RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[UO] EAGames is closing the dowload centers

PappaSmurf

Knight
I'm going to comment on this from the standpoint of the original post.

EA is doing what is best for it business wise, they've announced UO:KR as being "Launched" or Live if you prefer. What they released was a client that they are currently scrambling to produce bug fixes, finished art, UI issue fixes, crash fixes, and hammering out general game play issues. If they don't try to force the use of this client then it's a 1+ year waste of time because in it's current state very few current players will embrace it. By removing the alternative download they are insuring and dedicating themselves to the current course. I think it's a total crock what they are doing but that's not my call nor do I agree with it. I'm still of the sentiment that they should drop the entire client back to a closed beta and continue testing and rounding it out until they actually have a quality product that can actually compete in to days MMO market. One thing we can say with an almost certain knowledge is UO will not embrace it's Emulation or Mod communities, they never have. Stratics at one point linked to the old UOX project, but that went bye bye as EA started dumping money on them and started using them as their "Official" forums. I swear if I had to $$$ to do it I'd buy the rights to UO and find people that actually seem to care where UO is going vs where they are told UO will go.

Courageous

Wanderer
btw once all the mirrors go down am i allowed to post it? its an exact copy so its not exacly infriging on any copyrights is it?

Yes. That is a copyright infringement. Copyright is what it sounds like: "the right to make a copy".

C//

Fixxxer

Sorceror
I just have a question, how many of us would it really effect if UO removes the downloads from all the sights, I have about 6 copies of ML and those will still be out in stores for awhile cause not that long ago I bought a copy of UO blackthorn something or another with the figure.
I stopped caring about what EA is doing and planning on doing with their client for a long time. There will still be copies of UO out there, I just bought an old copy of Blackthorns something or another in a store, many of the gaming stores sell copies of the game as well.

But Im just curious how would this really effect this community?

alambik

Sorceror
-> You have plenty, but the new player don't have
-> The noteriety of UO (not UOKR) will disappear because EAGame was the main advetiser.
-> The EAGame patch server may also disappear

Fixxxer

Sorceror
There are still legal ways you could get the game though its just not going to be sitting at your computer desk downloading a file.

Im not quite understand why this is an issue now, like everyone didnt know that as soon as EA made their new client that they wouldnt support their old one that they arent going to use anymore.

Courageous

Wanderer
But Im just curious how would this really effect this community?
Communities are constantly changing. People come, people go, a certain stable size results. Without UOKR support for RUNUO, and with no reliable legal source for a playable client, no new people can arrive in the community. I wouldn't sweat it, though: I'll be that we'll find UOKR support for RUNUO coming from somewhere. There are whole regions of the world where EULA's are not legal; distributing source code to make an emulator compatible with the UOKR client cannot be stopped from those jurisdictions using any legal mechanism. Possibly those changes can be redistributed here (in the US), also.

C//

Ortanith

Wanderer
running a server in the usa might be illegal however even if the source of the program is from another country as shown how Blizzard got the emulation software taken down with the court cases they have won
Its never gunna happen but I can always hope EA relaxes there Eula

Courageous

Wanderer
I don't really understand how that could be.

Suppose that Jim hasn't played UO and has never seen it's EULA. Fred play's UO, from a country in which EULA's aren't legal. Fred reverse engineer's UO, and gives Jim the changes. Jim then redistributes these changes. Jim was never a party to any EULA. What would the claim be? I don't get it.

What were the claims in the Blizzard case, against the site in question?

Were they EULA claims or copyright claims?

EULA claims are tricky. Copyright claims are slamdunky.

C//

Rob24

Sorceror
I know this is going to do this!!!!!!

That is why I got out of all the downloads of all that .... And I hve Build the old way of building this of UO I am a old school UO players when its first come out on DOS UO 7 and 8 that is the real UO game and so I have play tis server i have in away that is having its own starter run so players can login like they put in here CD and play....... I have 1 server out there now like this and now I see all the good times of EAgames put al you out of game play for free That is why I have stop puting my server on that stuff is all the time I do my own art work eagames put it back That is why I have not put that on my server 3 years a go so I am art working my server and new things all the tme so if you all want to know how to get your servers playing like when players put in CD and play

If you want to have your own server I mean YOUR own Then build your own starter in your server make a Button starter and link it with your IP then link it to your website Then get your players to download your starter button and it will link up in to there UO folder andthere you go :)

BUT..... its not that easy then it sound like I mean have you see the game out in the world for sale???

Nope So that mean you have to make copys of your CD for new players to come So tat mean you have to rename your game redo the art work and so on to ge players in to it 1th more So start makeing art work start making copys of th game and maybe if your good start making money when you sale your cd's or if your a nice guy/woman give it a way ...or here is something open your game store but that is my way of making the gmae stay open

well...i have to go now I am updating my server and i have to go to my day job as well

oh by the way my server is not up is I am rebuilding my website for this new login hehehe yes i where still have a open to te server like you all did but now I hve build the link for it but now all i need is to build the website :-P

see you all UO gamers

4RK3TYP3

Wanderer
The goal of EAGame is to earn new customer, that's normal.
So it's also normal to try to stop (slow down) the emulators expansion.
The UO old client will always have value as long as enough potential customer depend from this. Any player playing or willing to play on an emulated server is a potential customer. You should consider emulator as a competitor, whatever size it is representing.

To not support something like the old UO client (or something else...) can also be an investisment for the future (UOKR, other mmorpg...). Like every investment, this have a cost (and EAGame paid for...).

More in the interest of the stock holders because stock prices increases investor confidence and gets EA more money through that than through people buying copies of a 10 dollar game and monthly payment of 13 bucks (not sure what it's at now). Investors will sink 10s of thousands (sometimes hundreds to millions) in a company, individually, which is more valuable. I used to sink atleast 1k into rising electronics companies until I discovered real estate made more money from investments.

alambik

Sorceror
You are right.

UO is also more than just a product for us here. It's also a way to support and build some dreams we have about (role)playing together, without being restricted by what the initial provider wants.

But this, you will never be able to convince the stocks owners, that are propably not knowing what "UO" is :)

So let just make sure that's not cutting our dreams ;)

SiENcE

Sorceror
Years over years i talked about an own client for the Freeshard community.

No one from this big community (freeshard admins, users) helped the Iris1 and now the Iris2 project.

Iris has a working 2D and 3D renderer. Iris2 still uses the Art, Granny graphics from Uo. We have implemented a new terrainshader and reworked most (~9000 tiles) of the Art Tiles to 3D Models. This was a lot of work for only a few people.

Now everyone is screaming about loosing his loved game.

I don't understand this. It was enough time to help !

So, if someone wants to help (esp. we are searching skilled Artists 2D/3D) joins us ( http://iris2.de/ ) and help Iris2 to get independant from EAs uo client.

Iris2 is opensource as runuo. I think the frontend is also important for a mmorpg ;) .

regards

SiENcE^Iris2 Team

SiENcE;699959 said:
Years over years i talked about an own client for the Freeshard community.

All eleven of them?

As for the rest of your post, since iris depends on legacy uo to run, none of it makes sense in the context of this thread.

SiENcE

Sorceror
@Anti-Basic: Sorry but your post is ignorant and makes also no sense.

No, since the beginning of our open source client project "iris" (5-6years).

>>As for the rest of your post, since iris depends on legacy uo to run, none of it makes sense in the context of this thread.

yes...thats why i suggest to help us to create custom graphics!!!!! And we did a lot to create so much 3D art. Iris don't really need the legacy uo client. The only thing it really needs is the granny models and textures, but can also exchange them and create your own character models.

This demands, that the shard also uses custom map/statics/etc.

But i think you don't know the Iris project very well and it's worthless to explain it for you. I think you don't see the chances and only the deficits (much work).

I was talking about your age listed on the forum, einstein.

The existing graphics for legacy uo are fine, why should we change them?

and for your information I tried Iris 1 on more than one occasion, and have seen screens of Iris 2. Really Not impressed :/ Sorry, not to offend your work or anything, but I find it a little ugly. UO just isn't meant to be a 3D game.

SiENcE

Sorceror
We are coders, no graphic artists. Thats why we searching skilled ones.
Iris2 is a complete rewrite and uses ogre3d. Here you can see whats possible with this engine: OGRE 3D : Open source graphics engine

It's right, i also like 2d and thats why we offering also a 2d renderer. But its easier to make 3d than to recreate all 2d gfx. We enhancing Iris2 (free walking) and i know the deficits of uo in 3d (modern graphiccard). Its a process and i think we are going the right way.

I hope you try Iris2 sometime.

regards

Jeff

Lord
SiENcE;700027 said:
Iris2 is a complete rewrite and uses ogre3d. Here you can see whats possible with this engine: OGRE 3D : Open source graphics engine

It's right, i also like 2d and thats why we offering also a 2d renderer. But its easier to make 3d than to recreate all 2d gfx. We enhancing Iris2 (free walking) and i know the deficits of uo in 3d (modern graphiccard). Its a process and i think we are going the right way.

regards
Capability and Ability are to completely different things. With the current setup of UO, it does not have the Ability to feel good in 3d.

SiENcE;700027 said:

regards
You miss my meaning. Although I will admit that I find your graphics somewhat primitive, I have played and enjoyed games with worse. And even if they looked great, I still wouldn't use it. It's more a practicality reason than an aesthetic one. UO players are used to having an overhead view. They are used to having the advantage of seeing things almost a whole building's length behind them. Having it in 3D kinda ruins that. Would kill pvp as we know it.

Now however, with better graphics it would be fun to toy around with...especially world builders... so they can see their work in full 3D and be like "Wow, I made that." But I don't see it being used for normal gameplay with or without good graphics.

SiENcE

Sorceror
Good to see not all people agree with you. Over 24000 downloads (BerliOS Developer: Project statistics) of Iris1 and many Users using constantly our Iris2 updater tool (no other statistics yet) tells me a different point of view.

I'm not talking about, weather users play with Iris or not (they play) ... i'm just talking about helping the Iris project to finalise it.

As an addition: you can also fix the view in 3d for topdown/iso view ;-).

Mideon

Page
I'm quite interested in seeing Krioss' client and the Iris client in more finalized stages. If I had more time I'd certainly assist, but don't worry, many in the community support and applaud your efforts (both Krioss and the Iris Team)....it'll certainly be a sweet day when we can be rid of the EA client.....I for one look forward to the day I can add custom items that don't dissappear when a mobile sits lol.