RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[UO] EAGames is closing the dowload centers

SiENcE;700036 said:
Good to see not all people agree with you. Over 24000 downloads (BerliOS Developer: Project statistics) of Iris1 and many Users using constantly our Iris2 updater tool (no other statistics yet) tells me a different point of view.

I'm not talking about, weather users play with Iris or not (they play) ... i'm just talking about helping the Iris project to finalise it.

As an addition: you can also fix the view in 3d for topdown/iso view ;-).
Downloads dont equal users. I'm pretty sure if a major shard did a survey of clients used, Iris would be a single digit percentage.

and changing it to overhead really defeats the main purpose of having it 3D, unless the models are really sexy. And even then its mostly a waste. And if not, then itll look third dawnish. (worse than 2d, inotherwords)

Joeku

Lord
SiENcE;699959 said:
Years over years i talked about an own client for the Freeshard community.

No one from this big community (freeshard admins, users) helped the Iris1 and now the Iris2 project.

Iris has a working 2D and 3D renderer. Iris2 still uses the Art, Granny graphics from Uo. We have implemented a new terrainshader and reworked most (~9000 tiles) of the Art Tiles to 3D Models. This was a lot of work for only a few people.

Now everyone is screaming about loosing his loved game.

I don't understand this. It was enough time to help !

So, if someone wants to help (esp. we are searching skilled Artists 2D/3D) joins us ( Main Page - Iris ) and help Iris2 to get independant from EAs uo client.

Iris2 is opensource as runuo. I think the frontend is also important for a mmorpg ;) .

regards

SiENcE^Iris2 Team
Hey, shut the fuck up.

I offered and never even got a response.

GG.

alambik

Sorceror
I offered and never even got a response.
Same.

Iris is fun to see for sure, but actually the current UO client is really fine for me.

The goal of the post is just to make sure that you (we) plan to be able to provide a ppatched UO version to players if no official website will provide traditional UO anymore.

I really love the actual UO as it is: not too big compared to the heavy UOKR, almost free of bugs thanks to all the patches.

SiENcE

Sorceror
>>Downloads dont equal users
I know... ... ... Thats why i worte users constantly updating Iris2. Sorry no other statistics (we have no shard as you may know).

The main aim making it 3d is, that you only need one model, one animation and one texture. Not thousands of animated pictures. Did anyone created a Dwarf or real Elfes into UO over the years? No. But its easy todo in 3d.

@Joeku: >>Hey, shut the fuck up.
Sorry but why you are so aggressive?

>>I offered and never even got a response.
When i'm searching our Forum for your name, i can see lots of responses to your posts ( Iris2.de Forum Index // Central 2 Bugs... )! I try to answer most posts in our forum (as you can easily see).

Iris2 is oss and you can get the code, compile yourself, create art, implement this and then submit to us. Thats how an oss project works. All infos are on our wiki. I think thats enough. Some contributors show us work in our forum and then we get in touch with them.

>>The goal of the post is just to make sure that you (we) plan to be able to provide a ppatched UO version to players if no official website will provide traditional UO anymore.

I know. Thats ok, but then it's only the last sign of life for the legacy client. It's only a despaired attempt to increase the lifetime.

Also i doubt if its legal.

@alambik: try to contact me over icq or email thats better than forum posts.

quantomsadmn

Wanderer
Wow this really sucks. For smart people who know to backup their patched clients, its not a problem, but lot of people wont bother doing this and wont be able to get and patch if they format.

I wish best of luck to those working on Iris to make it a 100% standalone client to completely break off EA. This is what freeshards need, a client that can be freely redistributed. This will be good for free shards that want to do major custom work such as protocol changes and distribute their own version and their own patches.

I gave it a test run and it needs work, but some very good progress from last I tried it.

HellRazor

Knight
PappaSmurf;702327 said:
Yes I know this is gonna bump this back to the front page. But I found an authorized site that you can still download the ML Client from..
Downloads: Ultima Online: Mondain’s Legacy

That's not an authorized site, it's a fan site. This is an illegal download.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Markee Dragon is listed as a download source on EA's old UO download site. Very surprising and very un-EA like of them! :)

Utlima Online - Mondain's Legacy

PappaSmurf

Knight
HellRazor;702349 said:
That's not an authorized site, it's a fan site. This is an illegal download.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Markee Dragon is listed as a download source on EA's old UO download site. Very surprising and very un-EA like of them! :)

Utlima Online - Mondain's Legacy

Actually that site has hosted downloads before for UO...I don't know why but...they do.

HellRazor

Knight
Yeah, it threw me at first because my first thought was, "EA wouldn't allow a fan site to host their client!" But it looks like they sure did!

That's really unusual, considering they have a tighter relationship with Stratics (who hosts all the official forums) and Stratics doesn't host any files for them! Markee Dragon is a relatively small and lesser known site.

Admin God

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;695561 said:
And even then, youd have to have EVERYTHING custom, including music maps, art etc, not a single thing left from the original uo client.

The trouble is focusing enough people on the full development of a new client. This community could probably do it, if you found enough people with passion about the project. :cool:

WarAngel

Wanderer
Ryan;703134 said:
Open source clients empower the cheaters.

Couldn't that be slightly modified to read "Open source servers empower the exploiters"? Just because RunUO is open source doesn't mean thousands of people can exploit RunUO servers at their own free will. The community watches for things like that, and either points them out so someone else can fix them or fixes it themselves. I don't see why it would have to be a different situation just because it's a client.

SiENcE

Sorceror
@Ryan: Sorry, but this is nonsense. There are already so much uo cheat tools out there that an oss client don't make any difference. If someone want to cheat, he can do so...it depends on the serverside protections/rules/checks. The client don't make the rules.

AodhanW

Wanderer
Hello folks, just a new guy wanting to introduce himself to the group at large.

I just picked up UO recently with the distinct purpose of starting and scripting my own shard, which, as some of you know, I've started with the help of the fine folks here.

Now I hear that 'UO is shutting down the download server', and all I can say is..

What?

What does the topic of this thread have to do with our own servers? Will we continue to be able to run our servers without these? Or will it only prevent us from getting the newest updates? (Which I couldn't care less about, t'be quite frank).

Basically, what will be the actual effect of this?

I appreciate your responses to the new guy. :)

alambik

Sorceror
Welcome AodhanW!

You just need to ensure you can provide UO to your players, whatever the way. That does not change anything else, you don't need to worry.

AodhanW

Wanderer
alambik;703153 said:
Welcome AodhanW!

You just need to ensure you can provide UO to your players, whatever the way. That does not change anything else, you don't need to worry.

Beautious, thank you.

Bakanahito

Wanderer
UO clients

i've never heard of Iris 1 or 2 till several weeks ago... i believe it was version 2 i tried... it seems to support 3rd person view as well as first person... i think that 3D does have the advantage of having animations without many 2D frames... Only of course, if it ran as smoothly as the official client... The first person was kinda enjoyable, as i was able to see Britain in first person, after seeing it top view for many years. Very nifty idea... The 2D seemed to run horribly. Maybe it just needs to be optimized somehow... Either way, for not having alot of developers, it looks like a promising project, as it seems not to rely on UO's files to much... Maybe a completed version will come with it's own art package?

Don't hear of a lot of projects that will prepare us for when none of UO's official files (not just the client itself) are legally available... So no matter how bad Iris may seem to alot of people, at least it speaks out and says "eventually, we won't need to rely on EA anymore"... 2D support is very good with PlayUO, Iris is more in 3D... Either way, discussing this is good, but it seems that the reality of playability of emu UO shards for newer people will soon be out... So something -does- need to be done... And with these clients, yes, both are--in my opinion--positive actions... Remember that Iris is still pretty beta no mater how long it's been developed... it's finalized stage might be the worse ever, or it might be the -best- ever (time will tell)... Don't count your chickens before they hatch... Also, that baby horse that can't even stand up on it's own legs, might be the fastest racehorse of all time...

People could look at the Wright Brothers and see their fumbling attempts to human flight as stupid in their time... Anyone who's seen an airline plane now, hold them in high regard as geniuses...

First fruits are always shoddy and awkward... i could give more examples, but this post is getting to long as it is... Compatibility -and- Ability might be yet to come... Don't scoff yet... We'll see what happens... ... ...