RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

User Created Games

Duksta

Wanderer
User Created Games

I was thinking about Salos a while ago and was thinking that it'd be great if Salos supported user created games as I'm sure there are loads of aspiring game developers out there such as myself that would love to show off their hard work.

Obviously not everything should be allowed to be published on Salos as their should be a certain level of quality required. However, if someone were to make an addictive little game that is destined to indefinately remain on their hard drive then Salos would be a great way to keep people entertained and allow the developer to receive some constructive feedback also which would also help them improve their programming skills. Also perhaps even single player games can be added that incorporate an online ranking system.

I'm not entirely sure on how Salos works but I've taken a look at how it's laid out and it seems that Salos seperates everything in modules so perhaps someone could comment on how possible this is. Though ofcourse it's Krios's decision as it is his work and only he should have it.

Hello,

Your idea has been proposed before; unfortunately, I don't see that happening any time soon.

Duksta said:
I'm not entirely sure on how Salos works but I've taken a look at how it's laid out and it seems that Salos seperates everything in modules so perhaps someone could comment on how possible this is.
It's not quite as you say; though Sallos does use separate modules for things such as file management and networking, the game code is still inside one single module. Observe:

The following structure has been created to faciliate update direct updating of the code base; the launcher (Sallos.exe) is a simple application that extracts and loads the actual Sallos executable from the "shell" archive, and runs it. Since the module is loaded directly into memory, it is not accociated with any file on disk, and the main module can be freely updated.

Some time in June 2005, Krrios stated that he began work on something called Samael. It is believed to be some technology allowing to break up Sallos into independent modules (i.e. each module for a game, etc.). However, he seemed to stop working on it - whenever asked, he replied that it's a Work in Progress.

This is supposedly how the Sallos structure would look like after Samael has been finished:

Moreover, there's the fact that up to this point, Krrios wrote Sallos almost entirely by himself. He takes pride in handling such a large project on his own (no sarcasm intended), and isn't willing to include other developers into the project (no matter how experienced or how good their knowledge of the Sallos internals already is). It has been seen that even if he is presented with working Sallos code for some new feature, he would rather re-code the same feature from scratch rather than simply copy over the code.

Also, developing official Sallos modules / add-ons / etc. would require at least a part of the source code, and Krrios has stated that he is not planning on divulging any part of Sallos code to the public any time soon. Infact, he is planning on obfuscating the code, which would make it next to impossible to study or modify it.