti-Basic;695490 said:
I INFRINGE COPYRIGHTS

like that?

Reported.

zartanian

Sorceror
How would I be able to save the latest patch? If I needed to reinstall UO and the patch was not available...that would not be good. How do I avoid that?

TheOutkastDev;695491 said:
Reported.

I think he meant from EA/OSI. I highly doubt Ryan or anyone else from this forum gives a damn whether I download the old ML client from a torrent.... Especially since now that its no longer legally available thats the only way to get it...and runuo kinda needs it to run, being as it doesnt support KR.

The only rule I can find regarding this is using the forums to distribute the client file.. I did nothing of the sort, nor did i recommend anyone else to do so

Courageous

Wanderer
The only rule I can find regarding this is using the forums to distribute the client file.. I did nothing of the sort, nor did i recommend anyone else to do so

One can even get into an interesting ethical debate here... there is a very old school of thought that suggests that old things have the eventual purpose of becoming the property of the general public, and following along from that line of reasoning, "abandoned" software ought not be protected by copyright law. 'Course, that's not the way that it is, currently, but one is not necessarily sitting in a bad ethical position taking this particular point of view.

Anyway, I should hope TOD was kidding. If not, then well I'd like to chip in:

I DON'T OBEY EULAS

C//

Johabius

Knight
Anti-Basic;695509 said:
I download the old ML client from a torrent.... Especially since now that its no longer legally available thats the only way to get it...
Bullshit, there is still an official mirror at download.com

I could have sworn at one point there was a rule about discussing "pirated" works, but I was wrong...the only mention of "pirated" works is about using the forums to trade licensed software.

You bring up an interesting point.

While I understand that abandonware is still illegal to redistribute and there is no legal difference, it is nonetheless treated differently than warez and therefore deemed more socially acceptable.

Now, most singleplayer games that are deemed abandonware are several years old, and the publishers aren't even actively supporting or updating them.. they've been effectively retired by the publishers, and very few care if you redistribute it after that.

But this is an online game. It consists of two parts. Without the server, the client is useless and visa versa (not counting emulators, bear with me). The Server portion, or rather the parties in control of the server portion have stated that the client version in question will no longer be supported on their servers. So when that date comes, the client will not have any purpose for them.

I think that counts as Abandonware for an online game.

Johabius;695538 said:
Bullshit, there is still an official mirror at download.com

True, but how long will that be up? You yourself said: "Hurry and get yours before it's gone." So you yourself realize that it will be pulled before long.

Also, please change your quote to reflect my full sentence so that it doesn't look like I told someone to download it. I did not, and will not.

moonrune

Wanderer
Wait... A moment...

We know the process of making a server with many customs and tweaks, to look better in comparative of a OSI / EA server.

We have the some free clients, like Iris and Kyrros. They are good, but have some limitations in comparation of UO original client. If the development of free clients give files free of copyright...

Johabius

Knight
Anti-Basic;695539 said:
True, but how long will that be up? You yourself said: "Hurry and get yours before it's gone." So you yourself realize that it will be pulled before long.
No, I don't know any such thing. It's called sarcasm. I was making fun of the "everybody panic" attitude that the original poster seemed to take. And I'm not important enough that people only read the portions of my posts where I quote someone else, but if it will make you feel better, I'll change my quote.

Johabius;695551 said:
No, I don't know any such thing. It's called sarcasm. I was making fun of the "everybody panic" attitude that the original poster seemed to take. And I'm not important enough that people only ready the portions of my posts where I quote someone else, but if it will make you feel better, I'll change my quote.

Don't try and turn that into me insulting you or your post. I was just not wanting to be misunderstood. Due to sentence structure, the part you originally quoted "download the old ML client from a torrent.... Especially since now that its no longer legally available thats the only way to get it..." could be taken as a seperate sentence, one which looks like i was suggesting that the thread author commit copyright infringement, something I have been banned for doing before, and something i neither told him to do nor wish that he would do. Excuse me if I don't want my words to be taken wrongly.

moonrune;695546 said:
Wait... A moment...

We know the process of making a server with many customs and tweaks, to look better in comparative of a OSI / EA server.

We have the some free clients, like Iris and Kyrros. They are good, but have some limitations in comparation of UO original client. If the development of free clients give files free of copyright...

Both of those still require portions of the original client to work. Altho, if we could break away from it entirely, it would be ideal, both from a legal standpoint and, in the case of KUOC, a practical one being that they are made by the same people. But at the moment, both of those still require UO to run.

Courageous

Wanderer
Both of those still require portions of the original client to work. Altho, if we could break away from it entirely, it would be ideal, both from a legal standpoint and, in the case of KUOC, a practical one being that they are made by the same people. But at the moment, both of those still require UO to run.

I once took a look at what it would take to set up an automated software-assisted production pipeline for wearables for uo. You basically need some software that can take a wearable item, model it as if it were on a figure, render the item, but not the figure. You then need to do this automatically from all the stock client angles. As you've noticed, you can cheat and mirror left and right. This is just assuming away the actual problem of the models themselves, and just getting down to a software-controlled automated pipeline for getting all the correct view angles. It's possible, but quite a project.

C//