RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don't you play on OSI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alari

Wanderer
Probably my main reason for still not playing on the EA/OSI servers would be (aside from cost) that I have a very strong feel for the kind of play experience that I want to have and I just can't get that on the commercial servers.

The more I work with RunUO the more ideas I have about changes I'd like to implement and the more I realize that things I'd originally shelved as too complex could actually be done fairly easily. (relatively speaking)

I know I posted before on this thread, but I couldn't resist. =) Besides, that was, what, a year ago?

LongBullet

Wanderer
Alright, there is no way I'm going to sit and read through 13 pages of posts made by (mostly) morons. So, here is my opinion:

I don't play OSI anymore, because the PvP is shit, and the only way you can succeed in OSI servers are:

1) Being rich IRL and buying on EBay (Artifacts, woot... or not.)
2) Playing for countless hours to find an artifact so you have a meer chance to compete.

Studies show (conducted by me, on an AoS shard) that people who play AoS are completely unprepared for balanced Pvp. How do I know this? Let me tell you.

I put two AoS'ers together, both equiped with a half apron giving them 2 fc/4 fcr for an "old school" feel to aos. I know this isn't exact, but it's the best I could do. What is the first thing they cast? Flamestrike. Well no, one casts FS, one casts EB. Why do they do this? Because they are used to being able to cast an EB faster than others can cast a poison. I was sickened, and I just ended up cancelling, dueling them myself and showing them how to do it. AoS ruined pvp because it is completely unbalanced.

And for those of you who are saying "PvP is not for everyone, some like a safer place", let me tell you a few things. One, UO was not a "safe" game, like they all are today. Look at...WoW for example. You die, and what do you lose? Absolutely nothing, except a few durability points on your weapons/armor that can be repaired for pocket change. Part of the excitement of UO was because you knew that someone could roll up and own you at any second, damn near anywhere. This caused players to be a little quicker than most other games, because if you weren't quick, you didn't survive. This was also taken away with AoS, with insurance.

Trammel, (or tramell, not sure of spelling) was a place for people who sit at a bank all day and sell stuff to sit and waste bandwidth. This place takes away all the excitement of UO, and I just don't see why they don't go and play WoW ooorrrr Guild Wars (actually a fun game, very fun) and sit and sell stuff there.

And yes, I notice I flit from subject to subject like a bird, but oh well. Most of you can understand that, and please, for the grammar freaks out there, try not to impress everyone by correcting any mistakes I may have. Every forum I go to, they are always lurking.

psz

Administrator
Actually, OSI was supposed to be a place were people who WANTED to PvP could, and people who DIDN'T want to PvP didn't have to. This was abused heavilly. Thus, Trammel was made.

However, I too never understood why there are 4 Trams and 1 Fel (Except that the overwelming majority of PAYING players have time and time again asked for more Tram lands)

Just personal preference, to be honest. Mine doesn't agree with the majority, but the majority are what pays the bills.

PennyLane

Wanderer
How Trammel ruined uo (or why Im using RunUO)

Before Trammel UO was a complete world. I started out playing just like everyone else. I was a newby blue who couldnt figure out how in the hell to get off occlo island and who was terrified of the HUGE masses of mongbats on the western side of Moonglow (...hey, they kicked my ass!) Orc mages were the bane of my existance, I thought only rich people rode horses, and my guild was a fairly large group of newbies and carebears called "VaH". We did all the same little goofy things that Trammel people do today. The difference was, there was real excitement and accomplishment in the world.

The sense of danger brought about by pks fostered a very strong sense of comradeship and community. When a red guild would roll through a dungeon all of the blues there, whether they knew each other or not, would band together to heal and help each other and fight the reds. Sometimes we won, sometimes we lost, but it was always an adrenaline rush.

One day after T2A came out, 14 of us went to Oasis to gain some skills fighting the spawn around there. To make a long story short...3 pks took us out. 3 reds vs 14 blues. We didnt whine or cry or page gms, we stood there in ever increasing numbers of ghosts in absolute awe of the skill of these 3 players (Absolute Zero, Sex Machine and Milk Man by name from the Napa Valley guild TLC). It wasnt the first time i had been pkd, but it was by far the best. First there were two of us as ghosts, then 4, then 6...the rest of our group regrouped to fight back against the reds who were still outnumbered by a long shot. Before long, we were all cheering on the reds who had killed us. Their teamwork and tactics were nothing short of amazing. None of us were upset at having died..they were GOOD and it was fun. It was one of the best fights I have ever seen in many many years of playing uo.

When Trammel came out, I was still a blue, I had never been red yet. Like everyone else I waited and waited for it to come out. New lands, no crime, lots more housing...it was a big thing for me. It turned out to be the biggest disappointment in the game. Within a couple of weeks I packed my bags and moved back to fel. Trammel didnt have that same sense of danger. Everything was too easy. When i went to a dungeon, instead of having to watch out for every person coming by I fell into a daze of repetitive action. Instead of wondering if each name that popped up was my next battle, i stopped paying any attention to them. When i took my boatloads of gold to the bank, i didnt feel like I had beaten any odds nor earned anything.

No monster, no matter how good the AI, will ever give you a battle of wits and skill like a player will. Standing in a dungeon mindlessly spamming "All Kill" then picking up the loot doesnt accomplish anything you couldnt do with a simple script. The skills, money, items and housing are meaningless when they are so easy to acquire and so many people have them. A staged duel with rules and preparedness will never require the same fast thinking, instantaneous reactions and knowledge of your character that an ambush will. You'll never feel the same sense of accomplishment over an "honorable duel" that you will when you have beaten someone when the odds were against you.

Back in "the day" it was not uncommon for one person to take on and beat 2-3 opponents. It was not uncommon for a good player on a half built character to take out a cocky but underskilled player on a 7x gm character. It wasn't your items that mattered, it was the skill of the fingers on the keyboard and the mind that drove them. Money wasnt an issue, it was skill and not items that mattered in a battle. People were much more polite back then. There wasnt the animosity between players that there is now. It was simply red vs blues and reds & blues vs thieves. (the poor thieves have always gotten the short end of the stick) There was a LOT less shit talk because back then, if you ran your mouth you got your ass kicked.

Today..god, today most of the griefing occurs in trammel. People are so rude, childish and greedy. There is no sense of comradeship. It is all about keeping up with the Jones's. People whine to the GM's about the most ludacris issues (OMG, mr GM! he killed the dragon i wanted to kill! that was supposed to be MY uber loot!). Yes a lot of the people in fel are childish griefing loud mouthed jackasses....maybe even most of them. Those aren't real feluccans in fel any more...the real ones are mostly gone now. A dying breed. I really do hope i find a few here :) Thats what im looking for.

kage1234

Wanderer
The game is bloated. One wishes that just once he could play a simple game again. I remember tolling bridges on OSI back in the day. I think they expanded it the wrong way. There's not enough excitement anymore, I mean sure monsters are scary but it's not as good when you die and get lauged at by your murderer.

georox

Wanderer
PennyLane said:
Before Trammel UO was a complete world. I started out playing just like everyone else. I was a newby blue who couldnt figure out how in the hell to get off occlo island and who was terrified of the HUGE masses of mongbats on the western side of Moonglow (...hey, they kicked my ass!) Orc mages were the bane of my existance, I thought only rich people rode horses, and my guild was a fairly large group of newbies and carebears called "VaH". We did all the same little goofy things that Trammel people do today. The difference was, there was real excitement and accomplishment in the world.

The sense of danger brought about by pks fostered a very strong sense of comradeship and community. When a red guild would roll through a dungeon all of the blues there, whether they knew each other or not, would band together to heal and help each other and fight the reds. Sometimes we won, sometimes we lost, but it was always an adrenaline rush.

One day after T2A came out, 14 of us went to Oasis to gain some skills fighting the spawn around there. To make a long story short...3 pks took us out. 3 reds vs 14 blues. We didnt whine or cry or page gms, we stood there in ever increasing numbers of ghosts in absolute awe of the skill of these 3 players (Absolute Zero, Sex Machine and Milk Man by name from the Napa Valley guild TLC). It wasnt the first time i had been pkd, but it was by far the best. First there were two of us as ghosts, then 4, then 6...the rest of our group regrouped to fight back against the reds who were still outnumbered by a long shot. Before long, we were all cheering on the reds who had killed us. Their teamwork and tactics were nothing short of amazing. None of us were upset at having died..they were GOOD and it was fun. It was one of the best fights I have ever seen in many many years of playing uo.

When Trammel came out, I was still a blue, I had never been red yet. Like everyone else I waited and waited for it to come out. New lands, no crime, lots more housing...it was a big thing for me. It turned out to be the biggest disappointment in the game. Within a couple of weeks I packed my bags and moved back to fel. Trammel didnt have that same sense of danger. Everything was too easy. When i went to a dungeon, instead of having to watch out for every person coming by I fell into a daze of repetitive action. Instead of wondering if each name that popped up was my next battle, i stopped paying any attention to them. When i took my boatloads of gold to the bank, i didnt feel like I had beaten any odds nor earned anything.

No monster, no matter how good the AI, will ever give you a battle of wits and skill like a player will. Standing in a dungeon mindlessly spamming "All Kill" then picking up the loot doesnt accomplish anything you couldnt do with a simple script. The skills, money, items and housing are meaningless when they are so easy to acquire and so many people have them. A staged duel with rules and preparedness will never require the same fast thinking, instantaneous reactions and knowledge of your character that an ambush will. You'll never feel the same sense of accomplishment over an "honorable duel" that you will when you have beaten someone when the odds were against you.

Back in "the day" it was not uncommon for one person to take on and beat 2-3 opponents. It was not uncommon for a good player on a half built character to take out a cocky but underskilled player on a 7x gm character. It wasn't your items that mattered, it was the skill of the fingers on the keyboard and the mind that drove them. Money wasnt an issue, it was skill and not items that mattered in a battle. People were much more polite back then. There wasnt the animosity between players that there is now. It was simply red vs blues and reds & blues vs thieves. (the poor thieves have always gotten the short end of the stick) There was a LOT less shit talk because back then, if you ran your mouth you got your ass kicked.

Today..god, today most of the griefing occurs in trammel. People are so rude, childish and greedy. There is no sense of comradeship. It is all about keeping up with the Jones's. People whine to the GM's about the most ludacris issues (OMG, mr GM! he killed the dragon i wanted to kill! that was supposed to be MY uber loot!). Yes a lot of the people in fel are childish griefing loud mouthed jackasses....maybe even most of them. Those aren't real feluccans in fel any more...the real ones are mostly gone now. A dying breed. I really do hope i find a few here :) Thats what im looking for.
Funny thing is ive read this exact story, word for word on about 5 different websites....

Eowyn

Wanderer
Reason why I don't play OSI UO

When I started playing I really enjoyed it as I played on two shards; 1. Catskills
2. Great Lakes. (I originally played on beta when you went to their website to play but the lag and disconnects frustrated me and I left the game for a few years.) I remember I couldn't wait to GM my mage and my warrior on Cats and GM my tamer on both Cats and Great Lakes.

When EA decided to add Champ spawns to obtain power scrolls to have/maintain a GM skill was like spitting in the ocean against the wind. I felt they forget to add a powerscroll for LJ. Yes, one could always count on a handfull of "Reds" being around. LBR wasn't too bad when released but was glad the invasion of the cities were over as I felt they were dragging it out a bit much. Also another mistake I feel EA did was to remove powerhour and replace it with SSG. It's great if you have no time restraints in real life and are able to play for hours.

AOS: many of my friends left OSI at that time. Roleplaying an orc was extremely difficult since One Orcish Administrator couldn't approve any orc's having Paladin skills or Necromancer skills and Magery skills were only approved if you had been with the clan for awhile. I also played on Siege Perilous Shard and the Orcish Administrator did approve Necromancer skills only again for those being established with their clan for more than a year. Paladin was definately OUT! Mainly because most orc's were evil and were permanent Red.

Monsters were made tougher and casting EV back in the day was great but then EA decided to make EV less powerful. Also EA Played around with many combat skills,bard skills, taming skills and mage skills. Weapon's Attributes, Armor Attributes, and then Jewlry attributes. I agree with the earlier post which stated unless you were rich in real life and always bought stuff from Ebay you really stood no chance.

Siege Perilous Shard brought back many old memories of the original UO osi as there is NO TRAMMEL!! You weren't able to go to Luna and remain alive while attempting to browse player vendors. hahahaha.

The thing which was really upsetting was EA decided to make things more difficult to receive any in game support/help/assistance. I felt they were too concerned with loosing players when AOS came out and were working their development crew to come out with something that would attract more people to play. I can't even begin to count the times I used the help option to page a gm for assistance and I would receive either a message saying to go to their support website and search for questions/answers or sorry we can't help you.

You think I am going to pay for a service and not receive any assistance then think again! Oh ! and lets not forgot the increase in cost to play( forgot when they implemented that change )

As far as SE goes well I had left OSI a few months before it's released. But again too I really don't know the historical medevil times of that culture so I really can't truly give an opinion one way or another. I do like the new armor, weapons and the monsters appearances though.

Eowyn

AlterationX

Wanderer
Trammel... The stupidest thing anyone could ever add in a PvP game. PvP was what UO was about. Also, before Trammel came out, I had 2 Castles and a Tower. When they made Trammel, my houses became Felucca, when that happened their value crashed.

Then they added more security to the houses. Before UO: R, you could wlak in someone's house and take anything, then you could lock stuff down, and NOW, if it's a private house you can't even step on the porch. So a red could attack you and you could own him, then he runs inside his house. Even if you got him when he ran inside, You can't loot him, cut him up and get his head, or nothing. That's pretty dull if you ask me.

didymus

Wanderer
Why is it with every new(?) release the maps seem to get smaller?

Never played on OSI, and never will: hosting,and creating, your own shard is much more interesting!

Endicott

Wanderer
I no longer play OSI for a couple reasons.
1. Everyone on there is either a 'Hacker' or trying to steal something in some way.
2. It gets REALLY boring i like more of a variety and it seems like free shards are moving up fast.
3. Like Didymus said it is much more fun to start your own and build ur own and go by your rules.
4. Ive had my account stolen a couple times so i got sick of OSI style and created my own shard :D.

DaLaw66

Sorceror
Milsik said:
Hehe i agree.. Isnt Garriot (sp?) working on a new MMORPG?
Richard Garriott left EA in 2000, and is currently working on other MMOG's with company's like NCSoft and so.
Maybe he's working on City Of Heros / City Of Villains ?

Marak

Sorceror
Is there going to be any external testing?
There will be a series of external tests starting in the near future. Essentially we will release UO2 telling you it it fully complete, when in all actuality you are paying us ten bucks a month to be beta testers for us. What the hell, it worked the first time out...

From about 4 pages back the WTF site - damnit no one tell my players that - someone say nail on the head?

craer

Wanderer
why craer does not play on osi ......b/c there all peaces of shit they banned me for bring 9 polar baers to brit bank dam assholes

psz

Administrator
Because the non-free version is generally faster, more populated, and tends to have a TONNE of features not found on free shards?

Because you want to see the game continue to be developped? (which costs money)

Better question: Why do people insist on digging up ancient threads? This thread is from last year. Let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.