RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

XmlMobFactions

ArteGordon

Wanderer
Thraxus said:
How many different factions could this system conceivably support? Could adding too many factions slow down a shard much?

The concept is wonderful, but I'd be the type to get incredibly in-depth with this type of thing. I'd probably want different factions for the NPCs of each town for example.. allied but separate, so that you can have different reputations with the NPCs in different towns.. maybe be a wanted man in one town and a respected individual in another.

Or friendly with one orc tribe and hostile with another.. etc..

I had mentioned earlier that I was going to do some stress testing to see what kind of loads you might expect with different faction numbers and I ran through a number of different scenarios.

With version 1.01, a 100 player load and roughly 10 mobs killed per second serverwide with 10 abyss-sized factions resulted in under 1% overall increase in server load on my 1.7G pent-M.
As this scaled to 100 players and 100 factions it went up to about 3%. At 100 players, 1000 factions it went to 30% with most of that due to the increased load on the ai due to the faction-dependent target acquisition mod.

After optimizing some of the faction lookup code in version 1.02, the numbers got much better.

With 1.02, a 100 player, 10,000 faction (or 1000 player, 1000 faction) scenario results in less than 1% loading similar to the 100 player 10 faction in 1.01. So there is a roughly 3 order of magnitude performance improvement in the new version when you go to high player or faction loads. At smaller player or faction loads it is virtually undetectable, falling below 0.1%.
It is the difference between doing linear searches and using hash tables to get faction groups.

ArteGordon

Wanderer
sorry, I just realized that I had messed up the v1.02 zip and included the attachments twice. If you already dl'd it you probably already noticed and removed the duplicates, but I upped a fixed version.

LordHogFred

Knight
My faction status doesn't seem to be changing?

How do I gain faction points?

I am just killing monsters spawned by megaspawner and myself but not gaining any faction points. I also tried mobs spawned from the XMLspawner.

Chz :),

ArteGordon

Wanderer
double check to make sure that you performed installation steps 2 and 6 from the XmlSpawner2 package. Those are the changes that allow mob and player kills to be tracked by the system.

(edit)
megaspawner/xmlspawner/distrospawner mobs wont matter. They can come from anywhere.

LordHogFred

Knight
It's ok I know what was wrong now, I was using my admin character to kill mobs. As soon as I used his Staff ORb to set his status to player he started gaining faction points.

This is great :D

ArteGordon

Wanderer
updated to version 1.03

from the changelog

New to Version 1.03
- minor display change on mouseover for items with XmlFactionMastery attachment. The properties will no longer attempt to display the %damage increase (which it could not do because it did not know who the player was performing the mouseover). The correct damage information will still be displayed when using the Item Identification skill.

- added a checkbox to the mob factions gump to toggle the verbosemobfactions setting that can be used instead of the "[verbosemobfactions true/false"command.

ArteGordon

Wanderer
updated to version 1.04

from the changelog

New to Version 1.04
updated 1/14/05

- added page scrolling buttons to the faction rewards gump.

- a few minor modifications to the default factions lists.