RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Client and version of RunUo should I use?

Archaaz

Sorceror
Greetings. I have been working on a shard on and off for a couple of years. I started with POL, then made a tentative post here some time ago, but was overwhelmed by C#. I finally settled on Sphere, but have recently decided to return to RunUo and give it another try. Bear in mind that I am not a programmer, though I have learned a bit about scripting in general by working with POL and Sphere, and wish to further my knowledge.

I have decided to start small and build. My first goal (and one that I have not quite been able to actualize yet) is to establish a stable, fully functional, fully spawned server (not for live use yet). Before I download the latest version of RunUo and the Client, I want to make sure that this is the best choice for my intended project.

First of all, the focus is on RP and immersion (and probably voluntary PvP. I have not decided yet, but whatever the case, PvP will play a relatively small role).

Secondly, I want to create a look and feel reminiscent of old school UO. Somewhere between Pre T2A and UO:R. With that said, the overall, old school aesthetic is more important than recreating the authenticity and particulars of a certain era. I would like to spawn the world along these lines (doors, decorations, signs, mobiles, etc.). There is very little I wish to use after UO:R, though I would eventually like to use certain skills, or modified versions of those skills from other eras, and also wish to have full access to all 57 skill slots, as well as a few items and artwork from later eras. I do not want elves or gargoyles. ninjas and samurai, or any items related to them.

Thirdly, I will be using a slightly modified version of map0, which I created with CentrEd. I only wish to allow access to one facet using this map, using the Felucca rule set. I likewise only wish to allow access to areas from the Pre T2A era (though I may use the Lost Lands at some point). I modified certain areas, such as New Magincia, considerably, and am looking for a spawner that will easily generate an initial spawn, but will then allow edits to that spawn, and also allow it to be saved in a file which can be easily reinstated in the event of a server crash, rather than require that the entire process be redone from scratch each time. I also like the NPC dialog system in XML, and I am reading some of the considerable XML documentation.

Given these initial criteria:

1. Is it best to download version 2.3, or should I opt for an older build?

2. Does it matter whether or not I use the newest UO Client, or should I opt for an older version?

4. How much is generated out of the box? Doors? Signs? Or is the world entirely blank until a spawner is used?

3. Which Spawner do you recommend? I have looked at both Nerun's Distro and XMLspawner. I am looking for something fairly simple and straightforward, but that can also be customized, and of course something that can create spawns for certain eras, or at least spawns that are easily modified. I believe Nerun's has a Pre T2A spawn. Less sure about XML.

I have other criteria, but I thought I would start with this first. This is far too long already, so please let me know if something needs clarification. Thanks in advance for any help.

Archaaz

Sorceror
Ok, I searched a bit on the forum and finally just bit the bullet and DL'ed RunUo 2.3 which I am using with 7.0.10.3. Works like a charm, and I think it will work, for now at least. I set the expansion none, and managed to alter the public Moongate Gump to only show Felucca. Kudos to the developers and any one else who has contributed.

I would still welcome any advice or warnings any one might have to offer, esp. concerning spawning the world. Thanks!

tindo

Sorceror
Normally I suggest using the newest client. However, since you are using a custom map, they are going to have to get client files from you anyway, so it doesn't make a big difference.

Deco is not generated out of the box. The [admin gump will deco the world but that won't do you any good with a custom map. Well, if you only slightly edited the world, it might still help.

I prefer XMLspawner because you can do a ton more with it. Any spawn file that Nerun's has can be imported into XmlSpawner.

I would be curious to hear about your plans, as I love that era as well. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

Archaaz

Sorceror
Normally I suggest using the newest client. However, since you are using a custom map, they are going to have to get client files from you anyway, so it doesn't make a big difference.

Deco is not generated out of the box. The [admin gump will deco the world but that won't do you any good with a custom map. Well, if you only slightly edited the world, it might still help.

I prefer XMLspawner because you can do a ton more with it. Any spawn file that Nerun's has can be imported into XmlSpawner.

I would be curious to hear about your plans, as I love that era as well. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

Many thanks for the information and advice, Tindo! I am curious as to your thoughts on this project, and will definitely send a PM.

I downloaded and installed Nerun's Spawner, with which I decorated and spawned the world according to a T2A(ish) era. I have manged to delete most of the decorations, doors and signs that do not fit, and add the ones that do. I assume (hope) that this is saved to config file somewhere, and that I will not need to do it again in the event of a crash. The spawns need some tweaking, but this seams fairly straightforward (and hopefully also saves to a config file. I know Nerun's can do/does this, but I need to go over the documentation again). I will definitely be looking into XML Spawner as well.

I am quite impressed with the dedication and imagination of the community, and have managed to find scripts that will do much of what I wish to accomplish (albeit with a bit of tweaking on some).