RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Programs To Have?

fuzzydice

Wanderer
Hello Everyone, I am glad to be a part of this community. I have worked on sphere, but this is my first attempt at runuo. After doing some reading I see that there are MANY tools that are used and I found it a bit overwhelming not knowing which tools I needed and which I didnt. I would like to put together a comprehensive list of exactly what tools are needed to customize your shard. I think that would make a great sticky and everyone new to runuo would appreciate it. Please post the tools you find nessasary and what they do and I will add them to the list. Thank you!

GM Tools
Pandoras Box 2
http://arya.altervista.org/

Pandoras Box 3
http://code.google.com/p/pandorasbox3/downloads/detail?name=PandorasBox3.0.0.5.zip

MAPPING SOFTWARE EXPLAINED
by Safera 02/09/2013

If one were to start from scratch making their own maps, they would first create a .BMP of their map in Photoshop, GIMP (or some other graphics program). They would then take their BMP, using a BMP2MUL program to create their map.mul, statics.mul & staidx.mul files from that newly created bitmap.

The following programs are BMP2MUL Editors (which allow you to convert a bitmap drawing of a map, into an Ultima map).

BMP2MUL Editors (in order of perceived popularity):

• UOLandscaper by DKnight
    • All later versions are said to be based off of 1.1
    • DKnight is working on a new version (01/13)
    • Uses 2 bmps: 1 for terrain and 1 for altitude
  • DragonMod by Ryandor
    • (while 11 is the latest, 9 is said to be the least buggy & 10 is warned against)
    • DragonMod uses 1 bmp to create maps.
    • DragonSP (Dragonsp.exe) creates your staidx0.mul and statics0.mul files.
    • Cons: Dragon cannot handle 3 way transitions
  • MapGenerator2by Punt
  • UOTC by UODev.de
    • Command-line Bitmap-to-MUL program.
    • Heavily touted by Eriminator at UO-Pixel.de.
    • Cons: Maps created in UOTC are not compatible with CentrED; they have to be converted first.
      • Support: UODev.de (still supported, but site is in German)
* I have found a great toutorial on map creation on www.ryador.com
http://www.ryandor.com/files/makingmaps.11.pdf

Safera

Page
As per our discussion inbox, here is what I have so far (I am adding to it, but it takes time to research each and find newest links):

MAPPING SOFTWARE EXPLAINED
by Safera 02/09/2013

If one were to start from scratch making their own maps, they would first create a .BMP of their map in Photoshop, GIMP (or some other graphics program). They would then take their BMP, using a BMP2MUL program to create their map.mul, statics.mul & staidx.mul files from that newly created bitmap.

The following programs are BMP2MUL Editors (which allow you to convert a bitmap drawing of a map, into an Ultima map).

BMP2MUL Editors (in order of perceived popularity):

• UOLandscaper by DKnight
    • All later versions are said to be based off of 1.1
    • DKnight is working on a new version (01/13)
  • DragonMod by Ryandor
    • (while 11 is the latest, 9 is said to be the least buggy & 10 is warned against)
    • DragonMod uses 1 bmp to create maps.
    • DragonSP (Dragonsp.exe) creates your staidx0.mul and statics0.mul files.
    • Cons: Dragon cannot handle 3 way transitions
  • MapGenerator2 by Punt
  • UOTC by UODev.de
    • Command-line Bitmap-to-MUL program.
    • Heavily touted by Eriminator at UO-Pixel.de.
    • Cons: Maps created in UOTC are not compatible with CentrED; they have to be converted first.
      • Support: UODev.de (still supported, but site is in German)

The next step in the process would be to open your newly created maps (mapx.mul) in a map editing program to fine-tune any errors, statics, or landtiles that need to be tweaked. The following programs are used to make map tweaks tile by tile in a grid-like format. These programs are not, generally, used for creating new maps, rather hand-editing pre-made maps. That's not saying that you CAN'T do it, it's just not recommended as it would be too time-consuming.

Step 2 CentrED, etc. coming soon....

(anyone who wants to add to or make editions to this, please do)

fuzzydice

Wanderer
Thank you very much for your contrabution Safera. I believe this will be an invaluable contrabution to the new players forum.

I would like to take this time to welcome all of those who would like to contribute to this guide. Thank You All!

Vaul

Traveler
Some awesome info. Have to look around to see if theres any videos to maybe accompany as a how-to.

Safera

Page
Sometimes Eri (uo-pixel.de) does Tut vids....I'll see if I can find some links....

...and I'm back from a party, so nothing tonight. Too much alcohol. Lolz.

eriminator

Sorceror
i have done only one video to show how uotc work.

uotc is a great tool. the bmp for z based on grey scaled and you can do 1-z-lvl steps from -127 to +128. but it needs some skills in a graphic-programm