RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZOMG! Screw computers, paper engineering is where it's at.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
ZOMG! Screw computers, paper engineering is where it's at.

Yeah.

I was bored and looking at the average salaries of random majors on graduation.
BTW: This is all true, but I'm saying it in a joking manner. I honestly don't care...

Get this.

Paper Engineers make MORE THAN COMPUTER ENGINEERS!!

Only $3k/yr more-ish...but STILL!

Which one sounds more complicated to you?

Description of Major
Paper Science & Engineering combines elements of chemical engineering, chemistry, environmental science, and business management. Students are exposed to science, engineering, and cutting edge technology in a curriculum that emphasizes finding solutions to real world problems and learning how to develop futuristic products and environmentally friendly processes. It is the top rated program of its kind in the nation.

Description of Major
What sets computer engineering apart from either electrical engineering or computer science is that it combines expertise in both electronic hardware and software design. The computer engineer has the understanding needed to evaluate the trade-offs between hardware and software and provide the best system at lowest cost.

The phenomenal growth of this field has been fueled by rapid advances in integrated circuit microprocessors and solid state memories, which have brought about enormous computing power in small packages and at low cost. Computers now form the heart of most electronic systems, ranging from elaborate robotic controls to toys. A familiar example of such a system is the telephone. With the elimination of hard-wired electromagnetic relays to switch calls from source to destination, today's systems use computers to determine the path required to make the desired connection. Since software controls operation of the system, it can be programmed in many ways to provide useful features.

The core curriculum builds on a foundation of basic courses in calculus, physics, chemistry, and the humanities. Additional courses draw heavily from other disciplines such as computer science, mechanical engineering, materials science, manufacturing, management, and finance.

Computer engineering undergraduates choose three areas of specialization from six: communications and signal processing, electronic circuits, electric power, solid state electronics, computer engineering, and computer networking.
(Is it just me, or was that a pita to read? >_<)

If that doesn't convince you, here are the courses involved in each major:

Courses include:

Courses include: Wood & Pulping Chemistry, Papermaking Technology, Paper Properties & Additives, Production & Operations Management, Environmental Issues, Wood & Paper Science

Courses include:

Introduction to Computer Engineering, Electric Circuits, Fundamentals of Login Design, Analytical Foundations of Electrical & Computer Engineering, Linear Systems, Electromagnetic Fields, Microelectronics, Design of Complex Digital Systems, Technical Electives, Senior Design Project*

*The senior design project in computer engineering is a semester long activity involving teams of students applying engineering and basic sciences to the total design of hardware and software systems. Consideration of the design process including feasibility study, preliminary design detail, cost effectiveness, development and evaluation of a prototype, and a written report and presentation are included.

The end sum of this?

Paper Science:
Salary
Baccalaureate - $ 55,146

Computer Engineering:
Salary
Baccalaureate - $ 52,464

Difference:
$2682

(p.s.: Computer Science - $ 50,820)

S

Savaal

It doesn't matter what sounds more complicated, it's a matter of preference...

I would never do a job for the soul purpose that it made more money, if i'm going have a career and keep it, it better be something I love to do... so in the case I would choose the Computer Engineer.

P.S - It's a 2k Difference, big whoop... if I was making this...

Computer Engineering:
Salary
Baccalaureate - $ 52,464

That extra 2k wouldn't really matter... well to me it wouldn't.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
allow me to clarify...excepting chemistry, and the calc sequence, paper science seems simple. Com Engr takes a chem, and the calc sequence, and then takes 52 dozen more math classes...

Savaal, I'm joking, bro...take a chill pill.

(Why am I in Computer Engineering if I hate math :(?)

S

Savaal

Then you totally make my point valid.....

Savaal said:
it's a matter of preference...

If you hate math then don't be a Comp Engineer... bottom line.

What i'm saying.... is this.... don't be a Paper Engineer for the money... do what makes you happy, hell be a prostitute if that's your dream seriously...

TMSTKSBK

Lord
d00d. You're taking the idea wrong >_<.

And...yah...it's a *joke*...you're supposed to go "haha, that's funny."

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
IF your in it for the money, be a lawyer.

You get paid to argue, how awsome is that.

S

Savaal

I know it's a joke, and no i'm not taking it in the wrong way.. I just didn't find it funny.

I'm sorry, I just felt things need to be said and I was on a rant...

TMSTKSBK

Lord
I don't really care about $2500 when I'm making $52.5k/yr, either...

I just found it interesting that paper engineers make more than computer engineers...is it a supply thing?

(I mean...who wants to *be* a paper engineer? It sounds horribly boring...)

S

Savaal

I think it is more of a supply thing, Computers are very popular.

Be that as it may, "Paper" is used.. well... it's used every day everywhere... wether it be a receipt from the store you use to scribble a note on the back of.

Radwen

Wanderer
My dad is a paper engineer and he loves his job.

Humm .. well not exacly. That was a plain lie. But meh. Who cares.

bzk90

Lord
Radwen said:
My dad is a paper engineer and he loves his job.

Humm .. well not exacly. That was a plain lie. But meh. Who cares.

:eek: LIAR!!

*sighs*I hate math but i want to do computer networking &/or Web Desgin/Development for a living. this article bummed me out :(

X-SirSly-X

Sorceror
forget both of those this is what you should go for a CISSP certification. Just do a search for that at any tech job site:

www.bigmoneyjobs.com
www.dice.com
www.monster.com

basically every job is around 115k+

Hopefully by this Oct, I'll have it. I already have a BA degree in IT, and right now I'm in a 9 month training program to get these certs:
MCSE: Server 2003
MCSE: Security
CCNA
MCSE: Exchange Server
LPIC 1 & 2

So hopefully by this time next I'll be able to buy everyone a jager-bomb :)

Rabban

Sorceror
TMSTKSBK said:
(p.s.: Computer Science - $ 50,820)
Woot woot...

By the way, where are you getting your numbers from? Last I checked for UF graduates, the average starting salary for comp eng was 58-60k and comp sci was 53-58k.

Sunshine

Wanderer
wow ..well I think I will stick to teaching though.

My 1st year teaching was on average in my home state:

30K contract called for
185 days
-10 Hoildays
- 10 sick days a year can be carreid over to next year(s)
- 1 personal day " "
- 3 emergency days

Ohh work hours
8 hours
- 1 hour planning period
- (2) 30 mins recess time
- 30 min lunch

Summer and after school over time paid 20:00 an hour in addition to the above listed pay.

hmmmm I love teaching
no nights, hoildays, or weekends

TMSTKSBK

Lord
My numbers are coming from the NCSU careers site. I forget where they get 'em from...some number clearinghouse or something.