RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upcoming changes... RunUO and UOGamers

Pick our next location

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
It's been quite a while since you've heard from me, but it's time for an update... and some changes!

First and foremost - Thank you to all of you who continue to support our gaming community. I realize it's past it's ten minutes of fame but those of you who love it are what keep it running ;)

Now, with that out of the way we're going to be making some pretty large scale changes to the RunUO and UOGamers world. As of the end of this month we will be decommissioning the bulk of our Cincinnati based Datacenter. Over the past few months I've been slowly migrating a lot of our websites or projects we host over to the Rackspace Cloud. RunUO.com and the rest of it's affiliate sites have yet to move but will some time before the end of this month.

That leaves us with the game servers... there has been a lot of debate about where we put them and how we handle them going forward but I figured we could actually let you as the players offer us some feedback. Through the years we've hosted the game servers and web servers at various different places... Washington DC, Texas (Houston), Texas (Dallas), Seattle and Cincinnati.

Given all of these different places we've typically gotten the best overall response from our users by being in Texas. That said I'm going to offer up a few IP's of places we're considering and let you, our users make the choice! I feel like putting this control back in your hands is the best choice given your support for our community! The choices are:

Texas: 64.39.8.163
Dallas: 74.86.116.210
Houston: 173.193.70.98
San Jose: 50.23.64.58
Washington DC: 208.43.102.250
Seattle: 67.228.112.250

Vote in the poll to express your choice... this will allow us to better understand what works for you.

One thing to keep in mind - it's not *just* about your ping latency... it's also about how many hops it takes, how much packet loss you experience and all of those other things. If you don't understand this or don't know what it means don't bother worrying about it... just ping it and make a vote.

Thank you all for your continued support!

Thanks,
Ryan

You need to show the west coast some love. It' been in Texas and East Coast over 6 years (If I recall Correctly). That was actually my number 1 complaint about the server.

The order I find the best ping and the order I would want the server placed :)

Seattle: 15
San Jose: 30
Dallas: 54
Texas: 55
Houston: 64 <-- Some reason this is a shittier server than the other two Texas servers
Washington DC: 86 <-- Peak time east coast is usually 100+ for me.

im not greedy voted dallas but i pinged the following:

Texas: 64.39.8.163 102ms
Dallas: 74.86.116.210 64ms
Houston: 173.193.70.98 73ms
San Jose: 50.23.64.58 103ms
Washington DC: 208.43.102.250 40ms
Seattle: 67.228.112.250 108ms

To be fair to all people it should be one of the texas bases locations. putting it on either the east or west coast would just be unfair or shit to one side or the other. im aware we have a foreign playerbase as well. id like to hear from them but im guessing they are all generally the same.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
For our foreign player base it likely would be best to be on the coasts...

mahoney

Sorceror
Ok i went to Start menu, then i search for RUN, then i typed in cmd
and the black cmd.exe came up.... c...and when i put the ip address and hit enter its says it does not reconize it. what am i doing wrong?

KoNNaN

Knight
I get 20s from DC and 60-80 from the others.

I really hope you people saying washington mean dc and not seattle, washington.

DirtyBird[aS]

Sorceror
Why is the Chi Not a choice

Texas is a terrible idea. I hate texas. I don't wanna play on a game server in texas it will be like im there. Jk Jk

kilo-hybrid

Sorceror
anything but washington dc. if your on the west coast you get the worst ping. out of all the options and thats about half the people on the server go with texas cause its central fair for all. i voted san jose because you have never put a server on the west coast and its about fucking time we had some good ping

Status
Not open for further replies.