RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[UO] EAGames is closing the dowload centers

SiENcE

Sorceror
Bakanahito: true words. i hope that people not only discussing about pro and cons of an free client but also helping, creating, drawing and coding for it.
We wont create an own Art.mul package. We have no ressources for this. Maybe someone initiats an own project. I think there are lots of uo-pixel sites out there. There is a lot of free Uo art.
Tiles from the abandon UOME project ( UO:Mittelerde Downloads ) maybe :).

Courageous

Wanderer
There's a lot of free art, but not nearly enough. Art is and always has been the long pole in the tent on a truly independent client.

C//

Bakanahito

Wanderer
Art.

SiENcE;703226 said:
Bakanahito: true words. i hope that people not only discussing about pro and cons of an free client but also helping, creating, drawing and coding for it.
We wont create an own Art.mul package. We have no ressources for this. Maybe someone initiats an own project. I think there are lots of uo-pixel sites out there. There is a lot of free Uo art.
Tiles from the abandon UOME project ( UO:Mittelerde Downloads ) maybe :).

Maybe not your own "Art.MUL" but perhase an art package of sorts later when EA's art just is no longer legally available... And it won't necessarily -have- to be made by your dev team... i mean heck... If i wasn't swamped by my own projects and some others with a nice fat real life to plop onto that, i'd help... But even then, my format'd be *.obj (Being a sorta common file type), and i dunno if you'd be able to convert that, as i know nothing of your all's format...

Either way though, Good Luck... The progress looks promising already. The art in it suffices for it's test runs, and some of the models are already really good... Art should be something considered more later... i realize it has to have a vain appeal, however, as not everyone has the heart of a developer, and don't know the steps, and priorities of each step, and won't even try a program till it "looks good"... (Not all are like that, i know :)) But even looks is a comfort to those making it as well... i just think it's good as is for now. performance is more important.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
I tried to not say it but I have to...

if you dont agree with my statement about Open Source client's not empowering cheaters you're wrong.... very wrong.

if any open source client ever got serious play we'd block it from our shards entirely because (even KUOC) they cause massive headaches from being hacked up to cheat.

end of story.

SiENcE

Sorceror
@Ryan: You can block/close accounts, but not clients. Esp. no oss clients.

I don't want to annoy you or anything to runuo.

siran

Sorceror
Ryan;704147 said:
I tried to not say it but I have to...

if you dont agree with my statement about Open Source client's not empowering cheaters you're wrong.... very wrong.

if any open source client ever got serious play we'd block it from our shards entirely because (even KUOC) they cause massive headaches from being hacked up to cheat.

end of story.

Knowing human nature, and observing the exploitation/cheating that occurs whenever even the slightest possibility is found, I know you are right.

The advantages of an open source client are also tremendous.

Seems like there would be some way to restrict what clients and/or versions are used. Maybe through some type of third party certificate? An exchange of encrypted algorithims utilizing a datetime stamp?

Courageous

Wanderer
Ryan;704147 said:
If any open source client ever got serious play we'd block it from our shards entirely because (even KUOC) they cause massive headaches from being hacked up to cheat.

I can believe this. My personal philosophy (and no doubt values) on this departs dramatically from your own. I regard UO as dead already; I even really regard the UO emu community as "dead," after a fashion. To me, the essential value in this community is in tinkering, playing with code, hanging out with a few friends, trying new coding projects (and for beginners, learning how to code by scripting), and so forth. The few top shards are all anomalies; motes in the wind that don't really change my opinion, even if one might regard them as successful.

I think I'm not alone in this opinion; generally the sentiment of the boards to those starting shards is to love ones own shard for the making of it, not for the attendance.

That's why an open source client doesn't bother me at all. It is actually impossible for that client to "destroy" any of the part of runuo that really matters. Mind you, as the owner of the toppest shard of them all, I can see how you would take exception to that.

Anyway, just a different perspective.

C//

HellRazor

Knight
While an open source client might make things easier (and I don't think that it necessarily does), there isn't anything that can be done by examining/modifying client source that can't be done through other methods. Anyone who knows enough to modify the client to cheat will probably have the knowledge to code up a third party utility that would do the same thing as a modified client.

I think the Iris client is a good example of how these fears of widespread abuse are groundless. Here is a functional open source client that has been around for years in 2 separate versions. There isn't widespread cheating using custom Iris clients that I know of. The Krrios client had some problems with people abusing the plugin features, but I believe this is a relatively small number of the overall player population. And since the Krrios client is closed source, no one can create a custom solution to prevent it.

Close sourcing a client can only stunt its development in my opinion, while also stunting the ability of servers to BLOCK cheats through requiring the use of "custom flavors" that the server can be coded to check against. A good open sourced client would allow shards to provide their own checks and balances rather than the original client devs being stuck trying to constantly block cheaters. Open source it, I say, and shift the responsibility for this over to shard owners. The vast majority of people won't use a custom client anyways unless they are required to (and they can only be required to if there is custom coding in both the client and the server).

Cheaters will always find a way to cheat. But the server can be coded to find most of the cheaters because the methods they use won't be able to be achieved under normal circumstances.

Joeku

Lord
Courageous;706091 said:
I can believe this. My personal philosophy (and no doubt values) on this departs dramatically from your own. I regard UO as dead already; I even really regard the UO emu community as "dead," after a fashion. To me, the essential value in this community is in tinkering, playing with code, hanging out with a few friends, trying new coding projects (and for beginners, learning how to code by scripting), and so forth. The few top shards are all anomalies; motes in the wind that don't really change my opinion, even if one might regard them as successful.

I think I'm not alone in this opinion; generally the sentiment of the boards to those starting shards is to love ones own shard for the making of it, not for the attendance.

That's why an open source client doesn't bother me at all. It is actually impossible for that client to "destroy" any of the part of runuo that really matters. Mind you, as the owner of the toppest shard of them all, I can see how you would take exception to that.

Anyway, just a different perspective.

C//
QFT ...

Closing the downloads for the client has nothing to do with not being able to patch your existing installation to the most recent changes.

All this means is that they are no longer handing out a FREE installation so if you want UO pay for it pirate it or already own it easy huh. I am surprised they were nice enough to offer the client for download as long as they did and for free. Now things will simply go back to exactly how they were before they offered the game as a free download. Go spend 19.99 at wal-mart...

P.S. I do not condone pirating a copy of the game its cheap go spend the 20 bucks!

HellRazor

Knight
Midnightdragon;707488 said:
Closing the downloads for the client has nothing to do with not being able to patch your existing installation to the most recent changes.

All this means is that they are no longer handing out a FREE installation so if you want UO pay for it pirate it or already own it easy huh. I am surprised they were nice enough to offer the client for download as long as they did and for free. Now things will simply go back to exactly how they were before they offered the game as a free download. Go spend 19.99 at wal-mart...

P.S. I do not condone pirating a copy of the game its cheap go spend the 20 bucks!

Not so surprising really when you consider that they get their *real* money from subscriptions. So it's really a good way to hook new players by providing the client for free along with a free trial period. You get a lot of subscribers that wouldn't normally pluck down the $20 that way. It's becoming a pretty standard practice these days for MMO games to do this, or to offer the full client for some cheap price like $1.99 in stores like CompUSA.

With UO, typically EA will first put out a retail release, than a few months later offer the client for free download with a free trial. That way they reap some retail sales and once that well runs dry, they offer it up for free to get new subscribers that way.

HellRazor

Knight
It looks like they aren't even waiting for a retail release on this one.

Obviously part of their overall strategy to replace the 2D client with the KR client is to replace all the 2D trial versions with the KR client.

EA has announced that the Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn expansion pack is now available as a free download, and as a 14 day free trial.

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. - August 27, 2007 - Electronic Arts Inc (NASDAQ: ERTS), the world's leading interactive entertainment company, today announced that Ultima Online(TM): Kingdom Reborn, the latest expansion to Ultima Online, is now available for free download at UO.com and IGN's popular game download site FilePlanet. Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn introduces a stunning graphic update, all-new user interface and updated new player experience to Ultima Online, the MMO that ushered in the modern MMO era. Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn is available for free to all players at:

UO.com Ultima Online™: Kingdom Reborn

FilePlanet

For newcomers to Ultima Online, a free 14-day trial of Kingdom Reborn is now available for download at: Ultima Online™: Kingdom Reborn

With Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn, the legendary kingdom has been redrawn, reengineered and rebuilt for the next decade of players seeking an epic, fantasy MMO experience. The revamped new player content welcomes those who have never adventured through the celebrated lands of Ultima Online. Additionally, enhanced visuals and brand-new user interface present the game in a whole new light to veteran players.

"As the tenth anniversary of Ultima Online's launch approaches, Kingdom Reborn introduces an entirely new experience while preserving the spirit of the classic MMO," said Mark Jacobs, VP and General Manager of EA Mythic. "Kingdom Reborn represents EA's ongoing commitment to MMOs and Ultima Online's dedicated and loyal community, some of whom have been playing the game since its launch almost ten years ago."

To learn more about Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn, visit www.uo.com/kingdomreborn. This game is rated "T" (Teen) by the ESRB.