RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is successfully running a Linux Mono server?

Who is successfully running a Linux Mono server?

Hi there,
I was wondering who is successfully running a RunUO on Linux using Mono.
And if you are which combination of Mono version, RunUO version and fixes.

I am asking because I'm still encountering a steady increase in left open sockets ("open files") on our server. This makes it necessary to restart it in regular intervals in order to prevent a crash when it hits the file limit.

We ran on Mono 1.9.1 and 2.0.1 with a RunUO based on rev 300 from the SVN with fixes as found on RavonTUS thread and an additonal ZLib fix, that I posted earlier.

Is there someone with a completely stable system?

Acronis

Sorceror
I'd be curious to know this as well. I've been debating on switching mine to mono/linux so I can remove my Windows VM and run it right off the host server itself. I *could* get a windows server but I feel more comfortable having a Linux box open to the internet, then a windows one, so I use localized RDP through SSH in order to admin the server and what not.

Frontzwerg

Wanderer
I think to run RunUO stable with linux is very complicated.
But if somebody reached, let us know! I'm working on it, but the mono-errors are too much^^

ntony

Sorceror
I got my shard running on Linux+Mono. Tho it has some minor problems at the beginning and got fixed by me. It runs quite stably now. Having 80-100 players on average. around 70 players at non-peak-hour.

I found some critical Mono bugs because of running RunUO. Those bugs appears on Mono 1.9.1. There is still one problem that I haven't fixed on my shard. Invalid credential message is not shown when player use incorrect account or password. I know it is a Mono problem but got no time to make an ad-hoc fix for it.

ntony;788061 said:
I got my shard running on Linux+Mono. Tho it has some minor problems at the beginning and got fixed by me. It runs quite stably now. Having 80-100 players on average. around 70 players at non-peak-hour.

I found some critical Mono bugs because of running RunUO. Those bugs appears on Mono 1.9.1. There is still one problem that I haven't fixed on my shard. Invalid credential message is not shown when player use incorrect account or password. I know it is a Mono problem but got no time to make an ad-hoc fix for it.

This sounds like you don't have a "too many open files"-problem. Did you hotfix something in your RunUO or Mono in order to avoid it?

Cheetah2003

Wanderer
I've been running RunUO SVN 300 on Mono with a handful of customizations on Debian Linux for several months and havn't had any trouble yet.

Admittedly, it's unused for the most part, but it does work fine.

Using Mono 2.0.

ntony

Sorceror
Lord_Helmchen;788094 said:
This sounds like you don't have a "too many open files"-problem. Did you hotfix something in your RunUO or Mono in order to avoid it?

yes, i did some amendment to RunUO to make it work. because of this, i have abondon the use of SocketPool in RunUO. but it's okay since establishing a new connection is not that long and the SocketPool seems not really necessary.
the "too many open files" problem is a Mono problem. Alan has file the bug to Mono bugzilla for me. and it is fixed quickly by Dick. the latest Mono SVN trunk doesn't have this problem now.

there is still another socket problem on Mono i have reported. i'm not sure whether it is fixed on Mono or not. it is not as harmful as "too many open files" one.

Hi, Cheetah2003.

are you using BASH shell? try "lsof | grep mono | grep SOCK | wc -l" out.

Acronis

Sorceror
I will be taking this on shortly. I want to convert my entire shard to Linux so I can get rid of my Windows VM and the need for Windows in my test environments. This will render my setup simpler, and make disaster recovery much faster, should an issue happen with my production server. Right now I have DR set to take a couple hours + by removing vmware/Windows from the equation I can probably cut that down to 1 hour. DR would be in the case of total server failure, for example.

Anyway that said the things I'm expecting to run into is file paths. (should use / and not \) as well as possibly the way the network is handled as it may be different in Linux.

My RunUO build is totally customized so I probably wont be able to provide too much help but I'll see what I can do once I get it working.

Cheetah2003

Wanderer
Acronis;788504 said:
Anyway that said the things I'm expecting to run into is file paths. (should use / and not \) as well as possibly the way the network is handled as it may be different in Linux.

Using proper C# methods, you should never need to worry about the directory delimiter.

Path.Combine("myroot","scripts") for example.