RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading beta versions etc.

danta

Wanderer
Upgrading beta versions etc.

Hi there!

I've been into the whole uo emulation scene for a while now and I'm looking into this emulator at the momment. I know this question has probably been asked before, but is it hard to keep upgrading each runuo beta release as it comes out? WHen you upgrade, does it change alot of things around? I say this because I've worked with the pol emulator and with each new release of that you have to convert alot of the scripts for them to work again. Is this the case with runuo?

Apart from that you guys are awesome!!!! I've never seen a team so dedicated to uo emulation!! Keep up the good work.

Regards.

Phantom

Knight
C# script don't really change, variables change and variables are added but the language cannot change.

Most of the time its simple a matter of copy and paste. Sometimes if you have a custom item, that say was made 5 beta ago before the new damge types were in you have to add them

danta

Wanderer
Hang on, but with each beta release doesnt it contain ALL the scripts inside it? So if you update then you might remove your custom scripts? Like there are no 'upgrades' for it are there? Its just the whole thing.

Phantom

Knight
danta said:
Hang on, but with each beta release doesnt it contain ALL the scripts inside it? So if you update then you might remove your custom scripts? Like there are no 'upgrades' for it are there? Its just the whole thing.

Uh?

Every release comes with all the classes, every release is a stand-alone release.

Lord Sidius

Wanderer
Re: And..

Veldrin said:
yes if you use custom scripts you have to re-add them into your updated version.

as well as possibility of taking out some stuff or just modifying them to work with the new beta

M

MaxHammer

danta said:
Veldrin said:
yes if you use custom scripts you have to re-add them into your updated version.
Rename any costom and/or edited scripts with a prefix ie... "cows.cs" to "max_cows.cs" --> Noticed that RunUO does not care what the file is named, just cares about the name IN the file.

Lord Sidius said:
as well as possibility of taking out some stuff or just modifying them to work with the new beta

Rename the orignal's Extention, to not have the conflict, and also you can refer back to them if your custom needs tweeked due to update. Been renaming like "cows.cs" to "cows.##[a]", where ## = version and a = sub.
{Don't forget to delete some of the older versions once in awhile, HardDrive gets full fast. ;) :D Thanks to this great DEV TEAM for the many updates!! :D Keep them coming.}

Now if I may trade you a (kind of) solution for a quesstion. From the forums I see the answer to "Where do I put these scripts?", is in the SCRIPTS folder. Does that mean one could make a new folder inside of SCRIPTS to place all custom scripts into, for ease of change over at update?

Been here hanging out for very short time. But have seen 7 ver changes. And being new at this, it was jaw drop time when I updated and found my first "monkey with this thing" gone due to overwrite. {Learn from it right}

Go RunUO

David

Moderate
That is exactly what works best for me. I have a directory under Scripts called Custom, with subdirectories under that. All new or modified scripts go in there. Any distribution scripts that have been replaced by a script in Custom get renamed with a .org extension and left in place.

When I update Beta's I copy over the Save and the Scripts\Custom folders and rename a few files. Takes 3 minutes.

The only thing you need to be careful about is missing out on something in the new versions of the distribution scripts. Especally considering how fast the Dev team moves. Some times changes to the disrto will make your custom scripts unnecessary, less often a change will happen that will impact (break) Custom scripts. Usually it is easy to fix and always it is documented in the change log.