RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yup.

ASayre

RunUO Developer
Yup.

Yup. Sitting here at the UCen. Bored. can't even code on these things. You'd think tens of thousands of people paying shitloads of $ for tuition would be able to pay for some computers better than a Pentium II. You'd think. It takes forver just to load webpages. And they're so old there's no USB slot on 'em, so I can't even use the USB disk to bring an ebook or something. Or atleast, read some code or even try to wokr something out in notepad.

Yes. Notepad. Desperate for something to do. boooooorrreeeddd...

Yea.

Arvoreen

Sorceror
Crappy, sorry to hear it

*edited to remove direct links

Maybe read some web comics? I know you said it browses slow, but it SHOULD be enough!

ASayre

RunUO Developer
Arvoreen said:
Crappy, sorry to hear it

*edited to remove direct links

Maybe read some web comics? I know you said it browses slow, but it SHOULD be enough!

Already did, hehe.

Curse me for scheduling a mornign class and then one 3 hours later. Auugh!

ASayre

RunUO Developer
la la la. Bored. Did I mention I hate java? Yup. hate it hate it hate it. So stupid.

And then they implement Generics which is.. YAY! but then they fark it up by throwing away all the performance benifits of it and they don't do copile type checking of it by default. Auugh. They have it still set as object, just with accessors. Arrgh.

And just to throw an exception,t he interface, the class and the method all have to be TOLD that it throws an exception. HINT: If it has a 'throw' in it, it throws one!

Amazing!

And properties...
ARGH. What properties ;P getBla() setBla()? ><

and lack of virtual keyword to allow things to be overridden or NOT... augh.

And also the lack of true structs/enums. Argh.

Dynamic code compilation is in some obscure library that's ONLY in the sdk, com.sun.java.tools.javac or something. Auugh.

Vectors. are. Direction + Magnitude. Argh.

No [BlaAttrbitues]. Thus can't put metadata directly on a method or whatever liek you can in C#. Arrgh.

Arg. Why do so many people use java and force you to use java? Bribes from Sun?

Augh.

(Yes, this is a rant)

Arvoreen

Sorceror
Hmm. I hate Basic. :) And Visual Basic.

On a side note, ASayre8, it could be worse. A couple buddies of mine were just ditched for a snowboarding trip. They stood around outside for like an hour for nothing. :D

ASayre

RunUO Developer
TMSTKSBK said:
/me is taking Java 3...I feel your pain :(

Yar, it's like... taking a step BACKWARDS compared to C#. :(

Don't know how many times i've written a property and then wondered why the 'ell it wouldn't work :<.

It's like going from C/C++ to Basic. Or to Pascal or what have you.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
COBOL! :D

(The other engineering departments mostly use Fortran, here :confused:)

CPEs, EEs, AEs, CEs, and CSCs (computer, electrical, aeronautical, civil, and comp sci) all learn Java...and yeah, they definitely need the properties...

My J3 teacher said:

"This is not a Java class...we assume you already know how to program."

It really isn't a *Java* class...it's really about optimization and running time and whatnot (Big O, Big Omega, Big Theta, O(n) time, log(n) time, etc.). It'd be a lot more helpful if they taught us some in-depth stuff.

We re-learned recursion today >_<. That was annoying. But on the other hand, it was good, since I hadn't had anyone talk to me about recursion in...a year and a half (I used it in a program I wrote recently, though...)

The problem with this not being a "programming class"...is that the assignments are going to be GINORMOUS. 15-20,000 lines each. And three of them.

//me is sincerely not looking forward to this.

(yeh...I'm in the same fix you are, btw...I have a 9:35...and then a 3:20. It's 6:30ish now, so it's all good...)

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
I haven't taken anyone programming classes, but i'm curious when you say lines, you mean lines of code, right? so how can they say 20,000 what if you can optimize a program to be less @_@

TMSTKSBK

Lord
DontdroptheSOAD said:
I haven't taken anyone programming classes, but i'm curious when you say lines, you mean lines of code, right? so how can they say 20,000 what if you can optimize a program to be less @_@

After talking to the teacher, and several students who have already taken the class, they all said that the programs averaged out to 15-20,000 lines of code...

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Ah ok.

But if you somehow managed to shrink it to 12,000 and have it work just as well, that would be ok?

ASayre

RunUO Developer
Removing all the white space and stuff and all the carraige returns makes your code faster.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
my code is slowly progressing to the solid blocks of text, instead of the
if
{

blah

}
else
{

blah

}

type of style...