RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your voice is heard; A Letter from the Pres.

S

sp000n

Your voice is heard; A Letter from the Pres.

There have been times when Americans who wanted to do the right thing had to go to Canada, Britain or other places to do the right thing while their own government took a long time to commit. I'm talking about WWI and WWII.

When America went to war against Iraq, they were doing the right thing. Fucked up intelligence or no (common to all wars), the man was a murdering despot that had to go. Mebbe we weren't in a position to remove Stalin, Pol Pot or the others, but this guy had burned his bridges and was there.

Canada, balked, so I promptly went down to an American recruiter and enlisted to do my bit just as Americans went North before me. Lengthening story shortened, I was unable to serve due to dishonest recruiters and restrictive policies. I wrote the President about it.

Today, I got an autographed photo and a letter from the President. Thought I'd share it with you guys... it's nice to know you can be heard.

The White House
Washington

October 3, 2003

Mr Scott Cameron
xxxx xxxxxxxxx
Honolulu, HI xxxxx-xxxx

Dear Mr. Cameron:

Thank you for sharing your views and for your kind words of support. I appreciate learning about your concerns and welcome your suggestions.

During this time of great consequence, my Administration continues to reform domestic programs, secure our homeland, and work to create opportunies for all Americans. I am grateful for your support. Best wishes.

Sincerely,

*signature*

George W. Bush.

I'm sure he didn't write it himself... but *someone* over there read what I wrote and I feel reassured about that.

PS: Any typo's are mine.

PerfectWing

Wanderer
I was unable to serve due to dishonest recruiters and restrictive policies. I wrote the President about it.
I know the feeling. Though I can't decide if you were more or less fortunate then me. I was allowed to train at Parris Island for approximately 10 weeks. We were humping back from rifle range when I stumbled on something, at least I think I did, could have been some slight exhaustion, fell, and the pack I was carrying shifted my back putting me in a lot of pain. I had already known I had a congenital (born with) back problem that was considered a permanent disqualification from any branch of the US Armed Forces, but I had managed to pass it off as another congenital problem that did not have any impact on my fitness (winged scapula of the shoulder blades - or something like that).
In any case, after that happened, I couldn't suppress the pain that was tearing at my back and the Senior Drill Instructor had me sent to the BAS, then off the island to the hospital for x-rays. They discovered my back problem and managed to retrieve my civilian records to see the fraudulent enlistment.

In the end I wound up being sent home with full pay, after a month in MRP recovering, then about three weeks in RSP getting my paperwork done. Though I wasn't able to finish training, I do take pride in knowing how far I was able to get. I do wish you could've gotten the opportunity as I did and perhaps would not have stumbled to some fault or another. I did manage to keep my smart card, which is the only real tangible proof I have of ever going there. That and I can drill like a motherfucker.

S

sp000n

I nearly fell into that trap myself. The recruiters wouldn't let me go to MEPS until I removed items like my previously broken bones from the health forms. So, I did but only because I was forwarned that MEPS would ask again.

As soon as I got to MEPS, I corrected my forms. The doctors didn't so much as bat an eye. They updated my records and I got "Airborne approved" stamped right in the middle.