RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why I hate RunUO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johabius

Knight
Seanchen.net said:
If your not willing to do this, there is no need for a request forum.
Simple answer is that I do not have the ability to fulfill a request, as I'm just still in the learning phase of my C# experience. I'm not the community, though; I'm just one person.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Yiffi said:
So daat and/or Senchen, this is to either of you guys directly.
Taking into the fact that people won't likely change, what are your ideas for improving the situation?
I read a lot about how you both think some ideas are bad and don't work. I can accept that, but do you have any ideas on how to make things nicer?

Taking everyones quotes and ideas then saying how its a bad idea, even if you are right, seem counter productive to what your trying to say.

My idea, people just follow the darn rules, and attempt things before they ask for help. Like I said requests would be fine, but If they are allowed, I would charge to actually complete the request. Since I don't want to charge for a request, because i think Knowlege should be shared, I am against requests.

But your right that doesn't solve anything, neither does saying were being counter produtive ( funny second person that said that today ) help the situtation.

The only real idea, is allow requests, that doesn't solve the other problems.

Why does it have to roll onto our shoulders to think of a solution, how about people discussion possible solutions and take the damn complaints along with the praise.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Johabius said:
Simple answer is that I do not have the ability to fulfill a request, as I'm just still in the learning phase of my C# experience. I'm not the community, though; I'm just one person.

Who besides the people that want requests, have said they actually agree with allowing requests?

Everyone I have read, has been the people who want to be able to request something, not give something back.

Because like I have said multiple times, if you want requests, go full-fill every request out there and post it. If that happens I might change my mind. Till that happens, anyone that "wants" to be able to request, should be ashamed of themselfs for wanting to keep their projects to themselfs.

There are ways within the rules, to get ideas across to people, you just gota play between a good game of american football.

Johabius

Knight
Seanchen.net said:
Who besides the people that want requests, have said they actually agree with allowing requests?
Morexton:
What they need to do is create some kind of "Ideas" or "Requests" forum where users can submit their ideas and requests, then other users who wish to assist can then fulfill the request. There will also be a disclaimer that even though they place a request, it does not mean that someone HAS to fulfill it.

Users would be able to submit their ideas into this forum as well, and other users can use it as a resource to get ideas from.
I think we can both agree that he is more than capable of writing his own code, and he shares with the community. So I don't think he would be requesting much;)

Arvoreen

Sorceror
Seanchen.net said:
Everyone I have read, has been the people who want to be able to request something, not give something back.

Who wants to give back when you act like such an asshole?

I can say you've single-handedly shot down any motivation I had of contributing further to this community.

I can see why you were banned (I remember the front-page-news), and am greatly saddened that you were back, even though I did not know the significance of your banning at the time I was aware of it.

It was a sad day for the RunUO community indeed. . . .

Oh, and you can report me, since as of now I don't really give 2 shits if I get banned, because I don't plan on contributing as long as you are around to pollute my threads.

For the rest of you, sorry for the outburst, I just don't understand why such stupidity and arrogance are tolerated. Seanchen/Phantom/ASSHOLE is the embodiment of what is wrong with this community, despite his lies that he cares for it, otherwise, would he be mentioned SO many times, even in the initial post of this thread?

My point exactly. Peace.

*edit: Got a PM from Seanchen:
Seanchen.net said:
Forum was being slow, wouldn't let me hit reply, so I hit send a pm instead.

Anyways got a few comments

1) I have already done about 10% of the documentation your talking about.
2) I could continue to do it, I might or I might not, depends how I feel.
3) Telling people to use the correct tools, and not requesting comments that describe a very specfic method, is not senseless babble.

Whats with wanting to, get rid of a perfectly good response, this isn't nazi germany.

Oh, YOU'RE doing it, but haven't made it public. More of the 'I know but not going to tell you' bullshit you're famous for. And Visual C# WILL NOT help people understand the docs. Don't be a fucking retard. And I ALWAYS tell people to use an editor. God damn you're fucking thick.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Arvoreen: Way to ruin a good discussion with your bashing. There goes the productiveness, and guess what? This is EXACTLY what TheOutkastDev was talking about in his first post! Thanks a lot for helping to move the community forward.

Johabius

Knight
Arvoreen said:
*clipped out to remove hostility*

I think you've missed the point, Arvoreen. I don't see him as being an asshole about any of this. This is simply two people, Seanchen and myself, discussing our different views on the subject. No reason for you to get so upset about something that two adults are discussing something they choose to discuss. I see no flaming going on in the discussion, and then you come along and freak out over something that isn't even happening. I'll share something that I learned when I was taking anger management classes: Be quick to think, but slower to act.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Oh, and you can report me, since as of now I don't really give 2 shits if I get banned, because I don't plan on contributing as long as you are around to pollute my threads.

I have removed my larger response, and explained myself in my first response, to your documentation thread. I didn't realize how much I upset you, thats the last thing I wanted to do, and that wasn't my attention with my harsh response to your idea.

You have done nothing to be banned, I hope your not banned, otherwise we cannot work out our differences.

For the rest of you, sorry for the outburst, I just don't understand why such stupidity and arrogance are tolerated. Seanchen/Phantom/ASSHOLE is the embodiment of what is wrong with this community, despite his lies that he cares for it, otherwise, would he be mentioned SO many times, even in the initial post of this thread?

Human nature is to not to blame yourself, I have admited my part in the flaws of this community, have you?

Oh, YOU'RE doing it, but haven't made it public. More of the 'I know but not going to tell you' bullshit you're famous for. And Visual C# WILL NOT help people understand the docs. Don't be a fucking retard. And I ALWAYS tell people to use an editor. God damn you're fucking thick.

Its not complete...I am more then welcome to post what I have. I post everything I do to the public, when have I not done that? I learned everything I know, by using an editor, and doing a compile every 5 minutes.

FYI, Thanks for proving Outkasts point about the community, it shows I really am not the only reason for the way he feels.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Johabius said:
I think you've missed the point, Arvoreen. I don't see him as being an asshole about any of this. This is simply two people, Seanchen and myself, discussing our different views on the subject. No reason for you to get so upset about something that two adults are discussing something they choose to discuss. I see no flaming going on in the discussion, and then you come along and freak out over something that isn't even happening. I'll share something that I learned when I was taking anger management classes: Be quick to think, but slower to act.

I respect the fact, your not allowing emotion to cloud the discussion, it allows for us to have a better discussion because of that fact.

A perfect example of why not to have a request forum, is eronicly the Sphere Forum itself, the most active forum is the request forum and nobody even fullfills it.

The solution to the problem this community has, is not the fact it should allow requests, because like I said that already happens. Anyone who wanted to give back to this community, is more then welcome to, read and fullfil those requests if thats what.

Morexton is one person, I have seen many others against it, and I know many others are against it. All people who also give back, but Morxeton has not been active for awhile, he doesn't remember how it gets after awhile.

The solution has to mean the entire community, or most of it, at least the active members find a solution that works for them. Then as a community come together and do something that wll improve the situation. Allowing requests which again, already happen, is not a solution.

Knowelege is one thing in life you can get without having to pay for.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Seanchen.net said:
A perfect example of why not to have a request forum, is eronicly the Sphere Forum itself, the most active forum is the request forum and nobody even fullfills it.

Hey, we got rid of Script Requests a long time ago! ;-)

btw, I passed your post count number on there, not that you care at all.

S

Savaal

DreamCatcher said:
Attacking one person on here is not the reason for a bad community. I honestly think as we learn the game and etc some of us get the info we need and move on...Some don't bother to reply and help others or some just get tired of it and give some snide comment and some stay and are very helpful to this community.

We were all new at this and all needed help. Yes, some us of know how to do a "Good Search"and yes some of us find our answers right away. Then there are some that need some extra help from someone helpful that knows what their doing even tho they've read it a hundred times. There is a way to be helpful without making people feeling stupid or make them feel like there is no hope for them even having a shard. I've seen this done on here with numerous people that did have the knowledge to help them.

Then you get the flames wars such as now. People post a problem and then someone posts back being rude and unhelpful and then the flames get started and go on and on. As I posted earlier put them in their place when they are rude , say something. Well I was wrong! What I think needs to be done is a Mod take control over these posts and warn them, whatever you have to do to put a stop to it. I think when a flame war starts or there are posters that make people feel stupid for posting, then let the "Mod" handle it....Thats just my opinion, because flames are getting old on here and they can go on and on.

As I said before why waste your time posting if your not going to help or make someone feel stupid? You could point them in the right direction..This is like a teaching place and there are some really good Teachers here. I don't know anything about scripts except putting them into my shard and thats all I want to know about scripting.Lol. I've been on these boards for over 2 years now *with another name* But I will help anyone that needs it if I know what I am talking about and if I don't know then I will do a search and try and help them. I try to remember when I first started out and all the questions I had and I try to be helpful to others that started out. Nobody owes anyone anything here, but you don't have to post if you can't be helpful or point them in a direction they need to go in or if you just want to be rude. I've seen it so many times by numerous players. Theres no reason for it.

I just hope we have more helpful people in this community and be good Teachers for the ones that are starting out and may need that extra little help. Good luck on your shards and good luck to all the new people starting out and learning as you go. This is a good place to learn and grow in knowledge of the game.

Just my opinion of things.:p

I totally agree with you there isn't any emotional safty, there are people who hardly know how to use a Forums let alone search, and need just a litle more help.

People need to be more concered with helping first wether than correcting.. maybe by...

Helping them then afterwards say... Hey next time try to use the search option to search the Forums for your answer and then if you cannot find what you are looking for ask us for help. :) It will save us all time and energy.

instead of jumping on there case for not searching and saying "OMFG THERE IS LIEK 100000 Topics about this subject nub do a search first."

Yiffi

Wanderer
Seanchen.net said:
...Why does it have to roll onto our shoulders to think of a solution...

It doesn't. I just read about a page or two of you and daat saying others had terrible ideas. So I was wondering what your ideas actually were instead of what you both disagreed with.

Like I said wasn't a flame just a question.

daat99

Staff member
Johabius said:
Morexton:

I think we can both agree that he is more than capable of writing his own code, and he shares with the community. So I don't think he would be requesting much;)
Please tell me what stops him from opening a thread in starbucks in similar note to:
"I'm looking for a new project, anyone have any ideas?"

Offering to script new projects isn't against the rules, requesting others to do it is.

People aren't allowed to open a thread and say "I want this" but they are allowed to reply to a thread that asks for ideas.

Johabius

Knight
Seanchen.net said:
The solution has to mean the entire community, or most of it, at least the active members find a solution that works for them. Then as a community come together and do something that wll improve the situation.
I completely agree with this. You are beginning to sway me on the position of a requests forum as well;)
We've got to find a way, that will make newcomers feel more welcome, and will keep the more seasoned members of the community more interested in helping those newcomers become a productive or helpful part of this place. I have to admit that when I first joined the RunUO forums, I felt completely lost, and wanted to just give up trying to learn many times, but I stuck around, read a lot, tried to sift through the coal to find the diamonds, and I'm very glad I did. It makes learning a lot more interesting when you know that there are others out there struggling to learn too;)

daat99

Staff member
Yiffi said:
It doesn't. I just read about a page or two of you and daat saying others had terrible ideas. So I was wondering what your ideas actually were instead of what you both disagreed with.

Like I said wasn't a flame just a question.
I'm not a big fan of "ideas", I believe in acting instead.
In my opinion the first step the community need to take is to respect the rules and kick out anybody that think they can do whatever they want regardless of the rules.

Just in the past week 2 different persons tried to start a flame war with me (a moderator) when I was enforcing the rules, they both earned a bit of timeout in hope that they'll change their ways.
3rd person repeatedly posted requests ignoring my replies to him both in the forum and in pms while making multiple acounts so it would look like it isn't the same person, he also got a long timeout (not perm yet).

In my believe once the community will get back in track and people will respect the rules than other people won't need to reply with "read the rules" posts and the result will be a lot nicer enviroment that people can actually get help with.

Let me remind you that not too long ago (about 1-2 months) everybody that opened the script support saw 15 out of 20 threads that consist of the first post as a question and another 40+ posts that serve only 1 purpose, flame war.

Lucky for us the forums are a bit nicer now than they were than so we do make progress, it's just slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.