RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Webbased Ultima Online !!!

The_Illusion

Sorceror
Webbased Ultima Online !!!

I have been thinking about this for a while, why is there not a web based version of UO? Wouldn't it be great to go to a servers website, click a [Play Now] button and be able to play UO right there in the web browser, no need to mess with razor connections or playUO, and best of all.... I could play at work. The games old enough that it's not graphic intensive at all, servers are good enough that they could run this I think.

Thoughts?

David

Moderate
Yes, but you would eliminate the client code, and the graphics and animations would be delivered on demand--not all at once. I think it should be doable.

Jeff

Lord
No way is this doable. There is to much data pushed though in order for this to work. I've had many discussions with quite a few people, the initial load for even the first frame to render is roughly 80mb... you really want to wait for that each and every time you play?

Rabban

Sorceror
Jeff;814152 said:
the initial load for even the first frame to render is roughly 80mb...

I'm assuming that those estimates use UO's actual graphics. Wouldn't less "nice" graphics ease this? I mean if you're going to design and implement the game in web form, why not make your own crappy graphics (focus on efficiency but still make it playable). This would also help offset any copywrite infringement.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Jeff;814152 said:
No way is this doable. There is to much data pushed though in order for this to work. I've had many discussions with quite a few people, the initial load for even the first frame to render is roughly 80mb... you really want to wait for that each and every time you play?

I'm sure it *could* be done ;)

Very few things are impossible :)

Jeff

Lord
Ryan;814159 said:
I'm sure it *could* be done ;)

Very few things are impossible :)

I meant with the current UO graphics, I highly doubt its doable. If someone spent the time to create new graphics and well, basically a whole new game that just so happened to talk with RunUO, then ya, quite doable.

Smjert

Sorceror
I think it could be done in flash.
Check Quake live for instance ^^ (even if i think that the amount of packets is less than Ultima online but...).

ashftw

Sorceror
Maybe in a few years when bandwidth and speeds are less of an issue. Ive seen other Ultima games on the web - obviously these are tiny in comparison. Anyway I reckon everything will be online in the future :) THIN CLIENT FTL :(

Peace.

ashftw

EDIT: Sorry didn't mean to go post digging.

Vorspire

Knight
I know that with my WebServerLite embedded into RunUO, it cna easily serve any graphics to an HTTP request.. Infact, It does it already! But serisouly, your single game-window at 800x600 can hold up to 3,000 items (citation needed), so taking one step alone will send just as many HTTP requests, and that's without loading your character, it's equipment and others all around you.

I was working on a way to make UO portable, but as Jeff says, the data transfer amount and loading times just make it completely impossible, even with extreme compression techniques...

Besides that, C-Sharps Graphics engine is slow as hell, especially when building a gump pixel-by-pixel.

You can check it out anyway though.