RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Version of linux is best / easiest to use when setting up RUNUO?

sec_goat

Squire
I am looking at moving my RunUO Instance over to a real server. Currenlty is is running on Windows XP, and on the new server it will be running some flavor of linux.
I tried getting RunUO to work on Debian(Lenny) but could not for the life of me get Mono installed, and could not find any reliable support to tell me why.

Is there a recommended distro for running MONO / RUnUO?

bmd1101

Sorceror
I haven't done much with it yet, but I managed to setup a working 2.1 shard on Ubuntu 10.10 quite easily. Just a matter of installing the right packages. I've been contemplating moving my shard to linux and saving the $25ish/month I pay for Win2k8 r2.

EDIT:
Now that I think of it I got all my custom code to transfer over with little editing, mainly for file paths.

PappaSmurf

Knight
Just remember Ubuntu Sever edition doesn't have a GUI by default, if you aren't comfortable doing everything via the CLI you might want to look at adding one right away.

bmd1101

Sorceror
Just remember Ubuntu Sever edition doesn't have a GUI by default, if you aren't comfortable doing everything via the CLI you might want to look at adding one right away.

Or he could install desktop and just recompile the kernel with the server optimizations if he really needed them. I remember the good old days when there were very few distros, much easier choice. ^^ Man i used to love Caldera.

sec_goat

Squire
I had tried ubuntu 10.10 as a test install, got into the CLI and realized, that yes I can use it but I feel completely lost wihtout the GUI. So I Sudo Apt-Get install Ubuntu-desktop. took about 3 hours but now I have the desktop as well. What is this who-ha about recompiling the kernel?

Also I now have to wait for my second drive so I can set up the RAID.

Still haven't gotten to the installing runuo yet. Hopefully next week!

bmd1101

Sorceror
I had tried ubuntu 10.10 as a test install, got into the CLI and realized, that yes I can use it but I feel completely lost wihtout the GUI. So I Sudo Apt-Get install Ubuntu-desktop. took about 3 hours but now I have the desktop as well. What is this who-ha about recompiling the kernel?

Also I now have to wait for my second drive so I can set up the RAID.

Still haven't gotten to the installing runuo yet. Hopefully next week!

If you installed the server version of Ubuntu, then added the xwin packages it doesn't apply to you. You've already got the optimizations.

PappaSmurf

Knight
Or he could install desktop and just recompile the kernel with the server optimizations if he really needed them. I remember the good old days when there were very few distros, much easier choice. ^^ Man i used to love Caldera.

Yeah but how many people are familiar with Linux these days that aren't really comfortable doing everything command line. Easier to point out that he wouldn't have one so he prepares than for him to install it and go "Uh....."

sec_goat

Squire
Yeah but how many people are familiar with Linux these days that aren't really comfortable doing everything command line. Easier to point out that he wouldn't have one so he prepares than for him to install it and go "Uh....."

Strange enough, I feel better working off the command line in linux, however without a desktop I feel completely lost. Probably the dependence o windows I have worked up over the last 20 years or so.
For some reason I know what to do If I can click on the terminal icon and bring up the command line, but if I am dropped right in there I get intimidated.

sec_goat

Squire
Debian, silly!
# apt-get install mono
I will try that again on my Deian install and tell you all the godawful errors I get, maybe you can help me work through them? Something along the lines of no suitable cantidate found but we can install some 300 other packages? no that didn't work? we can install 300 more packages!

It has been a long time since I tried on my debian server, so I do not recall exactly what the deal was.

Tissemand

Squire
I will try that again on my Deian install and tell you all the godawful errors I get, maybe you can help me work through them? Something along the lines of no suitable cantidate found but we can install some 300 other packages? no that didn't work? we can install 300 more packages!

It has been a long time since I tried on my debian server, so I do not recall exactly what the deal was.

Uh, sure. In terminal you can try:
~ su
# aptitude
Then hit these keys
  1. /
    Searches
  2. mono
    Searches for mono, use the up/down keys to find the right package.
  3. +
    Select the package and it's dependencies.
  4. g
    View the packages that you're going to install
  5. g
    Start installing the packages.

mono installs easy on debian, but iirc, the version included is usually pretty dated. (Debian has a very anal policy about testing... as opposed to canonical which just grabs shit and throws it into the distro before its even ready) Best is to grab the source from the mono site and build it yourself. (this involves installing gcc and other tools, if you aren't comfortable GUIless, might not be for you. But if you want to try we can help.)

Installing the Ubuntu .deb from the mono site on Debian with dpkg might work as well, but while Ubuntu is based off of Debian, it does use a different naming scheme for packages and some dependencies might not be there/have different names. I doubt it tho.

No better way to learn the command line than deleting the GUI so you aren't tempted to go back to it. And the only reason so many people are like that nowadays is all of the ubuntu evangelists.

sec_goat

Squire
mono installs easy on debian, but iirc, the version included is usually pretty dated. (Debian has a very anal policy about testing... as opposed to canonical which just grabs shit and throws it into the distro before its even ready) Best is to grab the source from the mono site and build it yourself. (this involves installing gcc and other tools, if you aren't comfortable GUIless, might not be for you. But if you want to try we can help.)

Installing the Ubuntu .deb from the mono site on Debian with dpkg might work as well, but while Ubuntu is based off of Debian, it does use a different naming scheme for packages and some dependencies might not be there/have different names. I doubt it tho.

No better way to learn the command line than deleting the GUI so you aren't tempted to go back to it. And the only reason so many people are like that nowadays is all of the ubuntu evangelists.

I think my problem with just Command Line on linux is, I have no idea to bring up a web browser so I can find out how to do what I need to do. When i Have the desktop, I basically only use it for the web browser and do all my maintenance through the command line.

So, is there a way to launch a browser from the CLI?