RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We need a foreign language support

Kain_Omen

Wanderer
We need a foreign language support

Well, many users are from different country...In my case i am from belgium à little country just north of France. In my country we speak french...
I know how to speak eng but it will be excellent to create a support language file, all sentence etc. could be modified in one or some cs files.
if dev team create a such support language module, i could translate all the terms in french!

So if you need help to do that, ask me ;)

Phantom

Knight
Kain_Omen said:
Well, many users are from different country...In my case i am from belgium à little country just north of France. In my country we speak french...
I know how to speak eng but it will be excellent to create a support language file, all sentence etc. could be modified in one or some cs files.
if dev team create a such support language module, i could translate all the terms in french!

So if you need help to do that, ask me ;)

This already exists its called the cliloc file...

Kamron

Knight
The problem is that if you want a French verison of UO, you actually have to BUY it... or find someone who did buy it... :\

You cannot download a french version from EA obviously. There is a way to force a client to use a different language file, although that is not the purpose of RunUO, nor does that belong on these forums.

Exer

Sorceror
Actually, there are some custom sentences in the distros so I supposed he was refering to these... It'd be a nice project, but good luck on finding someone willing to do it..

Phantom

Knight
Exer said:
Actually, there are some custom sentences in the distros so I supposed he was refering to these... It'd be a nice project, but good luck on finding someone willing to do it..

The amount of those sentences, are about 1% of the messages, everything else is handled by the client's localized messages.

Kain_Omen

Wanderer
Well i know most of the static message are already in the client files. But i was speaking of the language used in quest script, etc.
I have an exemple, when you use the french mode in your client, each object have the good name in french but there are some data untraslated such as the skill name, quest who are in englich etc. Here is the center of the problem.
So for these untranslated message i guess a foreigner language support could be usefull. Like in php, we could try to create some reference text so in one or more cs file we could translate all sentence.
I know that this is not the most important thing to do for the moment but support foreign language could spread a little more the RUNUO community.
Many player prefer play in their natural language...and that's normal.
I was thinking about another problem, this is good to translate these sentence in the main language of a server but, for multilanguage server it could be usefull to scan for each client what is the language used, so translation could be dynamic.
if someone can help me to create a such system, please email me, i am a developper.

Thanks for all reply!

Phantom

Knight
The first thing you should do is, find out if you can check the client's lanuage from a script, if you cannot the everything else is mute.

Phenos

Wanderer
Quests already use localized messages, so the text is in fact contained in the cliloc files of the client.
The problem is that the translations provided by OSI are not fully complete, and when some translation is missing the English version is automatically used.
There are a few cliloc editors around that can allow you to complete the translation yourself if you want.

For the messages stored server side you might use the Mobile.Language property to choose the appropriate version to send to the client.

P.S.: I think we all know where Belgium is, no need to specify that ;)