RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Variable Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irian

Page
Variable Names

Just a suggestion for the devs, because it requires a Core change (perhaps i'll post it later, when it works):

Names could be variable, depending on the viewer. This could be used for "Introduction"-scripts, but perhaps also for same racial features, etc. Because some places where the name is shown (e.g. Status, Talking and SecureTrade) this would need a core change:

I would suggest a method in Mobile.cs...

Code:
public virtual string GetName(Mobile to) { return Name; }

...which would be used instead of "Name", everywhere where another mobile is involved. This would allow to modify the PlayerMobile.cs (by overriding this method) without having to mess around with the core.

Just a suggestion, perhaps I'm also wrong here and it would be possible to do that much more easily :)

Courageous

Wanderer
There's a lot of things in the core that ought to have been virtual, parameterized, or otherwize overridable in various ways. The core developers don't really feel our pain, though. They have an incremental, changing copy of the source that everyone else has to live with. IOW, they don't need to make changes of this sort on request, because if they need them for their own purposes, they get them. If I had more time on my hands, I'd suggest a "RunUO, Community Edition" be hosted here, using an open source development methodology of some sort, with the primary purpose of implementing, first and foremost, changes to the core that make it so that people don't have to make changes to the core.

C//

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Courageous said:
There's a lot of things in the core that ought to have been virtual, parameterized, or otherwize overridable in various ways. The core developers don't really feel our pain, though. They have an incremental, changing copy of the source that everyone else has to live with. IOW, they don't need to make changes of this sort on request, because if they need them for their own purposes, they get them. If I had more time on my hands, I'd suggest a "RunUO, Community Edition" be hosted here, using an open source development methodology of some sort, with the primary purpose of implementing, first and foremost, changes to the core that make it so that people don't have to make changes to the core.

C//

Talk is cheap, so put your code where you fingers are.

I am sure Ryan and company would welcome this, thats why they decided to make RunUO open-source.

If people that I respect started something like this, I am sure other people that I respect would also follow, which would mean alot of people I respect would be working together.

Funny thing about people I respect, they are the people that give back most to the community, strange yes?

Courageous

Wanderer

I'm considering it. Post 2.0, we'll see what we see. It's a very big commitment, though. It's not so much the writing of code and extensions, but the constant winmerge and deconfliction duties, that usually have to be performed centrally, that can become a real problem. It's not exciting work, either. This is probably why open source efforts only really work out, after this fashion, on important things that people can dedicate their lives to. I.e., Linux, Python, Perl, Apache, and so forth.

C//

p.s., has anyone ever told you that you have a certain, ah, way with words?

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Courageous said:

I'm considering it. Post 2.0, we'll see what we see. It's a very big commitment, though. It's not so much the writing of code and extensions, but the constant winmerge and deconfliction duties, that usually have to be performed centrally, that can become a real problem. It's not exciting work, either. This is probably why open source efforts only really work out, after this fashion, on important things that people can dedicate their lives to. I.e., Linux, Python, Perl, Apache, and so forth.

C//

p.s., has anyone ever told you that you have a certain, ah, way with words?

This a good thing people would say, or something they would say a minute before getting banned?

Dian

Sorceror
Phantom said:
Funny thing about people I respect, they are the people that give back most to the community, strange yes?

I doubt that.. I believe the only person you respect are the ones that you have to be nice to, in order to get somthing from them. Otherwise, I have seen nothing more than rude and cold statements and replies out of you to everyone else over the last few years. and yes, I have been here as long as you have.

Courageous

Wanderer
This a good thing people would say, or something they would say a minute before getting banned?

It was my way of saying that I know that you didn't mean anything negative by it at all, but also suggesting that you add the sentence and others like it to the list of ones you have in your head that may offend various and sundry. You know, "hint, hint".

Anyway, back on the subject, I believe that there's just enough people around and willing to work on a CE, although it would be a deal-breaker for me personally if it had to be hosted on some different web site. Community fracturing wouldn't help anyone.

C//

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Dian said:
I doubt that.. I believe the only person you respect are the ones that you have to be nice to, in order to get somthing from them. Otherwise, I have seen nothing more than rude and cold statements and replies out of you to everyone else over the last few years. and yes, I have been here as long as you have.

I don't have to be nice to anyone.

I want nothing from this community, there is nothing anyone here can give me, that would change that.

I have made cold statements, so what, so has everyone else. I have been rude to the my share of people, so what, so has everyone else.

I have done nothing that anyone here that is active, and has their own mind, has not done before.

I might just do it more because I post alot more, but whats your point?

Since when was showing support for a project that I feel would be benefit the community a bad thing?

You also miss quoted somebody, thats very rude....

Courageous

Wanderer
I doubt that.. I believe the only person you respect are the ones that you have to be nice to, in order to get somthing from them.

This wasn't necessary. Mr. S's brusk comment did not warrant a trip into personal denegration.

Perhaps Mr. S. meant "talk is cheap, so put your code where your fingers are" in a friendly way. I think higher than 50% of all readers would interpret it otherwise, so he could stand learning how to use slightly different words, and perhaps a few more emoticons. But personal bashing? Not needed here.

C//

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Courageous said:
I doubt that.. I believe the only person you respect are the ones that you have to be nice to, in order to get somthing from them.

This wasn't necessary. Mr. S's brusk comment did not warrant a trip into personal denegration.

Perhaps Mr. S. meant "talk is cheap, so put your code where your fingers are" in a friendly way. I think higher than 50% of all readers would interpret it otherwise, so he could stand learning how to use slightly different words, and perhaps a few more emoticons. But personal bashing? Not needed here.

C//

I did mean it in a friendly way, I see all to often people talking about doing something, and it never gets done.

I have been guility of doing that, but only because of personal events in my life, not because I didn't want to.

Any event, if its a matter of the fact I need to "explain" what I am saying, I am sorry but that will never happen.

If you cannot read my words, take them for exactly that, and respond to them then I am not going to explain anything to you.

Against the wishes of my own judgement, I want to make it clear, that I mean nothing hostile with those words. If read into what I say to much, you will always come up with something hostile, even if thats not what my words say.

This is how I work, accept it or don't, but don't make it personal.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
If you cannot read my words, take them for exactly that, and respond to them then I am not going to explain anything to you.

Thats what I meant about not being hostile, just wanted to make myself clear, incase somebody read into something that doesn't exist ( I am being hostile by saying that ).

If your going to quote me, at least quote the right username people, not talking to you Courageous just the people that continue to call me Phantom.

Status
Not open for further replies.